Black People : The Educated Slave

It is a fallacy to believe:

Some blacks with degrees aren't truly educated --> thus blacks shouldn't seek degrees but should instead define their own education.

It is not a matter of seeking a degree but requiring a degree. By that I mean that degrees can help greatly in your payment and how you go along with the capitalist structure in this world while not defining yourself with the degree, only seeing it as a steping stone to knowledge of self and furthering the path to positivity of your people.

One is this persistent use of the word "Slave" in a derogatory reference for black people. It's old, and more importantly, reflects a deep-seated self-hatred.

On the surface it reflects a militancy and a "concious" mind-set, but look deeper...

If you are an African American your most recent ancestors were most likely slaves...to continue to dishonor them with this rhetoric is dishonoring your own self. In fact those who do it while in the same breath proclaiming "know thyself" are missing this self-contradiction.

I see what you mean, but since I am not the author of the writing I can only interpret. By "slave" I thinks he means somebody who has no mind of their own and defines themselves by what others will or will not say and do.It is similiar to how cops treat police dogs.

Police dogs are traind hard.They are the toughest, smartest ,kindest,and fastest.But having all of that does not take away the fact that they are no more than a utensil for someone else and may have no knowledge of what to do when a "criminal" shows up except for what the cop (master, or teacher, with no knowledge exceptfor of what someone else told them)
tells them to do.

I do not think it was meant to be(just intrepreting)degrading, but to highlight that the "educated" peoples are nothing more than dogs on a intellectual leash, that can set themselves free at any time but does not realize they have the oppurtunity or are even on the leash.

It all deals with how you measure "intelligeince" and "knowledge".

kemetkind said:
Very thought-provoking thread and welcome to Destee brother Ikahn.

I think with respect to education both ikahn and ceo are on point - we must define our own curriculums which produce sufficient knowledge of self for our own children.

Secondly, while it is important for us to educate our children in a concious curriculum, enabling them for future action supporting our people, that DOES NOT mean IN ANY SHAPE FORM OR FASHION we shouldn't be DEMANDING they succeed in the existing educational institutions available to them.

BOTH are absolutely required, not one or the other.

Though the truths about their ancient origins are not, the critical disciplines of math/logic, science and technology are race neutral.
kemetkind said:
Thank you brother Kemit for those kind remarks. Althrough I respect and agree with some of the things you have written. I must respectfully disagree with some of your remarks.

Your right the situation we are in know as a people does require us to succeed in our present educational institutions. But that does not mean we should blindly look at these institutions as the best are only source of any creditiable academic endeavour. Our goal as a people must be to gradually whine ourselves from the dependency of relying on there systems of education to prepare our children for the future.

I want to look at a couple of things you said.

Though the truths about their ancient origins are not, the critical disciplines of math/logic, science and technology are race neutral. [/color]

This statement could not be farther from the truth. The first thing I want to respond to is the fact that all education is political and when someone tells you that it isn't. They are doing one of the most political things.
You have to ask yourself this math for what, science for who? Why does a people need this type of knowledge and why should it be made a great deal about in any society. One of the biggest tricks whites play on us in schools is the trick of teaching a subject particular math and science in away to make it appear race neutral. Simply because they don't say this is a European science or math class. Does not mean we should foolishly believe that it is race neutral. This type of game when it is played does not allow the African when he enters his or her science class. To see the connection of the two they just go in class and soak up all of the info and assume that they are getting the same knowledge of the european classmate. But when it is all said and done the info will lead the European student in a direction where they will continue to use their science and technology to dominant and rule. While the African students will be lead in another direction his or her knowledge will not and cannot be used to uplift and support his people. The knowledge they gain will only be used by the very same people who educated him. The African will only become a good worker, who can only use his knowledge to support and maintain those who are dominant over him and his people.

I'll give you and example the African will go into a class and a european child will go into that same class. The subject for today will be the old rat in the cage experiment. In the experiment the two children will see what happens to a subject when you dictate are control the social consequences of the rat. By controlling the rat with the reward and punishment scenario. You all know the experiment so I'm not going to go threw all the details. So afther it is all said and done the African child could have a better knowledge of what was going on in the experiment. In fact the African child could have a more scientific mind then the european child. Yet even under that scenario the African child has still not been educated in away that he could use his knowledge to uplift his people. "Why you ask?"

Because unlike the european in the class the African has been taught in away he thinks is race neutral. So he automatically identifies himself with the experimentor who is the teacher as well as his classmate. He sees them and they are both men so naturally he identifies with them. You see this type of thinking is another handicap for the African because we will brag about this type of education. We would look at this scenario and bubble over with pride that this African boy is smart, he even knows sceince better than the european child. But look closely ladies and gentlemen if you really look at the situation of African people all over this world who should we really be identifying ourselves with in this experiment. We should not be identifying with the teacher and the european child. "Why?" Because we are that rat in that experiment people. That's exactly what's going on to Africans all over this world. But we have been made to believe a lie that these subjects are race neutral. So know we can't make the proper connections between the two.

We have all kinds of African doctors, scienctist, and engineers but yet none of these people can effectively deal with, our solve the problems we have as a people. Yet you see other people making all kinds of advancements in science and technolgy. They are using there knowledge to help bring there people into the 21st century. We have fail to make the connection between the two race and technology. And this failure is not by accident but I will get into that later. My point is this math and technology does not come from people just having scientific minds and by people who just know math. Those types of people have to be supported by a people way of thinking. Before you can have any type of scienctific research going on within a group of people. That people must have the political infrastructure as while as the economic institutions to support it. I mean how else our you going to be able to afford the resources you need in any order for scientific research to take place. You have to be able as a people to support that why of thinking. Because the scientist themselves need labs and tools to study and go about there work.

So we are not going to produce African science and technology until Africans are in a position where they can afford to pay for this type knowledge. For us to really benefit from having that type of knowledge the African must produce first the political and economic infrastructure that can pay for and support that way of thinking. And in order for the African to truly benefit from that knowledge not only does he have to be a position to support it. It must also be taught to us in away that represents our true history. Which is based on our reality. So that our scientists, and engineers and doctors will base there thoughts and attitudes on using their gifts and knowledge to solve our problems.

youngblackceo said:
Thank you brother Kemit for those kind remarks. Althrough I respect and agree with some of the things you have written. I must respectfully disagree with some of your remarks.

Your right the situation we are in know as a people does require us to succeed in our present educational institutions. But that does not mean we should blindly look at these institutions as the best are only source of any creditiable academic endeavour.
No sir brother, "blindly" looking at institutions as the "best or only" source of academic endeavor is not something I have advocated.

However, diminishing the importance of formalized education serves us no good.

Until you can show me a people anywhere on this planet achieving anything without it - I'm not able to see any merit in that approach. We may just have to agree to disagree on that.

youngblackceo said:
Our goal as a people must be to gradually whine ourselves from the dependency of relying on there systems of education to prepare our children for the future.
I agree with this in part. We cannot rely on western education to teach our children about their own history or provide them with knowledge of self. In the short-term though, we would be "throwing the baby out with the bath water" if we went beyond that and encouraged our children not to seek formalized education.

youngblackceo said:
I want to look at a couple of things you said.

Though the truths about their ancient origins are not, the critical disciplines of math/logic, science and technology are race neutral. [/color]

This statement could not be farther from the truth. The first thing I want to respond to is the fact that all education is political and when someone tells you that it isn't. They are doing one of the most political things.
You have to ask yourself this math for what, science for who? Why does a people need this type of knowledge and why should it be made a great deal about in any society. One of the biggest tricks whites play on us in schools is the trick of teaching a subject particular math and science in away to make it appear race neutral. Simply because they don't say this is a European science or math class. Does not mean we should foolishly believe that it is race neutral.

I'm not following you here. Does 3x=15 solve differently if you're black than if you're white? Who has been "tricked" here if you believe it does?

Now if you are saying black children inherently learn differently and progress more rapidly when taught by black educators....I've no argument there. But that's involves HOW the subject matter is taught - not WHAT. The WHAT is the race-neutral part. Some groups in the last 50 years have made SERIOUS cultural commitments to its mastery- chinese, indians, etc., while we're going the other direction, running around calling the kids who achieve in school sell-outs.

The only thing I see political about science and math is public schools putting the weakest, most unqualified teachers in those subjects.

youngblackceo said:
We have all kinds of African doctors, scienctist, and engineers but yet none of these people can effectively deal with, our solve the problems we have as a people. Yet you see other people making all kinds of advancements in science and technolgy. They are using there knowledge to help bring there people into the 21st century. We have fail to make the connection between the two race and technology. And this failure is not by accident but I will get into that later. My point is this math and technology does not come from people just having scientific minds and by people who just know math. Those types of people have to be supported by a people way of thinking. Before you can have any type of scienctific research going on within a group of people. That people must have the political infrastructure as while as the economic institutions to support it. I mean how else our you going to be able to afford the resources you need in any order for scientific research to take place. You have to be able as a people to support that why of thinking. Because the scientist themselves need labs and tools to study and go about there work.

So we are not going to produce African science and technology until Africans are in a position where they can afford to pay for this type knowledge. For us to really benefit from having that type of knowledge the African must produce first the political and economic infrastructure that can pay for and support that way of thinking. And in order for the African to truly benefit from that knowledge not only does he have to be a position to support it. It must also be taught to us in away that represents our true history. Which is based on our reality. So that our scientists, and engineers and doctors will base there thoughts and attitudes on using their gifts and knowledge to solve our problems.

This is a solid argument and the end goal is on point, but I don't agree with the routes you propose to get there.

You say we must build a political and economic infrastructure before we could expect any black scientists and engineers to bring value.

Who is going to supply this economic base you speak of? Where is the money coming from? Do the uneducated and unskilled Africans have the means OR the motivation to build these institutions FIRST, before we begin training up our scientists?

Also, you're making broad generalizatons that aren't accurate. When you say,
youngblackceo said:
We have all kinds of African doctors, scienctist, and engineers but yet none of these people can effectively deal with, our solve the problems we have as a people. Yet you see other people making all kinds of advancements in science and technolgy.

you're missing that these black folk ARE making all kinds of advancements in science and technology right here! Go do some research on the thought leaders in any of those disciplines - you'll find BLACK folk right there!

There is tremendous talent and skill in the Black community and we're fully capable of dealing with our problems. Don't get it twisted there is a segment of our community that is STR8 UP taking care of business. There is a group of kids coming up that are STR8 UP protected and watched and nourished and pushed and WILL be our leaders of tomorrow.

So the question is how do we grow that group, expand it for all economic classes. Simply calling educated black folks slaves and saying education is the white man's tool is not the answer.

If it was the folks adhering to that strategy would have something to show for it.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back