Health and Wellness : The Black Gay Community has lost the Battle against HIV & AIDS.

Thinking more about this, I don't agree 100% with the premise..."self-hate leads to self destruction" because it under estimates the ability of people to choose to change things about themselves that they have the power to change--how they view themselves and connect with the world around them.

I agree, self-destructive behavior can stem from hating things about yourself but hating things about yourself doesn't always lead to self-destructive behavior. It's not a state of mind one is born with, it is learned behavior and thought patterns.

But low self-esteem or not feeling good about yourself compared to others is not a death sentence--unless--you want it to be. Even existing in that mindset, there is still a choice that can be made to change. If one could even suggest that "self-hate" is a form of mental illness, then we can hope that it can be professionally treated.

Thinking more about this, I don't agree 100% with the premise..."self-hate leads to self destruction" because it under estimates the ability of people to choose to change things about themselves that they have the power to change--how they view themselves and connect with the world around them.

I agree, self-destructive behavior can stem from hating things about yourself but hating things about yourself doesn't always lead to self-destructive behavior. It's not a state of mind one is born with, it is learned behavior and thought patterns.

But low self-esteem or not feeling good about yourself compared to others is not a death sentence--unless--you want it to be. Even existing in that mindset, there is still a choice that can be made to change. If one could even suggest that "self-hate" is a form of mental illness, then we can hope that it can be professionally treated.
this would all be true if the person KNEW that they had the issue.
most ill persons do not know they are ill.

how many black people do you know who are aware of mental illness issues?

the black community suffers from undiagnosed and untreated mental illness.

mental health.jpg

Last edited:
NBHAAD-2016-Infographic-Full-1024x791.png

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back