Health and Wellness : The Black Gay Community has lost the Battle against HIV & AIDS.

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by skuderjaymes, May 17, 2014.

1. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
  2. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Interesting video. Very interesting. While I'm aware of HIV & AIDS (I used to teach a course in the 90's), this guy took me back to what isn't in the books. One of the guys I worked with at the time was a white male gay. In my study materials, I read about the effects of mainly, AIDS. He had a friend who died of it. What he told me curled my toes. The question going about the office was something like "would you date a person with AIDS if they used protection?" I asked it of him. He cut his eyes at me, snorted, and said he wouldn't go near a guy with AIDS! He turn proceeded to "curl my toes" by telling me about the friend (not lover, friend) he had taken care of until he died, about what he went through.

Looking at this video, we get another second-hand look at HIV from one who has seen it first hand. I, too, thought HIV folk just take their "cocktail" of pills and go on about their business. Some, ole boy says, but not "all."

Very sobering.

Although he posted it for a gay audience, it's an excellent "ditch the rose-colored glasses" video that heterosexuals, as well, need to see.

Thanx.

(Although I was a lil put off by his hairless, hulking, half-naked-looking appearance! :lol: )

3. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    I think the problem maybe that many of us have not seen the actual effects of AIDS. I took a course title side course that lasted about 2 days and all we saw what handouts. That does not really give you are picture of what people actually go through. Since you have done work in this field, can you give me a side that the handouts can't, and don't give?

Peace!

4. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,135
    Brothers and sisters with the problem don't receive the same care as others, unless they have their own cash source. Moreover, the health care system constantly tests us for the disease whether we want it or even know it. I got into an argument with an MD over this. He claimed it was because of the prevalence of the disease in our community. When I told him his exposure to communicable diseases were a lot higher than ours, because of the nature of his profession. How often was he tested? And I wanted to see the results! Suddenly he changed his tune

5. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    In that little 2 day course I was in had the woman who's father is in prison, and he has HIV. And she was saying that he has to take about 30 pills a day (if I recall right). So this should give us and indication of the person that is out on the street. The prison buys his meds, so they don't feel the brunt of having to pay for something they need.

Peace!

6. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,743
    :qqb009: looks gay to me.........

7. I'm Becoming Me

I'm Becoming Me Well-Known Member MEMBER

Lover & Fighter...
    Ratings:
    +1,219
    It's not just the black gay community infected and dying from this disease.

Once again, half the people on this forum claim to not even like us, yet continually post threads about homosexuality.

Nope, didn't watch video. The thread title alone shows me where it will end up going.

Half of the continent of Africa is infected and not to mention heterosexuals right here in America.

Blacks don't get proper treatment, period for this disease,.not just homosexuals.

8. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,743
    :10500:i never been able to figure that one out.........

9. I'm Becoming Me

I'm Becoming Me Well-Known Member MEMBER

Lover & Fighter...
    Ratings:
    +1,219
    This is one of those days my skin is real thin and I may end up banned, permanently.

10. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,743
    take a break and cool off. come back another day. ain't none of this mess worth fighting over.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List