Black People : Stock up on food and think about buying lots for community gardens

I'm liking this useful thread.

So here's a couple things I've considered myself in terms of survival, and a few nifty things I learned from and ex-paratrooper who took what was meant to be a relaxing vacation and made it into a grueling patrol through camping and orientation hell.

:whip:

First, the scenarios that must be considered beyond food and water shortage. I'll list them and deal with each one in a bit of detail, then close with a list of items or techniques that might be handy.

1. Martial Law - This is an inevitable outcome of any catastrophic event in which evacuations are mandatory, there are food and/or water shortages, war, or given the Patriot Act can be enacted at the whim of the dictatorship as needed. The important thing to consider here is that unless you wish to wind up in an internment camp, you may want to stay on the move. This is more applicable to those who live in urban, as opposed to rural areas. The first thing they will come for is your guns.

2. Shelter From Elements - If you need to be on the move, you'll need to stay warm and dry.

3. Gasoline Restrictions/Scarcity - An inevitable outcome of martial law, catastrophic events, evacuations, economic meltdown, etc. Travelling light becomes extremely important here. Whether one is mobile for fleeing purposes, in an effort to find family, locate food and water, or in seeking out less inclimate weather and environmental conditions, it is imperative to travel light, but also be able to carry a surplus of food and water (if available) while doing so.

4. Grid Failure - This scenario would follow a solar flare event, and recent data suggests these are on the rise and causing dramatic earth changes (increased volcanic activity, earthquakes, and satellite bake-outs). In the wake of economic failure, this is an inevitable outcome for inner city and urban areas.

5. Industrial Pollution - This is a dangerous threat to survival most fail to consider. It is inevitable in the wake of grid failure, and severe ecomomic freefall in which plants and factories, nuclear waste sites, and refineries cannot be properly manned. This scenario can also occur during the aftermath of catastrophic natural events, such as an earthquake, flood, or tsunami. It presents unique challenges unto itself in terms of protecting the body, water supply, food, and air.

So here is a compiled list which I will continue to add to in future edits to this post as they come to me. Feel free to add some of your own.

Plastic Pancho - A lightweight plastic hooded pancho found at fishing/outdoor stores on the cheap. The great thing about these is their large size, as they can be rigged to keep you and your supplies warm and dry in the rain whether squatting or moving. Create a canopy by draping the pancho laterally over a low hanging branch of a bush or tree. Tie off the ends using twine and anchor with aluminum tent spikes or sticks in the ground, consider the wind velocity and direction of it's drive when choosing an anchor or branch. The end result should resemble the shape of the roof of a doghouse, the kind Snoopy had in Charlie Brown. If your pancho does not have metal O-rings at the corner for tie-off purposes, burn them into it with a lit cigarette.

Ball of plastic fishing line or twine - Fishing line is stronger than twine.

LED Mini-Laser Light - These excel over wind-up flashlights for nightime travel for several reasons. First, they are tiny. And second, they come in colors like red, green and blue beams. This is useful at night as it does not restrict the dilation of your pupils as does white light, allowing your eyes to stay adjusted in the dark while illuminating your path without creating a beam which others can detect easily. These are not the pin-point lights seen in boardrooms, but army-issued lifetime, waterproof, LED lights that diffuse a beam and light a large area over long distances. You can read by hanging them at the top of your tent, or pancho and they last for years on end. The best ones are about the size of a quarter and have a keychain or clip attachment. Find these at your high-end survival stores.

Water Bladder - Commonly used by cyclists to drink whilst riding. By far when on the move, one of the most important things is to carry enough water, which is heavy and takes up a lot of space. These devices solve that issue handily, but usually won't last beyond a year so a patching system is important, or carry an extra bladder.

I will come back and add to this later tonight, because posting from my phone makes my fingers cramp. I have a lot more!

Once the dollar drops, things will get real hectic.
Stock up on canned;
fruits
vegetables
nuts
vitamins minerals
beans
herbal capsules
veg meats
fish

dry beans, grains, dry veg meats, dry beans, dry nuts and seeds, all dry fruits,
green tea,
olive oil,
agave,
raw honey,
sea salt
dry peppers,
dry fish; African and Caribean

Next time you goto the Block association meeting, try to initiate a discussion of jointly purchasing or leasing a empty lot in the are that can be cleaned up and used as a community farm, and when purchsing seeds , please only purchase HEIRLOOM seeds, which means seeds as they were created in nature without genetic modification

This is also a good site:

http://www.readyforanything.org/

Report: Food Prices Already Starting to Skyrocket
Monday, 09 Aug 2010 10:17 AM
Article Font Size

Experts warn that overall food-price inflation is inevitable, as Wal-Mart reportedly has already hiked prices amid a recent jump in wheat prices and the failure of the Russian harvest.

The most immediate impact will be felt in the price of bread and bakery products but other food items which make use of grain will also rise, according to analysis from Verdict research. This includes some meat products where grain is used as animal feed.

Meanwhile, a recent JPMorgan survey of supermarket pricing in Virginia showed a 5.8 percent increase in average prices at Wal-Mart, which represents the most significant sequential increase since the inception of the study in January 2009, the Business Insider reported.

The survey compared a 31 item like-kind basket at a Wal-Mart Supercenter, Kroger, Safeway, Harris Teeter, and Whole Foods, the Business Insider reported.

Should wheat prices remain elevated for the next few months, shelf prices for many products could go up by 6.7 percent within a year, Verdict reported. Some items, such as croissants, could go up by as much as 11.1 percent.

http://www.moneynews.com/StreetTalk/Food-Prices-Skyrocket/2010/08/09/id/366979

things that folks can put a few dollars away for, are

1.a hydropnics kit or terarium that can be placed almost anywhere in the home, and is as atttractive as a house plant stand

2 a food dehydrator to dehydrate various produce grown as well as purchased organic fruits and vegetables

3 A vacu seal kit that will storeones dehydrates for a cosiderable time, in vacusealed bags

Also stock up on vitamin-mineral combos, from health food stores, supplements you personally need, and natural antibiotic-acting supplements like oil of oregano, and silver nitrate

just in case Codex Alimentarius, kicks in as law

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back