Black People : Should I stand up for my rights or kiss white *** to get by

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by 04rskyers, Sep 23, 2010.

1. 04rskyers

04rskyers Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Brothers and sisters am i lost and i don't know what to do.
    I am 17 years old living in London going to college getting ready to go university next year.

The situation is that in college we have morning and evening registrations, and in those registrations we have presentations.

I have been here a year and a half, and everyday we watch clips on how poor Africa is, how Crime is high, disease every where, children starving, basically always making Black people look like charity cases.

Now I grew in jamaica and my friend grew up in nigeria and we already know this isn't true and we are trying.

We asked why do you always make us look like all we want is charity, and we are dependent on european intervention. why can't you show people such as garvey, ken sawo wiwa, bob marley, fela kuti. People in our countries that sacrificed themselves for us, show our peoples culture and traditons, and how there are people like us trying to make a difference.

Instead they tell us to shut up, and how ungrateful we are, how we don't know anything, how their educating us about us our people and how we think were better than people in Afrika, thats why we don't wana hear it.

they don't even wana give us black history month.

And now their trying to kick us out, bring our parents in saying that were ungrateful in trying to challenge the system which "apparently" is taking care of us.

i don't whether i should give up and kiss her *** to get to university or try prove my point and risk getting kicked out.
    what should i do?
    :10500:

2. Full Speed

Full Speed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,045
    Something seems trollish about this post. Amnat77, are you out there? You have any insights on this post? SofiA, you know anything about this?

Evening and morning "registrations"...is that simply registering for school or classes? If so, why are they giving presentations on Africa during registrations?? If it's an actual class what are they following a textbook or curriculum?

Are you challenging the textbooks or curriculum used, or is this some teacher spouting off their opinion without supporting curriculum or textbooks?

What rights are you talking about standing up for? Or are you referring to standing up for what you believe to be the truth as opposed to what you believe that they are presenting to be a lie?

Now, here is an antagonistic type of question, but it begs to be asked...at least it spikes my couriousity. If Nigeria and Jamaica are not the negative places you are being told that they are, why did your families choose to go to London rather than remain in those countries so that you would not have to endure such treatment.

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    :fyi: shut up and go to school........

4. StefiA

StefiA Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +215
    I was puzzled when I read this at first. We definitely had morning and afternoon registration, but not evening ones cause we were on our way home by mid-afternoon. Why are they just concentrating on Africa in these presentations? - like in the whole time I was in the 6th form we maybe had like two or three presentations about Africa and charity. What the teachers are saying is such totally blatant racism - in 'MY' experience any racism from teachers tends to be a bit more subtle, at least in state schools. Is this like some private language college or something? Cause I've never heard of anyone being expelled from a comp or an academy for being ungrateful???

5. Full Speed

Full Speed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,045
    :SuN049: James, you are a trip. I think you missed your calling.

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,689

04rskyers ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :wave:

First, cursing isn't allowed here, so please don't do that anymore.

Second, my advice would be to do none of the options you've provided.

You don't have to give up and kiss behind to get to university, or risk getting kicked out.

We live in a world that often portrays Black People / Africans in demeaning and diminishing ways. This is not new. It did not start with this class you're in, this school you're attending, or when you were born. It's been going on for generations and generations. There will probably be little that you can do individually, at this point in your life, to stop it or them. The most you and your friend can do, if you continue openly challenging them, is risk getting kicked out. That would be a terrible end. We don't want that.

You're not the only Black person that has to try and ignore, look over, the very racist things that are said and done regarding our people, in order to get ahead and perhaps be in a better position later, to effect positive change. What you're experiencing now, most every other Black Person in the world has seen the same.

My suggestion to you, is to try and ignore it. Remember why you are there, at that institution of higher learning. Try to get whatever they have to give, i.e., diplomas, accreditation, experience, knowledge, etc. See, what they really want, is for you not to get any of that. They want to discourage and upset you so, that you get kicked out or walk away in frustration, and they don't ever have to worry about you in the future, being any threat to the status quo. You can't let them win in this way either.

I know it's hard, but just suck it up, and get all you can from the experience. Once you graduate, excel in all of their classes, finish first amongst the whole lot, there will be nothing (or at least little) they can do to hinder your ability to help your people ... should you come out of the training with this same determined mind to effect change ... and this is key too, for they don't want that either.

So ... relax a little, go along, play the game, for you know there is a greater reward coming ... one that perhaps your Mother, Father, GrandMother, and GrandFather did not have the opportunity to attain.

Remember too ... for it may be an encouragement when times like these show themselves ... that your Ancestors went through much more (loss of life, shedding of blood, etc.), so you could even have this opportunity. Make them proud. Also, if you are successful in weathering this storm, you will have FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE on how to help your children make it through all the easier. You will be able to tell them how, because you did it.

It's not about kissing anyone's behind ... don't feel that way ... it's about getting from them what you came for ... what is rightfully yours.

Let them call it charity, handouts, or whatever they want ... you just make sure you get it all ... be determined and stay focused on the goal.

Thanks for joining us and sharing ... and i wish you the very best with your studies!

Much Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

7. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    First let me say welcome to Destee.com community

Now you don't never have to kiss anything or stup low nor do you have to prove
    anything for you know who you are what our people are and how we as a people live
    today society has place'd us in these kinda groups and like the sister said this been going on
    like forever,it would take a lot of face changing and a collective force to change what has been place'd
    against us for so many years, no need to get kicked out , keep your eyes on the real prize
    education is the key not what they teach but what you learn by being observent
    just use mental awareness and complete your stay there .....I wish you well and thanks
    for joining us and sharing this , good advices has been given.......A wise soul don't
    reflect but gain knowledge to feed one's wisdomize mind , there is where you win the battle
    forget the war...peace within .

8. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,926
    If you are real,I say stand on principle as long as you can afford it. Many times I've had to use this phrase when i was losing sight of what was important. You have pick your battles.

peace!

9. 04rskyers

04rskyers Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    thank you brothers and sisters for the advice
    and i won't curse again sorry

peace

10. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +565
    :fyi: kissin booty is extra.
    How much more money do they want to pay for that?

I bite too. If they like that, it's extra extra.

If not, I still want my extra money.