Black People Politics : Question - why many Blacks are choosing Hillary Clinton over Bernie Sanders

bearwarrior

REGISTERED MEMBER
May 23, 2016
I have a question for you all. I am wondering why many Blacks are choosing Hillary Clinton over Bernie Sanders when way back in the 60s he stood side by side and was even arrested for fighting for your rights where Hillary never did that for you. I wish that Obama could run for a third term. I think he has done a good job despite having to fight hand, tooth and nail against the Senate and Congress. I don't agree with everything he has done and him not releasing Leonard Peltier (a Native American Prisoner of War for the last 40 years) really pissed me off. I am just wondering why Hillary over Bernie?

Yes, Bernie Sanders, the System Is Rigged—What Else Is New?

Whining won’t win the Democratic presidential candidate black votes. Here’s why

510264550-democratic-presidential-candidate-sen-bernie-sanders-1.jpg

Bernie Sanders has no reason to be angry. He’s done more to raise his profile in the last 18 months than he’s done in over 30 years in the House and Senate. He’s managed to drag the Democratic Party left after years of centrist posturing by Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama. He’s raised millions and galvanized millions more. However, he and his supporters still complain that the primary system is rigged and the Democratic Party isn’t treating them fairly.

It was the belief that the Democratic establishment is out to get Sanders that led to the violence and disruptions at the Nevada State Democratic Party Convention last week. This attitude is also the main reason Sanders has failed to consistently resonate with African-American voters. Black folks have always known that the system is rigged—what they want is someone to change it, not just complain about it.
Objectively speaking, there is a great deal to like about Sanders’ political positions, regardless of your party affiliation. Who isn’t in favor of taking money out of the hands of big business and putting it back into the pockets of consumers? Who isn’t in favor of making Washington, D.C., more accountable to voters? You may quibble with
how Sanders proposes to accomplish his goals, or whether he can actually achieve them, but the goals themselves are pretty party-neutral, which is befitting a lifelong independent senator (more on that later).

Despite a strong message about economic inequality, Sanders has never managed to be competitive with African-American Democrats in primary states. Many have argued ad nauseam about why the Sanders campaign has struggled with black voters, and the arguments generally fall into two equally simplistic and nominally insulting categories: 1) Black folks are foolishly loyal to the Clintons in some form of electoral Stockholm syndrome; or 2) Black folks don’t ultimately know what’s best for them and don’t know Sanders well enough to realize that he’s the best choice.

Read more (2 pages)
http://www.theroot.com/articles/pol...anders_the_system_is_rigged_what_else_is_new/

I have a question for you all. I am wondering why many Blacks are choosing Hillary Clinton over Bernie Sanders when way back in the 60s he stood side by side and was even arrested for fighting for your rights where Hillary never did that for you. I wish that Obama could run for a third term. I think he has done a good job despite having to fight hand, tooth and nail against the Senate and Congress. I don't agree with everything he has done and him not releasing Leonard Peltier (a Native American Prisoner of War for the last 40 years) really pissed me off. I am just wondering why Hillary over Bernie?

Personally, I'm pulling for the Bern to become the presumptive nominee for Democrats.

The question you pose speaks to a "generational divide" of younger folk for progressive change, across the board. Unless you have some figures, its hard to tell how many (most) Blacks are for Hillary over Bernie.

At Destee, I haven't seen any Clinton supporters. The divide is between those who are voting for Sanders, and those who believe AAs should not vote.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back