Plight Deepens for Black Men, Studies Warn

Riada said:
Wow! I think it's best if I just keep my ideas to myself.

I don't think that's best, nor do others here, as we've all said many a time.

Just saying maybe its not required to point out the differences we've had with others as a preface to our comments...especially if we've already recognized the pattern of where that leads....may be better to just discuss our own ideas and leave the other stuff in the past.

I was just trying to help...please don't take this as an attack. :coffee:

spicybrown said:
Just as I stated in a similar thread. It's time to buckle up, strap on our helmets and get down, dirty, and aggressive. Capitalism is no joke!

I just finished stating in the Sprituality and Religion thread (Paraphrasing) that we always know that if we do what we have to do, then DIS-TRACTIONS are going to come left and right. Next thing you know, it will no longer be an issue that we stand up against. Sort of like that thread [I think Queenie started] back in November 2004 after Bush was re-elected. We spoke about how much it was time to play no games, and get down to business, but then on came the distractions and interference (one being focused on threads that were not important at all).

I am not asking (By the way, I am a young Black Man, and my credentials are building as I speak) what are we going to do; I am asking When will we be ready to dispose of the distractions and interference so that we can do what we need to do?

In times like this, we don't have time for disruptions; it's time to get to war!

By the way Destee, I feel that we may be some of the first liberated people by the time the war is done!

CD

Do we have to sink low in order to climb high?

militant said:
I will outline examples below:

Oil blocks
Many Iron and other mineral industries
Pharmamcueticals

I only mention Africa as it seems to be capable of giving Black America more of an edge than say, competing with a European for Chinese/ Indian opportunities.

Should one make an effort to create these industries
(1) Young black males training as engineers, accountants e.t.c for these companies
(2) Young black males training as service workers for these engineers, accountants, managers e.t.c. Service workers being doctors, lawyers, teachers, e.t.c.

Very good points, Brother Militant. I absolutely agree that the industries that you mention are global powerhouses that could make a major impact on the Blacks in the Diaspora, not just African Ameericans. Can I also add to your list, the telecommunications industry currently being driven by corporate giants such as Microsoft? And what about the housing industry?

But allow me to ask, how does one manage to break into an already existing industry, particularly those that you have named? How do we accumulate enough wealth and power to build companies in these industries and be able to sustain long enough without being swallowed up by the industry giants who control the market?

You mentioned that AA's command $700b annual consumer potential but realistically speaking, how much of that buying power do you think Black entrepreneurs could persuade Black consumers to divert their dollars to invest in their corporations? What does it take to be a Sam Walton where Blacks run to places like Wal-Mart and Sam's Club everyday like groupies?

Personally, I think we as Black people need to be represented at all levels of the playing field. I agree we need to form corporations that drill for oil, but we also need to be present as owners of gas stations that sell fuel. We need researchers in labs as well as pharmaceutical corporate tycoons and pharmacists. Minerals--we need to control our ownership of land, own import/export businesses as well as be behind the counters selling the products.

This next point that I want to make is my issue, which may not be one for many who participate in this discussion. Can we also be compassionate capitalists and still successfully compete? Is that one of those oxymorons? Raping the earth of it's natural minerals; turning rain forests into vast land for grazing animals to sell at the market ruins the ecological system of the planet. Destroying trees for lumber and not replanting at the same rate...will doom us all in the end. And what about the issue of GREED, which we know is prevalent in this type of economy. How do WE ward off the evils of greediness such that we don't end up doing to ourselves what has been done to us by others for centuries? Setting money as the bottom line to any business transaction such that white people can pay you enough to own a commodity which can be used to further oppress us as a community. Can you have a conscious, be true to a supportive belief and still believe in capitalism? Is there anything on earth that the white man doesn't have a hand in that we can truly avoid not having to "dance with the devil" in order to uplift ourselves? And these are questions for anyone, not just you.

Just wondering...

Queenie :spinstar:

It’s interesting how all of our problems are all connected. I agree with Brother Pan’s assertion in the thread dealing with the History Of Marriage, Brother PanAfrica said, “The disintegration of the black family and the stagnation of black progress go hand in hand. The latter will not improve until the former is restored.” I believe unless we can reconnect Black men to purpose, which is to be an integral part of the circle and the family unit, he will continue to disintegrate. It’s like the subtitle of Brother Haki Madhubuti’s book Black Men, the subtitle ask a question in reference to Black men, basically is he “Obsolete, Single, Dangerous?”

The white patriarchs know they can permanently marginalize the Black community if they devalue the purpose of Black manhood and demonize it. Black men need to stop Gangsta’ Rappin’ about and embracing the glory of their demise and Black women need to reject the parasitical and paternal relationships they have with white European and American culture (even in the corporate world). Remember Sisters, while that white man is patting you on your backside saying, “you’re doing a darn good job” they’re trying to break a integral part of your backbone, which is the Black man. The rules in a chauvinistic patriarchal system are, “the one who has the seed is more important and dominant than the one who has the egg.” Don’t believe everything that feminist white woman tells you, “she knows who put the butter on her bread and she has not totally disowned her patriarchal white counterpart, if at all” The white man is controlling the Black woman’s womb, just like his own woman’s womb, through her mind. And because it’s not natural for Black women to be subjugated by another man, she is also disintegrating, for as the Black man is being displaced there is no male entity replacing him; and there will not be any this time. Even young Black women are slowing becoming more and more violent and anti-social because of the absence of productive and wise Black men at home and in their overall reality, not to even talk about the growing lesbianism among young Black women.

Also we have to remove the artificial concepts of class and caste in our community. Sister talk about “marrying down”, this is something borrowed from soap opera’s and fairy tales. I know plumbers and carpenters who make more than some post-grads and are better read than many college graduates. When Tavis Smiley had his so-called “state of the Black nation” convention no one explored Black men in the trades, outside of small mention about Trade Unions. You can’t be free if you need another man to build your nation.

The concepts of family and home, are more than just a Black man (or woman) having a education, good job and paying the bills, these are sacred paradigms that men respond to and are imbued with essence civility and passivity that were the original constructs of femininity and motherhood. If you remove the competitiveness from between Black men and women and the home, passivity is not the condescending definition it historically has been, but it becomes a balance to a seemingly very competitive patriarchal world. I believe this is the balance Black men are to often lacking. Historically, men usually explore serene and fertile environments to build on, these type of environs motivate the male psyche to settle down as he metaphysically reflects on the nature of a (original) woman’s serene and fertile nature. The Black woman is the spiritual catalyst for higher civilization. No matter how hard a man is, no sane and spiritually divined Black man chooses to build in environments that are hostile, for there is no balance to his masculinity.

Sun Ship said:
It’s interesting how all of our problems are all connected. I agree with Brother Pan’s assertion in the thread dealing with the History Of Marriage, Brother PanAfrica said, “The disintegration of the black family and the stagnation of black progress go hand in hand. The latter will not improve until the former is restored.” I believe unless we can reconnect Black men to purpose, which is to be an integral part of the circle and the family unit, he will continue to disintegrate. It’s like the subtitle of Brother Haki Madhubuti’s book Black Men, the subtitle ask a question in reference to Black men, basically is he “Obsolete, Single, Dangerous?”

The white patriarchs know they can permanently marginalize the Black community if they devalue the purpose of Black manhood and demonize it. Black men need to stop Gangsta’ Rappin’ about and embracing the glory of their demise and Black women need to reject the parasitical and paternal relationships they have with white European and American culture (even in the corporate world). Remember Sisters, while that white man is patting you on your backside saying, “you’re doing a darn good job” they’re trying to break a integral part of your backbone, which is the Black man. The rules in a chauvinistic patriarchal system are, “the one who has the seed is more important and dominant than the one who has the egg.” Don’t believe everything that feminist white woman tells you, “she knows who put the butter on her bread and she has not totally disowned her patriarchal white counterpart, if at all” The white man is controlling the Black woman’s womb, just like his own woman’s womb, through her mind. And because it’s not natural for Black women to be subjugated by another man, she is also disintegrating, for as the Black man is being displaced there is no male entity replacing him; and there will not be any this time. Even young Black women are slowing becoming more and more violent and anti-social because of the absence of productive and wise Black men at home and in their overall reality, not to even talk about the growing lesbianism among young Black women.

Also we have to remove the artificial concepts of class and caste in our community. Sister talk about “marrying down”, this is something borrowed from soap opera’s and fairy tales. I know plumbers and carpenters who make more than some post-grads and are better read than many college graduates. When Tavis Smiley had his so-called “state of the Black nation” convention no one explored Black men in the trades, outside of small mention about Trade Unions. You can’t be free if you need another man to build your nation.

The concepts of family and home, are more than just a Black man (or woman) having a education, good job and paying the bills, these are sacred paradigms that men respond to and are imbued with essence civility and passivity that were the original constructs of femininity and motherhood. If you remove the competitiveness from between Black men and women and the home, passivity is not the condescending definition it historically has been, but it becomes a balance to a seemingly very competitive patriarchal world. I believe this is the balance Black men are to often lacking. Historically, men usually explore serene and fertile environments to build on, these type of environs motivate the male psyche to settle down as he metaphysically reflects on the nature of a (original) woman’s serene and fertile nature. The Black woman is the spiritual catalyst for higher civilization. No matter how hard a man is, no sane and spiritually divined Black man chooses to build in environments that are hostile, for there is no balance to his masculinity.

Om point as usual. I have long emphasized the need for more technical and vocational training and am contemplating going to a technical school instead of continuing a graduate program in special education for exactly some of the reasons cited. One thing I notice travelling across the soth and southwest is how few Black workers there are in the construction of all these new housing developments. In my grandfather's era, Black men almost dominated construction sites. Not only as cnstruction workers but as trained, technicians, contractors, engineers and designers. I am now thinking I probably would have been better off If I had stayed in the engineering field instead of going into teaching. As far as Black men being replaced/displaced by immigrant workers, most folks know that many immigrants take on jobs that many Black men find undesireable and this was one truth in some of mexican president vicente fox's statements in the past. However, I doubt if these same immigrants are taking away jobs from Black men which require advanced education or technical skill. I think we do need to stop complaining about white corporate amerika not employing us and rather support our own business development and this includes developing our own businesses. I know this is difficult but know no other way as this was done by my father and his father' and his father's father as far back as I have knowledge of. If we continue to depend on white corporate amerika we will continue to complain because the facts show a lot of WHITE FOLKS are losing jobs as corporate amerika is down-sizing. This is why home foreclosure rates and bankruptcies are up among the white working class. Wake up folks. This is not simply a "black-white" issue.

There is one thing i hav noticed in Texas, for example, that is different than california. There are a lot more white folks in low-paying, low skill service jobs....especially in many restaurant and retail establishments...a lot of whites got hit hard not only in the silicon valley tech collapse...but also the dot.com bust....particularly in dallas and austin....and a lot of whites run different home-based businesses as a result....something I am also doing...more of us need to learn how to maarket our own skills or obtain the skills necessary to make ourselves more marketable....

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back