Plight Deepens for Black Men, Studies Warn

Discussion in 'Black Men - Fathers - Brothers - Sons' started by panafrica, Mar 25, 2006.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/20/n...rticle_popular_5&pagewanted=print&oref=slogin

2. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    " Black men in the United States face a far more dire situation than is portrayed by common employment and education statistics, a flurry of new scholarly studies warn, and it has worsened in recent years even as an economic boom and a welfare overhaul have brought gains to black women and other groups."

Just as I stated in a similar thread. It's time to buckle up, strap on our helmets and get down, dirty, and aggressive. Capitalism is no joke!

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I've written on numerous occasions, and you have touched on it as well spicy. Corporate America is systematically freezing black men out, and this isn't only happening to "uneducated black men". The call for black people (black men in particular) to start building their own companies and hiring their own, isn't some "militant fantasy"; it has become necessary for our survival.

4. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    I agree with you both, Brother Pan and Sister Spicy. I want to add though, that the Black community needs to also step up and play a major role in the rehabilitation and/or development of our Black men. How are WE, the community, supporting our men to help keep them out of prison or when they return from prison? Is there something WE can do that we're not doing now?

Queenie :spinstar:

5. spicybrown

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    Do you feel like they're replacing BM with other minorities, or immigrants? Also Sisters need to understand the challenges/oppositions that our men face, and will face. Brothers and Sisters will need to further their education in preparation for what lies ahead.. 4-6 years will pass regardless. We might as well spend that time pursuing a degree, putting one foot in the door, ahead of the entry level immigrants who are occupying the entry level positions in the workforce. Makes me wanna scream.

6. spicybrown

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    I'd hate to admit it, but there is not enough support in the AA communities towards BM development. I'd have to say it all begins in the home. On a wholescale, BM have lost control of their families, If a man cannot take leadership in his home, where else will he gather the strength and esteem to compete in the social and corporate world?

7. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Some suggestions...

Sister Spicy, what do you think about this? I hate to repeat what's already been written here thousands of times, but the data out there demands our attention. It's being published and read in the public arena and I agree, WE need to stop looking for any type of excuse such as racism...we all know that...or government "handouts" although the article suggests that has worked in Black women's favor...and start to look inward for some solid and doable solutions. If we start now, do you think we can influence the data in one generation?

Okay, the statistics are staggeringly high. Assuming they are as close to accurate as possible then I agree with Sister Spicy, it's past time we roll our sleeves up, buckle our seatbelts and get ready for a rough ride.

Recognize that capitalism is here now and will continue throughout our lifetime. To survive you have to have economic power.

We're not going to SAVE 100% of the Black male/female population but we should try to.

The numbers and percentages of Black men not graduating and having some confrontation with the legal system needs to drop.

Parents need to raise children with not only information about their need for an education, but also with a Black conscious.

We need more Black-on-Black unions between conscious and responsible people who can raise conscious babies.

Starting in the home, encourage excellence in education...K-12 and college. Continue conscious raising academics included with math, sciences and business.

Community should demand services that support us.

Stop giving ALL your money to the minister and start investing in the Black community where it's needed.

Own more businesses that can compete on a global level and not just selling afrocentric products.

Fire Black folk in the public arena that don't support or represent our interests.

Attend school meetings, city council meetings, all types of public meetings to gain knowledge and have a voice.

VOTE

Collectively purchase housing and maintain as rentals or sell to build an economic base

Take better care of our mental and physical health.

Just a few suggestions...

Queenie :spinstar:

8. spicybrown

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    Those aren't suggestions, more like truths.....Dr. NNQueen.

You could not have said that any better, NNQueen. I think it may take a couple of generations, which is how change usually takes place, to notice any results. The time is now, and it begins with raising conscious, strong-willed 'warriors'.

NNQueen" To survive you have to have economic power."

This is where pooling our resources becomes mandatory, buy Black, support black.

Also, we need to stop opening the doors of Black organizations to other ethnic groups. More than likely they will flood us out, while taking advantage of the 'diversity' these support systems have to offer.

9. Riada

Riada Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18
    Now this is a controversial solution to reverse this trend.

IMO, if thousands of Black male youth could be taken each year to live for a couple of years of their developing years in an African country (not South Africa), I’m convinced we would see an instant, almost magical change in them. Inside one generation or so, I believe we could end this “plight.” These boys would have to LIVE there among the people, not just visit.

From my standpoint, nothing else is going to make a dent. Even the best we can do here is piecemeal and is like putting a band aid on a hemorrhaging wound.

There are a few Black organizations that are already trying to do this, but our community, as usual, will not finance/support them.

As someone who has visited Nigeria several times and lived there for about a year, I’ll say it’s risky, because it is a developing country, but if I had male children, I wouldn’t hesitate, despite all the risks.

Sorry to be pessimistic about this, but without the realness of Africa in their lives, I don’t see much hope for most young Black males here.

10. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    Excellent article brother Pan. I had actually posted this link a few days ago in another thread but I think it warrants it own discussion.

I think one answer is in the black church. It is the only institution of any significant economic clout in our community controlled by grass-roots, and should it begin to deal seriously with using that economic power to start manufacturing, technology, and services businesses......

The issue of course is how to present the case in a persuasive enough manner to set knock any divergent agenda's they may have to a lower priority.

Articles like this one which publicize current trends should be broadcast and followed up with hard-hitting forecasts of how our communities will look in 10-15-20 years if these trends continue.