Black Parenting : No dating until 18?

I don't have children, no, but I was a child. I asked my parents if I could have a boyfriend at 14 as I felt mature enough to handle all things that came with dating; I had not done anything against their rules up to that point so I felt it could be a great reward.

My mama smiled and happily said, "No, 17.". Since 17 is the legal age for consent in the state of Louisiana, she gave me that much, lol.

I asked why in the most confused manner, and she simply said, I was too young. Looking back, I was too young indeed, and I believe 17 or 18 years old is definitely not too strict to set. I understand peer pressure and hormonal drives, but if you give your kid that kind of space, saying, it's okay to follow all of that, it'll be hard for them to break free from it later on in life.

So, I just took what I was given and didn't complain beyond that. It was better for me because it's as if I was given time to get a clearer head; to actually learn to prioritize what truly mattered in my life and I'm grateful I didn't rush it.

My mother promised me I could date at 15. When I got 15 she moved it to 16. When I got 16 she moved it to 17. I knew this was a sham. I got sneaky and took a LOT of chances. When things went sour to a point that a parent should have been alerted, they weren't because I would have gotten in trouble.

Having a child wait until they are 18, is not allowing them to date. They are grown at that point and can do as they choose. Allow the children to learn important lessons in a protected environment.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back