Black Spirituality Religion : Mami Wata and Voudon

dustyelbow

REGISTERED MEMBER
Oct 25, 2005
MAYBE a REPEAT so BARE with ME

So we all MISSED IT.

MEDIA INTRODUCTIONS...

Voodoo festival in West Africa celebrates ancestors with sacrifices, color and dancing

SOME not ALL (CHECK THE LINK) Nice COLOR PHOTO included.

benin03.jpg

"Texas photographer Karla Held joined from 10,000 other celebrants last January at the annual Festival of Vodoun — or Voodoo Festival — in the Republic of Benin."

benin04.jpg

"This is a memorial to the departed slaves. This grand arch, with its bas-relief depicting slaves in chains, leads to the Atlantic where the slaves were shipped for more than a century."

benin05.jpg

"Participation of the Phantome du nuit — Night Ghost — inside the sacred forest of Oudiah during the Voodoo Festival. The night ghosts serve as the night guardian for each neighborhood of Ouidah."

benin07.jpg

"Traditional music keeps the beat for the Voudounsi. Voudounsi are Voudon (or voodoo) initiates."

benin13.jpg

"The King Kpodegbe of Allada and the Queen Djehami arrive for the opening ceremonies at Ouidah Beach."

benin14.jpg

"Gin is sacrificed before departing to the sacred forest."

benin16.jpg

"A 'Yovo', second from left, ('white person' in the Fon language) participates in the festival."

benin22.jpg

"Voodoo Chiefs of the Ganbada sect stand in front of the Sacred Forest in Ouidah."

benin25.jpg

"This lagoon in Ouidah was part of the slave route to the beach."

benin27.jpg

"A woman from the Gbinbossi sect participates in the initiation ceremony.";

Ended with the MEDIA.

Benin Voodoo Festival ends

What amazingly beautiful pictures. I've seen Mami Wati ceremonies before but rarely have I seen pictures like these with such beautiful color and clarity. The picture of the grand arch was also touching and very inspiring. The Africa that I saw had so many amazing scenes to be photographed but very few professional quality photographers invest their time in Africa (and not just of photographing animals either, the people are most impressive living creatures on that continent by far I think.) You've inspired me. Perhaps I'll post the pictures of Ghana that I took myself on my visit. Thank u for this. Peace

Love Unknown.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back