AACOOLDRE

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jul 26, 2001
Michigan
Occupation
Teacher
MAAT & THE WESTERN VIRTUES
By Andre Austin

Book review of Maulana Karenga’s book Maat: The moral ideal in ancient Egypt.

The ancient Egyptians were just like the Christians in restraining reciprocity to resist evil in paying people back for their hot and cold deeds. Being self-controlled was one of the most important moral categories in Maat teachings. Jesus told you not to let your heart/mind grow towards those who do evil and Paul said he didn’t internal burn towards those same people.

Maat is the name of Tefnut (heat of heaven and moisture) whose birth is by being spat out. Maat is moral order, truth, balance and all of the 7 cardinal points of virtue. Maat is something to eat and drink like the tree of life (Shu) and Tree of knowledge (Tefnut) *.

The ancient Egyptians despised loud talker who were hot-tempered:

“As for speech (un-controlled) it is like fire

And an answer ignored is a flame

If you are silent (self-mastered) a good outcome will come to you

You will answer with what is good”. (p.330)

In other words return not fire (evil) for fire (evil).

Huyshery, a chief sculptor in ancient Egypt once said:

I say to you, people of the future

Who will come into being after me

I was one who was excellent, cool

Who put Maat in his heart

Without neglecting its practice” (p.95

We know one of the attributes of Tefnut/Maat is the “The heat of heaven” but must deduce from logical reasoning that its coolness would be the equivalent of “Lukewarm” in the Bible (Rev 3:16). Let us see more quotes from an “unrestrained person” (Hot-Tempered) between a self-controlled person (Cool person).

“Now the unrestrained man (Hot-tempered) in the Temple

He is like a tree growing in the garden

In a brief moment, it leaves fall off…

And fire becomes its burial ground

Now the self-mastered (cool) person sets himself apart

He is like a tree grown in a meadow (a moist/Tefnut place)

It grows green, it doubles its harvest

It stands before its owner

Its fruit is sweet; its Shade is pleasant

And it reaches its end among other trees” (p.98-99)

By being in the shade the self-mastered person is Neither Hot or Cold but Cool (Lukewarm).

I believe that the Christian concept of Hot vs Cold & Lukewarm theme came to the NT from stoic philosophers like Seneca who studied of all thing meteorology in Egypt. Meteorology deals with the weather and temperature. Karenga provided no index to the term stoic but I found to brief references to stoics on page 131 and 133. One of the declarations of Maat is to state that you have not been Hot-tempered

I’m reluctant to go deep into Karenga because of his reckless past. The Honorable Judge Joe Brown has a couple of bones to pick with Karenga being involved in the killing of several of his friends and possibility of being an informant. Karenga wrote the mission statement for the Million Man March (MMM) in 1995.

The CIA and FBI are involved in maintaining the status quota of white supremacy and control of Africa’s raw materials. It’s impossible to be an FBI informant and to write a book on Maat (justice) because those two agencies maintains all of the injustice being inflicted on the masses of the people, particularly people of color. Meanwhile, Hollywood glamorizes their mockery of the constitution.

The ancient Egyptians had a saying of not winking at injustice something that the government can’t stop protruding their eyes invading our private life. For we shall always find them twinkling/winking about until they are not reformed but replaced with new eye sockets.

Notes:

*Coffin texts 1,32 states “Tefnut is the living daughter and she shall exist with her brother Shu, life is his name, Maat is her name”. Her lies the bare sketch of the Tree of life (Shu) the Tree of good and evil deeds is Maat/Tefnut. When we get to the NT we see Lukewarm being spat out just like Tefnut/Maat and is different from Hot and Cold being the moisture and heat of heaven that’s balanced in Temperature.

So I end with this quote from the ancient Egyptians:

I have directed them to the way of life

I have led them to Maat…

I set you on a path that is painless

A good and pleasant light, a shade without heat (p. 267)

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

Blessings sent to all journeying in 2024 so far
Chevron Dove wrote on cherryblossom's profile.
Sis Cherryblossom,
hoping that you are at peace where ever you may be.
Back