Black History : JAZZ ?QUESTIONS? FOR JAZZ LOVERS...

Isaiah said:
Brother James, SHOW TUNES??? Does that mean HELLO DOLLY, and all that good stuff???
yup. right now i am enjoying Count Basie with Frank Sinatra live in las vagas.
jazz players have always played show tunes, tin pan alley or standards.
i just call them all show tunes as many of them originated on Broadway.
Billie holliday sang mostly show tunes in cabarets.

jamesfrmphilly said:
yup. right now i am enjoying Count Basie with Frank Sinatra live in las vagas.
jazz players have always played show tunes, tin pan alley or standards.
i just call them all show tunes as many of them originated on Broadway.
Billie holliday sang mostly show tunes in cabarets.

Yo, now y'all just a goin' off - and aint no fun if homes don't get none!(smile!)

Brother O, man, this sister's pipes...well, I'm serious, I could actually just sit and listen to her rap... That's all she'd have to do... Wouldn't have to sing a damned lick, man... Whew!LOL! She got to be the Barry White of Female singers...(smile!) And you mentioned Natalie, man... That didn't slip past, yo... In additon to her vocals, I dig LOOKIN' at Ms. COLE... Can you believe this woman is like 55!!! She's ridiculous, brother!LOL! She does a great version of Fool On The Hill, and I always loved LA COSTA... Sweeeet and Sublime...

Brother James, you brought up the "show tunes" being, essentially, standard fare in Jazz, and I agree... Louis Armstrong started all of that according to the historians... But I have to admit that I don't dig that that much... Let me give you an example of what I'm talking about... I'd rather much more to hear DINAH WASHINGTON singing LONG JOHN BLUES, than any of that Cole Porter songbook... I just dig her BLUES over the popular material... But don't get me wrong, brother, because a DINAH was such a fabulous singer that when she sang something like You Go To My Head, she still blows your doors off... I can't lie, the right singer can change my mind about the show stuff in a hot minute, but I'd just rather to hear the BLUES... O mentioned Billy Eckstine, and I dug his popular music, but when he sings JELLY, JELLY, he's at his best - so I think...

OLdies, yeah, KOOL&THEGANG did a live album as the JAZZIACS, where they blew HOLLYWOOD SWINGIN', IKE'S MOOD, and some of THOM BELL's work with the STYLISTICS and DELFONICS(Stop, Look, Listen to Your Heart, and Trying To Make a Fool Out Of Me), and it's terrific... That's not to mention their SUMMER MADNESS, studio and live versions are Jazzy as hell... Which brings to mind the world Isaac Hayes did on the SHAFT ALBUM, as well as, the To Be Continued Album... IKE'S Mood is major sampled in HipHop, and is there a D.J. that hasn't played that as his outro backl in the day???(smile!) Superb Jazziness in R&B mode, but that's another topic, aint it???(smile!)

Peace!
Isaiah

Ahh man...Im gettin a real education here. I may not be as seasoned (didnt want to say "old") as some of the jazz heads here, but Im learning some stuff...

Sun mentions Betty Carter....my uncle was a Betty Carter fanatic...she always had some top notch bands with her.......And Eddie Jefferson..."Moody's Mood for Love"....I grew up hearing that every morning....he adapted a lot of jazz standards...

Being a Cassandra Wilson fan, I got some of her stuff...but Im just finding out about Diane Reeves...can some one give me a good traditional jazz CD she's done?

Whew! It's like the old barber shop in Harlem...when the the elders discussed "real music"...

Isaiah said:
Yo, now y'all just a goin' off - and aint no fun if homes don't get none!(smile!)

Brother O, man, this sister's pipes...well, I'm serious, I could actually just sit and listen to her rap... That's all she'd have to do... Wouldn't have to sing a damned lick, man... Whew!LOL! She got to be the Barry White of Female singers...(smile!) And you mentioned Natalie, man... That didn't slip past, yo... In additon to her vocals, I dig LOOKIN' at Ms. COLE... Can you believe this woman is like 55!!! She's ridiculous, brother!LOL! She does a great version of Fool On The Hill, and I always loved LA COSTA... Sweeeet and Sublime...

Brother James, you brought up the "show tunes" being, essentially, standard fare in Jazz, and I agree... Louis Armstrong started all of that according to the historians... But I have to admit that I don't dig that that much... Let me give you an example of what I'm talking about... I'd rather much more to hear DINAH WASHINGTON singing LONG JOHN BLUES, than any of that Cole Porter songbook... I just dig her BLUES over the popular material... But don't get me wrong, brother, because a DINAH was such a fabulous singer that when she sang something like You Go To My Head, she still blows your doors off... I can't lie, the right singer can change my mind about the show stuff in a hot minute, but I'd just rather to hear the BLUES... O mentioned Billy Eckstine, and I dug his popular music, but when he sings JELLY, JELLY, he's at his best - so I think...

OLdies, yeah, KOOL&THEGANG did a live album as the JAZZIACS, where they blew HOLLYWOOD SWINGIN', IKE'S MOOD, and some of THOM BELL's work with the STYLISTICS and DELFONICS(Stop, Look, Listen to Your Heart, and Trying To Make a Fool Out Of Me), and it's terrific... That's not to mention their SUMMER MADNESS, studio and live versions are Jazzy as hell... Which brings to mind the world Isaac Hayes did on the SHAFT ALBUM, as well as, the To Be Continued Album... IKE'S Mood is major sampled in HipHop, and is there a D.J. that hasn't played that as his outro backl in the day???(smile!) Superb Jazziness in R&B mode, but that's another topic, aint it???(smile!)

Peace!
Isaiah

Brothers, now DINAH WASHINGTON has got to be my personal favorite of all time, even if i might have slipped and mentioned someone else before...DINAH was my Mom's favorite singer and i guess that stuck with me...but nancy...hate to have her in the second spot but....then there is also ABBEY LINCOLN.....cant say enough about her either...

Brother isaiah...i was a Natalie cole fan before her cocaine episode....i mean...for a "chocolate" sister she takes the cake...lol!

i was so glad that she made her comeback doing jazz....and also anther sister who I cant get enough of is CHAKA KHAN...!!!

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back