Black History Culture : JAZZ ?QUESTIONS? FOR JAZZ LOVERS...

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Isaiah, May 11, 2006.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Let me direct my first question to brother James from Philly...

Brother James, are you familiar with Jon Hendricks??? He is a wonderful Scat artist, who came to fame with Lambert Hendricks & Ross... He does some very beautiful work on jazz instrumentals, adding words to the songs much like Oscar Browne Jr... Have you heard his rendition on Bobby Timmons' MOANIN', which he did with Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers??? Have you heard the work of some other artists who seem to specialize in performing these kinds jazz first-lyrics second work on the classic Jazz tunes???

How about Leon Thomas, who did work with Pharoah Sanders and Horace Silver... Wonderful versions of The Creator Has A Master Plan and Song For My Father... I await you, and other's comments on this...

Brother Sun, you out there... Brother O, you wanna take a crack at this??? Sister Queenie, Pdiane, Sip??? Love to hear from yall... Oldies, you into Jazz??? Join in, brother...

Peace!
    Isaiah

2. abstract219

abstract219 ...standing on the shoulders of giants MEMBER

United States
    Behavioral Health
    Ratings:
    +548
    Sorry for interjecting here...but

Ok...Im down with Leon Thomas....I got a lot of his work, especially most with Pharoah Saunders..."Thembi" to me, was the best of them....Brotha could blow...especially on a piece called "China Doll"...I dont know what album this song is from, since I recorded it off the radio....need some help with that...Bro Isaiah....

I heard of Jon Hendricks...never purchased any of his work tho....

Ever hear of Andy Bey?

Yea...us Philly brothas are strong on the jazz vibe....

3. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

Jon Hendricks...Leon Thomas....Oscar Browne, Jr....Ernie Andrews...Joe Williams are some of my favorite old skool singers along with Nat King Cole and Jessie Belvin...

I'm not really into too many male singers since george benson and al jarreau with the exception of a singer out of la named dwight tribble...

women...that's a different story....dianne reeves....nneena freelon....dee dee bridgewater....and cassandra wilson....

ya'll can have harry connick and diane krall.....hahaha!!!

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,734
    i have listened to all those people but i have not lately.
    i have never been a big fan of the scat singing.

what i do listen to is the show tune song form.
    i listen to a lot of Bille Holiday and Jimmy Scot.
    lil Jimmy has a take on mood indigo which i think is classic.
    i will also listen to Louis Armsrong and Billy Eckstine.
    and that Coltrane with John Hartman.

i have also been listening to Andy Bey. did you know he is gay and suffers from HIV/AIDS?

5. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Brother Abstract, O, and James, thanks for your responses!!! I am learning a lot as I read you guys posts...

Brother Abstract and James, I am not familiar with Andy Bey, but with you guys recommendations, I am open to listening to his stuff - no doubt! The Leon Thomas China Doll is superb, brother Abstract, and James, Coltranes' work with Johnny Hartman is classic... OMG!

Brother James, SHOW TUNES??? Does that mean HELLO DOLLY, and all that good stuff???LOL! Awight, now! I hear ya... To be honest with you, there have been a lot of soundtracks and show tumes I've dug over the years, I can't lie...(smile!) I love Shirley Bassey, and that Goldfinger stuff... Also love her rendition of I WISH YOU LOVE... Nobody did it better - I don't think... Jimmy Scott, I have a real bad relationship with his wife, a white gold-diggin' so-and-so named Jeannie Mc...(smile!) Can't stand that groupie bum, but I love Jimmy's stlye... Ironically, I think he sounds a lot like Etta Jones... Remember her??? But you don't dig scat, so I guess you aint no Clark MUMBLES Terry fan???LOL!

Brother O, you dig a lot of the folks I dig, Joe Williams, Dianne Reeves, Oscar Brown, DeeDee Bridgewater... Since I've been listneing to this guy Bob Porter's old R&B show, I've come to love a whole lot of jump blues people of the day, the King Pleasure's, the Jimmy Rushing's, and these people... I just brought up Jon Hendricks because he capped off a lot of stuff I've been recently introduced to, like Betty Carter and Carmen Mcrae doing STOLEN MOMENTS and Oscar's rendition of AFRO BLUE... Stuff sent me into a frenzy, because I'd heard Dianne Reeves do her version some years ago, and I loved it, but didn't know so many folks had "blessed" these songs in that way... I recently got a copy of Carmen Mcrae doing 'Round Midnight, as well... Stuff is superb...

Peace!
    Isaiah

6. PoeticManifesta

PoeticManifesta Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Local Insurance Agent
    Ratings:
    +47
    Umm.. i know you invited all the "oldies" in on this one.. but.. Pharoah Saunders is da man...im tuning into more bass artists these days.. David Dyson, tribal tech ( i know its fusion)... Thelonious Monk.. Dizzy G... nothing is like some old Gershwin... Miles Davis is a beast... "Bitchez Brew" is my fav. album...
    so i just had to put it down for the younger peeps on the site.. yall aint the onlyones who know that Coletrane is not a beer!

7. Sun Ship

Sun Ship Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39
    I Luv the art of scatting when it's done artistically and passionately

Scat singing is a sacred art.

First of all, there are those who straight-up scat (vocally improvise), and then there are those who put words to famous or well-known recorded solos by usually great instrumental Jazz Artist.

Brother Isaiah you have once again started a wonderful and fulfilling thread, but you left out the true fathers of the "lyrical/spoken word technique" of Scatting. First there was the great scat/lyrical artist King Pleasure who performed the famous vocalese/lyrical version of Charlie “Bird” Parker’s “Parker’s Mood”. Then there was the great Eddie Jefferson who performed the original lyrical version of “Moody’s Mood For Love” in which he added words to James Moody’s improvised solo to “I’m In The Mood For Love”.

What must be understood about what is sometimes called “vocalese” is that the lyrics usually melodically emulate actual pre-recorded instrumental Jazz solos. Two of the most extraordinary creations of “vocalese” besides “Parker Moods” and “Moody’s Mood For Love” is Jon Hendricks’ vocalese version of Miles Davis’ “So What” and also the so-called “famous (improvised) break” performed in Charlie Parker’s rendition of “A Night In Tunisia”.

To hear a young Black female (especially) speak of Pharoah Sanders, Dizzy, Monk and especially Miles’ Bitchez Brew is definitely a “turn on” :D ...:wink:...:smooch:

Peace:cool:

8. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

I hear you on the carmen McRae...I also like the obvious: Sassy, Ella, Lady Day but one personal favorite who I cannot forget to mention is Natalie Cole and also Nancy Wilson....i dont think i even have any Namcy Wilson in my collection anymore (since years ago i got ripped off by an uncle) but i have been in love with that woman since a teenager...

9. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62

Sup, brother SUNSHIP!

Well, looks like we drew the Ship to dock with these jazz queries! Awright, now!:horse:

Glad to see you in the house, brother... And thanks for that info on King Pleasure's material... I've got Eddie LockJaw Davis' Moody's Mood, as well as another version he did with TITO PUENTE... Imagine that! It's very beautiful, like the original, just Afro-Latinized, if you dig what I mean... If you know of anymore singers who've done this vocalese style, please name them, brother, as I am hooked on the style these days... How about Cab Calloway, and his style of framing and composing songs around the happening phrase of his time, one of which was the phrase, HEY NOW! I love how he kept the slang alive for future generations, because in many respects those records are, now, historical documents and references to how our people lived in the 1930's and 1940's...

Brother O, yeah, I dig Nancy Wilson's singing, but have you heard her natural speaking voice???(smile!) Yo, I'd be in trouble if I met a sister that spoke like that... She's eloquent, and her voice has that gravelly-smooth mid-westerness that made brother Malcolm such a pleasure to hear... I heard that she was once a D.J. in Ohio before she came to New York to pursue her calling... And Sarah and Ella I dig on certain songs... Sarah doing DOODLIN' with the big band behind her, and LOVER MAN and Oop papa dah(sp)with Diz and Bird... They sang a lot of the standards, which I gotta be in the mood for... But going back to what you said about the FEMALE singers... I gotta admit to liking a lot of them too - in both Jazz and R&B... But don't confuse me with no LUTHER, yo!LOL! Of is it LOOFA???

Sister Poetic, have you ever heard Diz Swing Low Sweet Cadillac, or Salt Peanuts, or Thelonious Monk's BLUE MONK??? How about Art Blakey's MOANIN"??? These are some classic jazz cuts... How about JIMMY SMITH and LEE MORGAN and KENNY BURRELL on the classic mellow FLAMINGO... WHEW, try that FLAMINGO out on your boyfriend... I warn you, though, it might scare the guy if he isn't a young sophisticate... AWESOME stuff... I'd like to hear someone do a vocalese on that tuneLOL! Or maybe leave it as it is, simply sublime... Thanks guys, you've all been fantastic on this thread thus far...

Peace!
    Isaiah

10. Sun Ship

Sun Ship Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39
    What’z up Brother Isaiah, the ALL-Seeing Brother “I”:D

Brother Isaiah, I digz the avatar of Saint John Coltrane or better yet Orisha John Coltrane :D

Now, If we’re talking straight-up hardcore bebop scatting, there was no female singer as extraordinary as the great late Diva Betty Carter. It’s hard to find a lot of recordings of her all out scatting prowess, but when you do find them …man that sister can let go.

Now I know there are a lot of new comers out here smokin’; and remember, there is no doubt, a lot of long time extraordinary Jazz singers just don’t get a lot of play or are rarely recorded solo and you really have to know the Jazz world to know who is out there. This has always been the problem with Jazz artist in the U.S. There are artist who get all type of recording contracts, press and are literally Jazz stars outside of the U.S., but are rarely even respected or known in their own hometown, let alone the rest of the country (the U.S.). And then there are those who never leave their own hometowns.

I know, and have known musicians who played with some the world's most renowned musicians and still can’t get many recording deals or, have NEVER recorded or produced there own CD. And you can forget about the Black community supporting these brothers and sisters. Our so-called culturally elite community (be they young or old, grassroots or high brow) just doesn’t know how “out of the loop” and culturally dead they are. I remember the story of a late great drummer named Joe Charles, who Coltrane wanted to take on the road many years ago, but because of his large family and moderate income he couldn’t take the financial risk of leaving his hometown at the time, this brother was a fish monger selling fish out of the back of a truck at the time, except for a few rare notations in a few historical Jazz documents he literally died poor and in obscurity. But hey, enough of this digressing.

If not already mentioned, I would like to include Kevin Mahogany to the male Jazz vocal stylist list, this brother is extraordinary and has several CD’s out, also he can scat well.

Peace :cool: