Black History : WHAT KILLED THE JAZZ FLAME IN AFRICAN AMERICANS????

Isaiah

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jun 8, 2004
Was it that it just got too cerebral, and our people werern't ready for all of that deep penetration into, and dissection harmonic theory, or was it that White Boys was all up in our kitchen, putting African American bands outta business???

Was it that the new JUMP bands of Louis Jordan and Cab Calloway's hybrid JumpJazz stylings that lured our people away, or was it that the GREAT BLACK MIGRATION, then in full swing, was bringing an "electric" urban style of blues that our people craved in their new environs??? Brother Sun and Brother O, the FLO is yawls....

Brother Sip, let's git us some lemonade, and listen to the griots drop some "reign", yo(smile!)

Peace!
Isaiah

jazz is intelligent music.
the more i practice my trumpet the more i wonder at just how good Miles was. my point is that it takes a musician to truly appreciate another. in other words the best way to understand what another cat went through is to try to do it yourself.
back in my youth i could walk up to Coltrane and ask him a question. i had several conversations with Miles. try to walk up to an artist of today.
the security would have you in a choke hold.

in the old days people got an education. we were taught music and had music lessons. even if we did not become good ourselves we learned enough to understand and appreciate what the really good cats were doing. the average person of today has not had that education. without it they cannot appreciate how great the masters were. you got to be intelligent to understand great Black music. this applies to all the arts. everything in today's world has been cheapened and coarsened. it is all about grubbing for a dollar. there is no sophistication left.

jamesfrmphilly said:
jazz is intelligent music.
the more i practice my trumpet the more i wonder at just how good Miles was. my point is that it takes a musician to truly appreciate another. in other words the best way to understand what another cat went through is to try to do it yourself.
back in my youth i could walk up to Coltrane and ask him a question. i had several conversations with Miles. try to walk up to an artist of today.
the security would have you in a choke hold.

in the old days people got an education. we were taught music and had music lessons. even if we did not become good ourselves we learned enough to understand and appreciate what the really good cats were doing. the average person of today has not had that education. without it they cannot appreciate how great the masters were. you got to be intelligent to understand great Black music. this applies to all the arts. everything in today's world has been cheapened and coarsened. it is all about grubbing for a dollar. there is no sophistication left.

Brother James, couldn't agree more, but do you think the dismissive attitudes of Black Jazz musicians caused AfricanAmericans to choose other styles of Black music... My question is why did Jazz fall out of favor with Blacks as our music of choice for the first, oh, 50 years of the 20th century???

Peace!
isaiah

WHAT KILLED THE JAZZ FLAME IN AFRICAN AMERICANS????

Personally, I think it was the radio stations.

Outside of New York and Chicago....you can't even hear good jazz on the radio anymore.

What they call jazz on most stations is usually the corny crap or actually "easy listening" music.

You know what really hooked me on jazz?

It was those Spike Lee joints that always featured scores/soundtracks by Terrence Blanchard and Brandford Marsalis.

I also think too that it was a change of Times. Every thing has it's great days, and the great days of Jazz are over.

There are new genres of music which dominate the music plateau, and in about 20 years, I will be posting a thread about why the flame of Hip and Hop and Rap has died.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back