Black History Culture : WHAT KILLED THE JAZZ FLAME IN AFRICAN AMERICANS????

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Isaiah, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Was it that it just got too cerebral, and our people werern't ready for all of that deep penetration into, and dissection harmonic theory, or was it that White Boys was all up in our kitchen, putting African American bands outta business???

Was it that the new JUMP bands of Louis Jordan and Cab Calloway's hybrid JumpJazz stylings that lured our people away, or was it that the GREAT BLACK MIGRATION, then in full swing, was bringing an "electric" urban style of blues that our people craved in their new environs??? Brother Sun and Brother O, the FLO is yawls....

Brother Sip, let's git us some lemonade, and listen to the griots drop some "reign", yo(smile!)

Peace!
    Isaiah

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,730
    jazz is intelligent music.
    the more i practice my trumpet the more i wonder at just how good Miles was. my point is that it takes a musician to truly appreciate another. in other words the best way to understand what another cat went through is to try to do it yourself.
    back in my youth i could walk up to Coltrane and ask him a question. i had several conversations with Miles. try to walk up to an artist of today.
    the security would have you in a choke hold.

in the old days people got an education. we were taught music and had music lessons. even if we did not become good ourselves we learned enough to understand and appreciate what the really good cats were doing. the average person of today has not had that education. without it they cannot appreciate how great the masters were. you got to be intelligent to understand great Black music. this applies to all the arts. everything in today's world has been cheapened and coarsened. it is all about grubbing for a dollar. there is no sophistication left.

3. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Brother James, couldn't agree more, but do you think the dismissive attitudes of Black Jazz musicians caused AfricanAmericans to choose other styles of Black music... My question is why did Jazz fall out of favor with Blacks as our music of choice for the first, oh, 50 years of the 20th century???

Peace!
    isaiah

4. Dual Karnayn

Dual Karnayn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    Personally, I think it was the radio stations.

Outside of New York and Chicago....you can't even hear good jazz on the radio anymore.

What they call jazz on most stations is usually the corny crap or actually "easy listening" music.

You know what really hooked me on jazz?

It was those Spike Lee joints that always featured scores/soundtracks by Terrence Blanchard and Brandford Marsalis.

5. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    I also think too that it was a change of Times. Every thing has it's great days, and the great days of Jazz are over.

There are new genres of music which dominate the music plateau, and in about 20 years, I will be posting a thread about why the flame of Hip and Hop and Rap has died.

6. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,730
    Miles never shot anybody................

7. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    OK, true dat!(smile!)

But let me rephrase the question a little... What was it about the music itself, that caused African Americans to make other choices in what they bought and listened to back in the day???. My own take on this is that Jazz came into competition with the NEW dance music that was happening at the time, the JUMP style, which was a precursor to R&B...

The NEW music met a need African Americans had that Jazz had once fulfilled, and that was the need to dance while they partied... Jazz, many people do not know listening to it today, was once a party music - the party music of it's time... In fact, the great revolutionaries of the burgeoining NEW JUMP music, were all Jazz cats originally... They just used their jazz chops to lighten up a music that was increasingly becoming more intellectualized with to storming of the door called Bebop... The musicians, it appears, got caught up in their own satisfaction with themselves, and lost their audience in the process... That's my take on it...

BTW, James, Omowale, and SunShip, please do not misconstrue what I said about Jazz NOT being a dance music when it comes to certain artists of recent vintage... Yawl know I'm gonna cover my highknee on that if this thread goes there...(smile!) I was listening to some Gene Ammons, Gary Bartz, Brother Jack McDuff, and Idriss Muhammad recently as last night, and I was shaking my booty to all them cats...and then some!(smile!)

Peace!
    isaiah

8. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Brother Manasiac, HIPHOP is popular among YOUNG PEOPLE, not all people... Jazz, at the height of it's popularity, was popular among ALL age groups, and so was R&B... In point of fact, brothers SUN, JAMES, OMOWALE, and myself were born either on the cusp of the sunset of jazz popularity, or completely after it, and we still love it...

So it lost it's popular audience... That doesn't mean it's lost it's audience - the real music lover... In fact, some of the best jazz is made in countries outside of the United States... In this respect, Brother Dual is on point... Since Jazz has been deemed commercially unattractive by the capitalists, who don't care nothin' about art, it is not longer played on the radio as it once was... But don't confuse commercial viability and popularit with whether a music still lives and breathes and flourishes all over the world, right under the radar of the unsuspecting(smile!)

Peace!
    Isaiah

9. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    It's like Wesley told Denzel in Mo Betta Blues...."play what the people want to hear and they'll come" ...I think cats that started playing Bop played for themselves and other musicians not for Black folk en masse knowimtalnbout......Bop is music to sit and ponder not to get out and throw a party to......when you listen to Bop you have to sit down clear your mind and actually engage in that one way conversation...it's not a music that you can be lazy and listen to .......you actually have to fire up them brain cells to listen to some of that stuff and not only to listen but to understand.....in some ways it's like some of the Country Blues songs where you have to actually listen to what the singer is saying and then figure out if you can take it at face value or are they really saying something much deeper......with Bop (not speaking of Jazz vocalists) there are no words but the musician is still talking to you.....and it's up to you to figure out what they're saying......I think Bop lost a lot of listeners ...the same way Blues gained listeners when it became more electric Chicago type Blues.......

Bop is not for the casual listener same with Country Blues......you hear it are exposed to it and either love it or hate it........I love Bop ....and Miles was a genius.....Charlie Parker was a tortured soul who could play his arse off but couldn't defeat his demons.....Trane...well Trane was Trane....and on and on and on........now when you add in the Jazz vocalists you add another whole dimension that a lot of folk just are not ready for......hell Bop is still ahead of it's time.........I think somebody said on one of these threads they listen to Jazz to clear their head and relax.....when I listen to Bop I can't relax and clearing my head is impossible because it forces you to think , to listen to every movement of the piece to every thought conveyed through the music it takes you to a whole other place......and I think that's why it's not as popular these days..........and that's my story and I'm stickin to it

MississippiRed
    Miles was so cool he turned his back on audiences......now that's the Birth of Cool.....now you got white boys and so called artists saying Miles was not that hot and only mediocre.....they need Jesus to hep um...see the light

10. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,730
    i agree with this. jazz got away from the dance floor and that killed it for a lot of folks.
    there needs to be jazz that is danceable.
    amazingly, most jazz players miss out on this simple fact.