Black History : JAZZ ?QUESTIONS? FOR JAZZ LOVERS...

abstract219 said:
Ahh man...Im gettin a real education here. I may not be as seasoned (didnt want to say "old") as some of the jazz heads here, but Im learning some stuff...

Sun mentions Betty Carter....my uncle was a Betty Carter fanatic...she always had some top notch bands with her.......And Eddie Jefferson..."Moody's Mood for Love"....I grew up hearing that every morning....he adapted a lot of jazz standards...

Being a Cassandra Wilson fan, I got some of her stuff...but Im just finding out about Diane Reeves...can some one give me a good traditional jazz CD she's done?

Whew! It's like the old barber shop in Harlem...when the the elders discussed "real music"...

Brother i wont recommend any specific Dianne Reeves because evything I have heard from her is excellent...I think there is some material she released with a sister named Needra Wheeler who is an excellent bassist...and while I'm at it, see if you can find some work with Meshell Ndegeocello on bass...I believe that Dianne is from Denver but she used to do a lot of work with folks in la back in her early days....back when needra and my cousin david cherry were at CalArts Institute....I remember also she sued to work with some local folks in the 70s when I was at Cal State Northridge...incredible chops...!!

oldiesman said:
but you know brothers and sisters,the real beauty of jazz is that it takes you away to a more restful place and relaxes your mind,in the morning before i leave for work i make sure that i have enough time to get in some jazz sounds to prepare me for the day ahead.

[SIZE="3"]That's interesting Oldies, because I've got a playlist of about 500 and something instrumentals - Jazz and R&B - which I listen to when I want to free my mind to think, or just before I go into a meditative state... Additionally, when I'm cleaning or writting, or filling out the bills, I like to listen to my African Cuban jazz/rhumba/talking drums... Perfect stuff to get you all charged up and motivated...

BTW, Chaka Khan has been known to lay down some good jazz stylings... I have a nice copy of her doing Night In Tunisia(The Memory Lingers On...) And I remember some years ago, that Micki Howard also did some jazz work... Was it Good Morning Heartache???[/SIZE]

Peace!
Isaiah

abstract219 said:
Ahh man...Im gettin a real education here. I may not be as seasoned (didnt want to say "old") as some of the jazz heads here, but Im learning some stuff...

Sun mentions Betty Carter....my uncle was a Betty Carter fanatic...she always had some top notch bands with her.......And Eddie Jefferson..."Moody's Mood for Love"....I grew up hearing that every morning....he adapted a lot of jazz standards...

Being a Cassandra Wilson fan, I got some of her stuff...but Im just finding out about Diane Reeves...can some one give me a good traditional jazz CD she's done?

Whew! It's like the old barber shop in Harlem...when the the elders discussed "real music"...

Have you ever heard brother Arthur Prysock... 'Nother smoove brotha...

Peace!
Isaiah

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back