Black People : It's Time To Slow Down Black America's Upward Mortality

Quote:

"We need, all, to get familiar with those histories so that we can xease making the mistakes made by our relatives."

For sure. Not to slight anyone since diabetes tends to run mostly on my father's side (even though he did have elder black men who lived well into their 80s) I am struggling with changing not only some dietary habits but disgarding some "traditions" altogether. And since my mom's family is from new orleans which has a "rich" food tradition I am changing some recipes and the way I ccok but within the same "creole" tradition. For example, there is a sauce the family is known for which is very "cheesy". I just started using low fat mozzorella which has a low fat content. Instead of vegatable or corn oil, strictly olive oil. No more seafood gumbo with italian or andouille sausage. More turkey and imitation crab.

Its like I go to some "soul food" restaurants and they serve gumbo without okra. That makes no sense because in west afrika gumbo and okra are synonomous.

Its interesting that many foods that are laveled as "soul food"...the veggies...okra.....sweet potato (yams)...red beans...green beans....lima beans....are high in fiber, low fat and very nutritios...The problem is all the bread, batter and grease we use, misuse and overcook with which makes these foods TOXIC..

"We have made it acceptable in our culture for Black women to be thick, and it has proven to be deadly."

While I'm typing the news is discussing a local health crisis in dallas concerning immigrants who are taxing the public health system....and the one person they interviewed is a Black woman from the Sudan...who is diabetic and has no health coverage...I am sure that this is an increasing problem among the middle class in Afrika as well...

I just finished a six week conditioning class which improved my overall conditioning even though i lost ZERO weight...*smh*

lose fat and water weight....bulk up in lean tissue...now i need to spend less time on line and do my travelling across the South as planned..do some real "road work"..

Peace!

omowalejabali said:
Quote:

"We need, all, to get familiar with those histories so that we can xease making the mistakes made by our relatives."

For sure. Not to slight anyone since diabetes tends to run mostly on my father's side (even though he did have elder black men who lived well into their 80s) I am struggling with changing not only some dietary habits but disgarding some "traditions" altogether. And since my mom's family is from new orleans which has a "rich" food tradition I am changing some recipes and the way I ccok but within the same "creole" tradition. For example, there is a sauce the family is known for which is very "cheesy". I just started using low fat mozzorella which has a low fat content. Instead of vegatable or corn oil, strictly olive oil. No more seafood gumbo with italian or andouille sausage. More turkey and imitation crab.

Its like I go to some "soul food" restaurants and they serve gumbo without okra. That makes no sense because in west afrika gumbo and okra are synonomous.

Its interesting that many foods that are laveled as "soul food"...the veggies...okra.....sweet potato (yams)...red beans...green beans....lima beans....are high in fiber, low fat and very nutritios...The problem is all the bread, batter and grease we use, misuse and overcook with which makes these foods TOXIC..

"We have made it acceptable in our culture for Black women to be thick, and it has proven to be deadly."

While I'm typing the news is discussing a local health crisis in dallas concerning immigrants who are taxing the public health system....and the one person they interviewed is a Black woman from the Sudan...who is diabetic and has no health coverage...I am sure that this is an increasing problem among the middle class in Afrika as well...

I just finished a six week conditioning class which improved my overall conditioning even though i lost ZERO weight...*smh*

lose fat and water weight....bulk up in lean tissue...now i need to spend less time on line and do my travelling across the South as planned..do some real "road work"..

Peace!

Yes, brother, I agree that many of the foods brought to this continent by our ancestors is, not only exceedingly healthy, but correspondent with thousands of years of African biogenetics. In other words, were we to eat these foods in great abundance, a few of which you mentioned, such as OKRA and YAM, we would be able to keep ourselves metabolically in balance. One of the reasons ASIANS have seen a big spike in diabetes in that community is because their CHILDREN are in love with all of the American fast foods. The parents, meanwhile, continue to eat the traditional Asian way, and do NOT suffere the incidence in diabetes that the children do. Interesting, no?

Well, we are the children of our ancestors, and though we run around attributing our troubles to them, it is reasonable to conclude that the ancestors didn't have the problem with SUGAR DIABETES(as they called it)that we do. They ate fresh, unprocessed foods, and even when they ate meats, they weren't saturated with antibiotics, and other additives, like the stuff we eat.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back