Black People : I Love seeing the First Family

what is shown is the negative side of a black family to be broken through da window
of the media.
but when you look from the hour glass you can see many wonderful structured families doing positive things in life

we all not broken is true and we do pose some healthy relationships with powerful family morals
I see it everyday .

They also show the Cosby show, family matters, good times, the Jeffersons, etc. etc. etc.

Yes, negative images exist but do we want/need the media to pretend that only positive images occur in real life? Wayyyy back in the day TV shows and movies made Blacks the comedic relief, made to look like bafoons, etc which was largely overcome by protest of groups like the NAACP.

When rappers project negative images through their music, they claim they are not promoting or causing these images, they are just reflecting the reality that is out there. If we accept that excuse from rappers, we also have to have the same standard with the media.

Specifically, what shows, images, channels, etc in the media contributes to Black people buying into the message that we cannot acheive intact, strong, productive families?

They also show the Cosby show, family matters, good times, the Jeffersons, etc. etc. etc.

Yes, negative images exist but do we want/need the media to pretend that only positive images occur in real life? Wayyyy back in the day TV shows and movies made Blacks the comedic relief, made to look like bafoons, etc which was largely overcome by protest of groups like the NAACP.

When rappers project negative images through their music, they claim they are not promoting or causing these images, they are just reflecting the reality that is out there. If we accept that excuse from rappers, we also have to have the same standard with the media.

Specifically, what shows, images, channels, etc in the media contributes to Black people buying into the message that we cannot acheive intact, strong, productive families?
It is not so much the images they see but the ones they identify with that s people tend to model. There is an element out there coming mostly from our so called Black leaders that discourages us from identify with the images that Cosby and Obama project.

Since the poorest Black folks are also the biggest consumers (their poverty status stemming not so much from a lack of money as from their tendency to spend money on liabilities rather than assets) they are the targets of television programming which discourages family values and promotes material values.

I think good family values in the Black community are far more prevalent than what television would have us think. But it is not as strong as when I was a kid.

Like you said television has always projected unflattering images of Black people. I don't suggest that we complain about televisions growing influence on our children. I suggest that we break that influence with strong cultural alternatives. What child would not prefer active participation to passive watching?

As for specific images I can offer none off the top of my head since I have not owned a television in over 22 years but I talk to people who do watch it. I listen to people telling me about the things they see among our children in public schools, and I know there is a connection between what kids see on television and what they emulate in real life.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back