Black People : I Love seeing the First Family

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Full Speed, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Full Speed

Full Speed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,045
    So many of us fail to embrace the traditional family, but it does my heart well to see our President with his family. I was just watching a news story about President Obama on a weekend get away with his wife and children. What a beautiful picture.

I think President Obama sits a good example for family and fatherhood.

2. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Yes, he does.

The media bombards us with so many negative images of ourselves that what the Obama family represents seems unreasonable and beyond our reach and it is hard to love something you think you can never obtain. Historically the Black family has held together tenaciously until we bought the message that we couldn't. You have to buy that message and they sell it at such a low introductory offer then once you sign the contract subsequent payments just balloon

[​IMG].

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    This why we need to regroup ourselves and get back to the family morals of good
    they truely is the AMERICAN FAMILY and love to see more of us doing just the same.

4. Full Speed

Ratings:
    +1,045
    Can you tell me what negative images, specifically, in the media that have convinced us that we cannot have intact families?

One of my aunts has adult 4 children (3 females and a male), wo are of course, my first cousins. She and her husband are committed Christians who are true to Christian values. The oldest, the son, did not attend college but does have an intact wonderful family. The next two girls both attended college, met their husbands in college and have strong intact families. The youngest daughter is midway through college. When I talk to her about "boyfriends" she will typically respond with something along the lines of "I'm looking for him, but I don't want to waste my time and emotions on somebody that's not the one. Right now I am just focused on my studies but I've got an eye out for him" The response varies but are always around the same tone. I feel certain that because of her approach to marriage and relationships, she too, will have a strong, intact, and enduring family.

My aunt and her family live in the same conditions as the rest of Black America and are subject the the same media as the rest of Black America. The difference is that they are true to Christian values and these values, if adhered to, promotes the kind of family that our president sets and an example.

I am not saying that Christianity is the ONLY way to have an intact family, but that it is about the VALUES we embrace, not about what we watch on TV that determine rather or not we hold marriage and family in high esteem.

5. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    what is shown is the negative side of a black family to be broken through da window
    of the media.
    but when you look from the hour glass you can see many wonderful structured families doing positive things in life

we all not broken is true and we do pose some healthy relationships with powerful family morals
    I see it everyday .

6. Full Speed

Ratings:
    +1,045
    They also show the Cosby show, family matters, good times, the Jeffersons, etc. etc. etc.

Yes, negative images exist but do we want/need the media to pretend that only positive images occur in real life? Wayyyy back in the day TV shows and movies made Blacks the comedic relief, made to look like bafoons, etc which was largely overcome by protest of groups like the NAACP.

When rappers project negative images through their music, they claim they are not promoting or causing these images, they are just reflecting the reality that is out there. If we accept that excuse from rappers, we also have to have the same standard with the media.

Specifically, what shows, images, channels, etc in the media contributes to Black people buying into the message that we cannot acheive intact, strong, productive families?

7. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    It is not so much the images they see but the ones they identify with that s people tend to model. There is an element out there coming mostly from our so called Black leaders that discourages us from identify with the images that Cosby and Obama project.

Since the poorest Black folks are also the biggest consumers (their poverty status stemming not so much from a lack of money as from their tendency to spend money on liabilities rather than assets) they are the targets of television programming which discourages family values and promotes material values.

I think good family values in the Black community are far more prevalent than what television would have us think. But it is not as strong as when I was a kid.

Like you said television has always projected unflattering images of Black people. I don't suggest that we complain about televisions growing influence on our children. I suggest that we break that influence with strong cultural alternatives. What child would not prefer active participation to passive watching?

As for specific images I can offer none off the top of my head since I have not owned a television in over 22 years but I talk to people who do watch it. I listen to people telling me about the things they see among our children in public schools, and I know there is a connection between what kids see on television and what they emulate in real life.