Black Parenting : Homeschooling

Tribal_House

REGISTERED MEMBER
May 31, 2009
Florida
Does anyone have any experience in regard to homeschooling, my supposed significant other has a crap load of plans and I don't know how well they have been thought out. She has a idea of wanting to homeschool my son that is if I am with this move to the DC/MD area. My only experience of homeschooling is in regard to that I have known some whites that have or doing it but I feel the motivation is to lessen the influence that their kids get in the public school system and intereaction with black youth. I'm not for or against homeschooling, I do want my son to have social interactions which I find he may lack in a home school environment. I know there are groups out there I wonder what is the social dynamic between the kids and parents that homeschool. i am not just going to blindly move my son anywhere without getting the social dynamic.

Hello Tribal

They have homeschooling asso., I will try to send you a link for one located here in Columbus. There are guidelines set by the State Board of Education you must follow for your child to receive certification. I think its wonderful and more parents who can should do this. I will send more later

I was homeschooled so my opinion will be biased but maybe my experience can be helpful.

My "curriculum" didn't start until I was 7 and finally learned to read. From there my only regular study was math; my parents bought text books and I'd do one lesson per day and have a test once a week. Eventually my parents got lazy but I kept studying on my own on and off just to keep myself up with everyone else.
Everything else I learned came from library books, I didn't have a TV or computer games so I read quite a bit from the science and history sections.
I stopped studying at all when I turned 16.

Passed a GED test no problem, got a high ACT score, and got into college at 17. I ended up graduating in 4 years with magna cum laude in two majors.

I didn't have many friends, partly because I was home-schooled and partly because my family didn't have many friends and usually traveled to a new state every couple years. But this hasn't really held me back socially at all. Public speaking in college was a difficult trial for me but I worked hard at it and was plenty comfortable after a month, and a better speech writer than the majority of my colleagues.

The best thing to remember about home-schooling is that the goal is not just transferring knowledge. The goal is to instill a hunger for knowledge by making children understand the importance of it.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

Blessings sent to all journeying in 2024 so far
Chevron Dove wrote on cherryblossom's profile.
Sis Cherryblossom,
hoping that you are at peace where ever you may be.
Back