Feb 19, 2001
Detroit
Occupation
Chemist
News about elder abuse on the rise

bing.com/news
  • Aging America: Elder abuse on the rise

MSN·5 hours ago
    The price for not getting ahead of the problem and preventing abuse of people who would otherwise be healthy and financially stable will be high, warned Joy…
  • Aging America: Elder abuse, use of shelters rising

MSN·9 hours ago
  • By Dan Sewell, The Associated Press
    She raises her hands to her snow-white hair in a gesture of frustrated bewilderment, then slowly lowers them to cover eyes filling with tears. The woman, in her 70s, is trying to explain how she wound up in a shelter that could well be where she spends the rest of her life.
    While the woman was living with a close family member, officials at the Shalom Center say, her money was being drained away by people overcharging for her grocery shopping, while her body and spirit were sapped by physical neglect and emotional torment. She says she was usually ordered to "go to bed," where she lay in a dark room, upset, unable to sleep.
    A family member “just yelled at me all the time. Screamed at me, cussed me out," the woman says. "I don't know what happened. She just got tired of me, I guess."
    The Shalom Center offers shelter, along with medical, psychological and legal help, to elderly abuse victims in this northern Cincinnati suburb. It is among a handful in the country that provide sanctuary from such treatment, a problem experts say is growing along with the age of the nation's population.
    The number of Americans 65 and over is projected to nearly double by 2030 because of the 74 million baby boomers born in 1946-64, and the number of people 85 and over is increasing at an even faster rate. As many as 2 million seniors are abused, exploited or neglected every year, judging by available statistics and surveys, but experts say there could be many more. Some research indicates that one in 10 seniors have suffered some form of abuse at least once.
  • Government Report Finds Elder Abuse on the Rise - NYTimes.com
    newoldage.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/03/government-report-finds...
    Mar 03, 2011 · A rising number of elder abuse cases threatens to overwhelm inadequately staffed adult protective service agencies in many states, according to a …

"A rising number of elder abuse cases threatens to overwhelm inadequately staffed adult protective service agencies in many states, according to a …
"

sounds like some folks trying to save their jobs to me. In this climate of cut-backs.. it sounds like someone is making the case to keep their jobs around.

"A rising number of elder abuse cases threatens to overwhelm inadequately staffed adult protective service agencies in many states, according to a …
"

sounds like some folks trying to save their jobs to me. In this climate of cut-backs.. it sounds like someone is making the case to keep their jobs around.

No one wants to fall on their sword, when they have been cut to the bone

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back