Black People : Black people and science fiction/fantasy

I concur with the overall consensus: we need more Black writers in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy world.

A few years ago, I became a fan of the late Robert Jordan. Mr. Jordan, although a white man, wrote a series a books around a concept similar to what is found in the non-European world - life-force energy. He was very detailed about this concept that is sounded much like the Yoruba "ase." He also mingled different worlds, very familiar historical/esoteric items and a very vivid rendering of the cultural/ethnic composition of various societies inhabiting the lands in his work.

Some things found in his book:

One power - the source of all that can be wielded for both good or evil
Aes Sedai - a secretive initiatory group of women committed to using the feminine side of the One power
Children of Light - a hypocritical secretive military organization that professes purity of a distant god, yet seek esoteric knowledge (Knights Templar knockoff)

Another author of non-Black extraction whose concepts I like is Raymond E. Feist. His series of work is called the "Riftwar Cycle". He also provides a very vivid detail of the demographic landscape of his worlds. One thing I like most about his work is his Empire of Great Kesh. The name tells you about it.

As we continue I have a few concepts in mind for my own work. It is would incoporate the knowledge of invisibility reputedly known by the marabouts in the Senegambia region, the knowledge of bilocality of the Nri dibia, the knowledge of invincibility thought to be possessed by the inhabitants of northern Ghana, Togo and Benin, among other things our people are said to have known or possessed.

Malidoma Some stated (I'm paraphrasing or course- going off memory) that his Dagara elders perceived Star Trek to be real because in their reality things like this take place. The African world and the African mind is fertile for the development and narration of so-called Sci-Fi/Fantasy. Just ask the Black Man at the Crossroads.

'Siyo, Blackbird...

I ask that you keep in mind I've lived far from the lands my relations share with the Principal People, etc., I'm what some call an 'urban indian', and I know of (if not a lot about) 'the ways of (the) white folk'...

Those particular non indigneous folk and/or so called other human beings were and are led/lorded over/dominated/etc. by those who do indeed 'make it all up as they go along', so we just have to accept them as they are--not as we would like them to be, at least for the present...

From the very beginning, British backers of white immigration, to what are now called the Americas, lied to the less than affluent white folk, i. e.,, who scrapped together a life's savings etc., in order to book voyages etc. on those ships taking them to also what they were also misled to believe was unsettled lands-- aka in the so called 'New World', whereas British newspaper accounts characterized whichever bands of indigenous folk they might come into contact with as 'primitive savages', warlike, etc., ad naseum:

Eventually, out of such b. s. came the so called original 'pulp novels', etc., and later on Hollywood myths about 'cowboys and indians, i. e., about the mythical 'wild west', whereas reality revealed true 'badlands' and a lawless bunch of marading former white confederate soldiers, etc.

'Law and order' came fast and furious afterwards...

The point:

Their means and ways aren't me and mine/you and yours/for some easy to understand and know reasons...

So let us call invasions and occupations what they were and are:

Also let us know and understand that even white sf writers are merely revealing the means and ways some of their own maintain their status quo...

Therefore-- revealing in and of itself--that we're gone from sixties STAR TREK optimism-- to TERMINATOR/Redemption dystopian takes--i. e., on the oh so near to the future takes on--uh--'things to come'...

Based on what?

Sez who?!?

Since when!?!

So the question I'm asking of one and all here:

Is what 'new jack' rappers putting out here/there/everywhere downtrodden or uplifting?

Who truly has a new vision or a recycled old hustle??

A few even dissed our relations!

Say what?!?

Diss some of my own--you be dissing me--too!

Do back down or back up!

"Survival is the first law of nature!"

So what be this 'new and improved' vision of a better future some people claim or say they're putting forth:

As in--one better for me and mine--or just for them and their's?

My and the and more to the point?

We have a unique relationship to and with black folk in general:

We also have our choice and right to write/speak/out/up about what some of them be and be about--ala the here and now...

"Too many chiefs/not enough indians-?"

Don't even go there--with me--rappers...

You ain't even walked a block in my mocs!

At least--do keep it real--i. e., be candid and honest about what you and yours be about--(me and mine aren't)--black relations--!

Peace...

:SuN044:

Yeah I heard of your piece.

:geek:

Cool!

Omowalejabali has already dropped it - Blacksciencefictionsociety(dot)com is the abode where brothers and sisters bringing all manner of speculative fiction from inner-vision to the physical plain hangout.

New genres are being developed.

Sword & Soul, cifer-RA

The wave is already here... It's funny... did a search for African American science fiction forums, and lucked up on this thread. I need to spend more time here!

I concur with the overall consensus: we need more Black writers in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy world.

A few years ago, I became a fan of the late Robert Jordan. Mr. Jordan, although a white man, wrote a series a books around a concept similar to what is found in the non-European world - life-force energy. He was very detailed about this concept that is sounded much like the Yoruba "ase." He also mingled different worlds, very familiar historical/esoteric items and a very vivid rendering of the cultural/ethnic composition of various societies inhabiting the lands in his work.

Some things found in his book:

One power - the source of all that can be wielded for both good or evil
Aes Sedai - a secretive initiatory group of women committed to using the feminine side of the One power
Children of Light - a hypocritical secretive military organization that professes purity of a distant god, yet seek esoteric knowledge (Knights Templar knockoff)

Another author of non-Black extraction whose concepts I like is Raymond E. Feist. His series of work is called the "Riftwar Cycle". He also provides a very vivid detail of the demographic landscape of his worlds. One thing I like most about his work is his Empire of Great Kesh. The name tells you about it.

As we continue I have a few concepts in mind for my own work. It is would incoporate the knowledge of invisibility reputedly known by the marabouts in the Senegambia region, the knowledge of bilocality of the Nri dibia, the knowledge of invincibility thought to be possessed by the inhabitants of northern Ghana, Togo and Benin, among other things our people are said to have known or possessed.

Malidoma Some stated (I'm paraphrasing or course- going off memory) that his Dagara elders perceived Star Trek to be real because in their reality things like this take place. The African world and the African mind is fertile for the development and narration of so-called Sci-Fi/Fantasy. Just ask the Black Man at the Crossroads.

Powerful!

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back