Black People : an article which should be read-

deepy said:
Purple Moons..
really sorry...it was forwarded to me by several different friends of mine..so I am not sure specifically where the article was originally posted..and alas i do not have permission from the writer . Should we delete it...which would be sad. and when I receive these kinds of articles are you saying that I can't post them and or what would I need to do to protect all concerned?

Hi Sister Deepy and Sister Purple ... :wave:

Sister Deepy ... Sister Purple has found a link to this article on the Internet and shared it with me. I'll be editing your post above after i complete this post, removing the majority of the article and linking to where we can find it in its entirety. Thank you Sister Purple for going above and beyond to figure out a way to not have to delete this great work! You're the best Sister. Thank you Sister Deepy for knowing that we'd find it of great interest!

Sister Deepy ... i wanted to speak to your concerns, regarding posting the work of others without their permission. While Sister Purple had mentioned that it "protects" us, and i'm sure it does afford us some protection ... that is not the reason we have this as a rule here. With our house being all about respecting each other, it would be very hypocritical (in my opinon) if we simply used the property of others (by posting it here) without their permission. It reeks of disrespect. We have too many authors, writers, poets, artists sharing their work here, for us not to give like respect to others ... as we certainly want this same consideration. I think it's too easy to find the work on another site (hopefully one that has permission to post it), or to write to them personally, asking for their permission, to overlook doing this.

It's all about respecting that which belongs to our Sister or Brother, and asking them before we use it. So if we can't link to it, or don't have permission from the owner to post it, it can't be here. I realize all of this is more of a hassle, but i think it's well worth the effort. Those i've written seeking permission, have been very happy to see that there are still folk out here that don't just take what they want, just because they see it.

So ... having said this ... i'm going to edit your post above, and include the link Sister Purple found.

If you (or anyone) has questions, please ask.

Thanks again my Dear Darling Sisters!!! :love:

:heart:

Destee

purple moon...thanks for finding the article and linking it on...i hope we will take that extra moment to go and read it.
\
and destee./..I went about trying to find out from those who sent it to me how they got it...in fact the original sender was the writer(which is why his address and his email are in the article). I do understand the concept of respect , but sometimes when articles (such as the one above) are sent and/or written it is to get the largest readership they can. (the bottom line is to make people think ) so i'm still wondering what would I do to "protect"..since i am absolutely acknowledging the writer .. and my respect shows by sharing his/her words?
I am not trying to be funny...just considering the dilemma
thanks for working on the above...(the original thread , that is :spin: :laugh: :spin: )

Sister Deepy, i'm not sure that i understand your question. I'm not asking you to "protect" anything. I'm only asking that the Family abide by our rules, one of which is, to not post property that belongs to another, without including their permission with their property.

I understand that this rule may mean we miss out on some information being shared here, because one cannot find a link to it (where you could put a small portion of the work, then leave a link), or permission cannot be obtained. In cases like this, the discussion could still be held, if we put the jist of the work in our own words (though i realize this is rarely as good as the original).

The heart of this community is about us sharing our own words, and our own thoughts. As i've said before, we have a house full of authors, writers, poets, artists, etc., many who hope to be published one day. Most have put much work into what they share here, and i'd hate to see someone come along and "use their words/work" without even asking for their permission. I don't think acknowledgement is the same as permission, though it is admirable. Nor do i believe that because someone posts their work in one place, it means they grant permission for it to go any and everywhere. Someone used a Member's words/work from here, and i was carrying on like they used my stuff without permission! I'm quite protectful of us, and in order to be, i have to be quite respectful of others.

To me, one of the things we must do as a people, is to respect each other with a higher and a deeper love. A love that is built on a solid foundation, which includes the most basic of things. One of those basics, in my opinion, is that you ask your Sister or Brother before you use their property, even if you think they won't mind. Everyone deserves the courtesy of being able to say yes or no. I don't see how we can neglect this, if we are trying to build up what has been torn down.

Sister Deepy, this was our first rule ever, and you can read how it came about in this thread. I may be wrong or too hard regarding this issue, as some have said, but they've not convinced me. I'm open to changing all things, but i have to be shown that it's for the best and i don't think that will be easy to do ... but if anyone can, you're probably the one! :)

I'm not sure that i've answered your question, but if i haven't, please let me know and i'll try again ... shoot, i'll keep trying till i do!

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

my daughter just read all of the above and gave me a slap on the wrist...saying "bad".."you be bad"...
so i stand corrected...she said with the internet you just don't know so better not to do...she is definitely in agreement with you.
I do however have a piece that Imamu Baraka wrote about the playwrite Ron Milner...and he has given me permission to post it...but all you have is my word that he said i could...is that enough? If not...one slap is all i can take...

Let's look at the positive

Sister deepy, I understand your point and it's well taken. But Sister Des has made an important point as well. With information like what you've just shared available, we do NEED to know about it and that's why it's worth the extra effort to either receive permission from the original authors or add the link.

Sister I hope you don't view this as a "slap on your wrist" because, honestly, it's not. It's just an educable moment! Peace sister and please continue to enlighten us with your wisdom.

Queenie :heart:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

Blessings sent to all journeying in 2024 so far
Chevron Dove wrote on cherryblossom's profile.
Sis Cherryblossom,
hoping that you are at peace where ever you may be.
Back