Black People : an article which should be read-

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by deepy, Jul 18, 2004.

1. deepy

deepy going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +43
    I didn't like the title of the piece, but what it says...the title is:

'A CURRENT DARKNESS'

By Hal Crowther

Hal Crowther is a former writer for Time and Newsweek, the Buffalo News and the North Carolina Spectator before parking his column at the weekly Independent in Durham, N.C., and The Progressive Populist, among others. He won the H.L. Mencken Award for column writing in 1992. Write him at 219 N. Churton St., Hillsborough, NC 27278.

I used to take a drink on occasion with a network newsman famed for his impenetrable calm -- his apparent pulse rate that of a large mammal in deep hibernation -- and in an avuncular moment he advised me that I'd do all right, in the long run, if I could only avoid the kind of journalism committed to the keyboard "with trembling fingers." I recognized the wisdom of this advice and endeavored over the years to write as little as possible when my blood pressure was soaring and my face was streaked with tears. The lava flows of indignation ebb predictably with age and hardening arteries, and nearing three-score I thought I'd never have to take another tranquilizer -- or a double bourbon -- to keep my fingers steady on the keys.

I never imagined 2004. It would be sophomoric to say that there was never a worse year to be an American. My own memory preserves the dread summer of 1968. My parents suffered the consequences of 1941 and 1929, and my grandfather Jack Allen, who lived through all those dark years, might have added 1918, with the flu epidemic and the Great War in France that each failed, very narrowly, to kill him. Drop back another generation or two and we encounter 1861.

But if this is not the worst year yet to be an American, it's the worst year by far to be one of those hag-ridden wretches who comment on the American scene. The columnist who trades in snide one-liners flounders like a stupid comic with a tired audience; TV comedians and talk -show hosts who try to treat 2004 like any zany election year have become grotesque, almost loathsome. Our most serious, responsible newspaper columnists are so stunned by the disaster in Iraq that they've begun to quote poetry by Rupert Brooke and Wilfred Owen. They lower their voices; they sound like Army chaplains delivering eulogies over ranks of flag-draped coffins, under a hard rain from an iron sky.

Click Here To Read The Entire Article

2. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    Hello Sister Deepy!

I hate to interupt the flow of this very interesting article but do you have permission from the writer to post it here?

We have copy write rules that we enforce here for numerous reasons and I'm sure you can understand why.

A suggestion is that you edit some of the post and leave a link to where it can be found.

This is definately a must read! I can't wait to read the responses from others!

Thank you in advance for helping to keep our home protected!!!

3. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    "A guerrilla who opposes an invading army on his own soil is not a terrorist, he's a resistance fighter. In Iraq we're not fighting enemies but making enemies. As Richard Clarke and others have observed, every dollar, bullet and American life that we spend in Iraq is one that's not being spent in the war on terrorism. Every Iraqi, every Muslim we kill or torture or humiliate is a precious shot of adrenaline for Osama and al Qaeda.

The irreducible truth is that the invasion of Iraq was the worst blunder, the most staggering miscarriage of judgment, the most fateful, egregious, deceitful abuse of power in the history of American foreign policy. If you don't believe it yet, just keep watching. Apologists strain to dismiss parallels with Vietnam, but the similarities are stunning."

Nuff said...

Peace!
    Isaiah

4. deepy

United States
    Ratings:
    +43
    Purple Moons..
    really sorry...it was forwarded to me by several different friends of mine..so I am not sure specifically where the article was originally posted..and alas i do not have permission from the writer . Should we delete it...which would be sad. and when I receive these kinds of articles are you saying that I can't post them and or what would I need to do to protect all concerned?

5. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    I'm sorry to hear this because it is a very thought provoking article. I will discuss this with the other mods. I'm not sure if this situations has ever came up.

I would also like to add that our number 1 reason for providing a link or getting permission is out of respect and consideration for the Author. If we don't exercise this rule, then other's won't show the same respect for our members written work as well.

Do you know the persons who sent you the article? Maybe she/he can tell you where to find it. I agree that it would be a great lost to delete it. Hold on a bit until I find out more about this type of situation.

If you receive other interesting articles such as this one and can't find a link to it, perhaps you can put the contents in your own words, describing what's going on, what's being said, and your personal opinion on it.

Below is a link to our forum rules which stands as a guide for our community.

www.Destee.com/rules

If you have in questions, concerns, and suggestions, post them in the Premium members lounge. we value your opinion as we all strive to make our home like no other on the internet.

So for now, don't delete your post. I will get back to you on the matter. You will find the answer on whether or not to delete it in the Premium forum as soon as the answer is confirmed.

Thank you so much Sister Deepy for your speedy response! :luv:

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Hi Sister Deepy and Sister Purple ... :wave:

Sister Deepy ... Sister Purple has found a link to this article on the Internet and shared it with me. I'll be editing your post above after i complete this post, removing the majority of the article and linking to where we can find it in its entirety. Thank you Sister Purple for going above and beyond to figure out a way to not have to delete this great work! You're the best Sister. Thank you Sister Deepy for knowing that we'd find it of great interest!

Sister Deepy ... i wanted to speak to your concerns, regarding posting the work of others without their permission. While Sister Purple had mentioned that it "protects" us, and i'm sure it does afford us some protection ... that is not the reason we have this as a rule here. With our house being all about respecting each other, it would be very hypocritical (in my opinon) if we simply used the property of others (by posting it here) without their permission. It reeks of disrespect. We have too many authors, writers, poets, artists sharing their work here, for us not to give like respect to others ... as we certainly want this same consideration. I think it's too easy to find the work on another site (hopefully one that has permission to post it), or to write to them personally, asking for their permission, to overlook doing this.

It's all about respecting that which belongs to our Sister or Brother, and asking them before we use it. So if we can't link to it, or don't have permission from the owner to post it, it can't be here. I realize all of this is more of a hassle, but i think it's well worth the effort. Those i've written seeking permission, have been very happy to see that there are still folk out here that don't just take what they want, just because they see it.

So ... having said this ... i'm going to edit your post above, and include the link Sister Purple found.

If you (or anyone) has questions, please ask.

Thanks again my Dear Darling Sisters!!! :love:

:heart:

Destee

7. deepy

United States
    Ratings:
    +43
    purple moon...thanks for finding the article and linking it on...i hope we will take that extra moment to go and read it.
    \
    and destee./..I went about trying to find out from those who sent it to me how they got it...in fact the original sender was the writer(which is why his address and his email are in the article). I do understand the concept of respect , but sometimes when articles (such as the one above) are sent and/or written it is to get the largest readership they can. (the bottom line is to make people think ) so i'm still wondering what would I do to "protect"..since i am absolutely acknowledging the writer .. and my respect shows by sharing his/her words?
    I am not trying to be funny...just considering the dilemma
    thanks for working on the above...(the original thread , that is :spin: :laugh: :spin: )

8. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Sister Deepy, i'm not sure that i understand your question. I'm not asking you to "protect" anything. I'm only asking that the Family abide by our rules, one of which is, to not post property that belongs to another, without including their permission with their property.

I understand that this rule may mean we miss out on some information being shared here, because one cannot find a link to it (where you could put a small portion of the work, then leave a link), or permission cannot be obtained. In cases like this, the discussion could still be held, if we put the jist of the work in our own words (though i realize this is rarely as good as the original).

The heart of this community is about us sharing our own words, and our own thoughts. As i've said before, we have a house full of authors, writers, poets, artists, etc., many who hope to be published one day. Most have put much work into what they share here, and i'd hate to see someone come along and "use their words/work" without even asking for their permission. I don't think acknowledgement is the same as permission, though it is admirable. Nor do i believe that because someone posts their work in one place, it means they grant permission for it to go any and everywhere. Someone used a Member's words/work from here, and i was carrying on like they used my stuff without permission! I'm quite protectful of us, and in order to be, i have to be quite respectful of others.

To me, one of the things we must do as a people, is to respect each other with a higher and a deeper love. A love that is built on a solid foundation, which includes the most basic of things. One of those basics, in my opinion, is that you ask your Sister or Brother before you use their property, even if you think they won't mind. Everyone deserves the courtesy of being able to say yes or no. I don't see how we can neglect this, if we are trying to build up what has been torn down.

Sister Deepy, this was our first rule ever, and you can read how it came about in this thread. I may be wrong or too hard regarding this issue, as some have said, but they've not convinced me. I'm open to changing all things, but i have to be shown that it's for the best and i don't think that will be easy to do ... but if anyone can, you're probably the one! :)

I'm not sure that i've answered your question, but if i haven't, please let me know and i'll try again ... shoot, i'll keep trying till i do!

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

9. deepy

United States
    Ratings:
    +43
    my daughter just read all of the above and gave me a slap on the wrist...saying "bad".."you be bad"...
    so i stand corrected...she said with the internet you just don't know so better not to do...she is definitely in agreement with you.
    I do however have a piece that Imamu Baraka wrote about the playwrite Ron Milner...and he has given me permission to post it...but all you have is my word that he said i could...is that enough? If not...one slap is all i can take...

10. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Let's look at the positive

Sister deepy, I understand your point and it's well taken. But Sister Des has made an important point as well. With information like what you've just shared available, we do NEED to know about it and that's why it's worth the extra effort to either receive permission from the original authors or add the link.

Sister I hope you don't view this as a "slap on your wrist" because, honestly, it's not. It's just an educable moment! Peace sister and please continue to enlighten us with your wisdom.

Queenie :heart: