Black People : You are not black, because

I miss them days when Dc was still chocolate city... I miss going to the Unifest... I miss seeing bands performing round the way... dc was just love man smh...
Oh yeah, man. DC was down back then. When I left, they were still having the Stoned Soul Picnic at RFK, which used to be the bomb, especially when it first started. They would have old-school groups like The Spinners, The Manhattans, Kool and the Gang, Parliament, all on the same day along with DC Go-Go groups like Trouble-Funk, EU, and Chuck Brown, who would be playing in a section for the Go-Go crew. That was one day when you would see the hood and the so-called black high- class jamming together, whether they were from the city or the burbs. They used to start off with the Go-Go bands, then finish off with old-school groups like Parliament, or The Manhattans, etc... Then after about ten years or so, the old-school groups like Parliament, The Manhattans, etc... would play first, then they would finish off with Chuck Brown and the Go-Go groups as the main attraction. Then it got down to only one or two of the old-school groups showing up. It must have been the budget cuts. And it seemed like those fine classy honeys disappeared right with those old-school groups. But the Stone Soul Picnic never lost that peaceful loving atmosphere, even when the fine honeys got out numbered, and were eventually replaced by the rough girls...I want to use another name, but I'll back off.

You know in the early to mid 70's we couldn't really do this without fighting and acting a fool. I still remember what happened at the 1978's Chocolate Jam at RFK...I was there. If you tried to set up a tent or picnic area, you got trampled. Then I still remember what happened at Human Kindness Day in 75' with Stevie Wonder at Malcolm X Park, across the street from where I was raised, when that congressman lost his eye. I mean what did they expect? You had to role you windows up every time you drove through that ghetto. Anyway, that was it for DC for a while. I must admit, we came a long way since those days.

I heard they were still having the free jazz concerts every week at Fort Dupont. I just missed the yearly Lake Abor Jazz Festival in Lake Arbor right up the street from where my mother lives. It ain't like I was going to drive back home to see it however. That event turned bigger than the Fort Dupont concerts I hear. It went from free to $15.00. But I hear it didn't stop those fine honeys from coming. It may have increased them. Yeah, I miss the DMV too. Now I'm still learning my way around the ATL, but I slowed down a lot. You know how that go.

I've done all three. Military

Ok..just call me a punk cuz wasn't jumpin out no plane, or hangin over da edge of a rock....hell, you should have seen me when I had to change the wind birds :cry:

:lol:

:toast:

I had to dumb down so I could fit in. It was a waste of time because it wasn't me.

Peace!
You know the sad thing about it is, you still run into black adults every now and then who try to make you feel like you come up short when it comes to being black. One of my very best friends did this to me after 12 years of friendship, basically because I graduated from a prestigious white university, although it took forever to finish. Of course he didn't tell me he was envious, but I knew him well in that regard. But I didn't expect him to come out like that.

I met him while I was a guard. He was almost like a brother to me. For some reason, he never left the hood. Anyway, when he came out like that at me, it took me back to the days when I first moved to the suburbs. Years later after a 7 year gap in our friendship (because of something unrelated), in his own way, he tried to say he didn't mean it.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, man. DC was down back then. When I left, they were still having the Stoned Soul Picnic at RFK, which used to be the bomb, especially when it first started. They would have old-school groups like The Spinners, The Manhattans, Kool and the Gang, Parliament, all on the same day along with DC Go-Go groups like Trouble-Funk, EU, and Chuck Brown, who would be playing in a section for the Go-Go crew. That was one day when you would see the hood and so-called black high- class jamming together, whether they was from the city or the burbs. They used to start off with the Go-Go bands, then finish off with groups like Parliament, or The Manhattans, etc... Then after about ten years or so, the groups like Parliament, The Manhattans, etc... would play first, then they would finish off with Chuck Brown and Go-Go as the main attraction. Then it got down to only one or two of these old-school groups showing up. It must have been the budget cuts. And it seemed like those fine classy honeys disappeared right with those old school groups. But the Stone Soul Picnic never lost that peaceful loving atmosphere, even when the fine honeys got out numbered, and were eventually replaced by the rough girls...I want to used the real name, but I'll back off.

You know in the early to mid 70's we couldn't really do this without fighting and acting a fool. I still remember what happened at the 1978's Chocolate Jam at RFK...I was there. If you tried to set up a tent or picnic area, you got trampled. Then I still remember what happened at Human Kindness Day in 75' with Stevie Wonder at Malcolm X Park, across the street from where I was raised, when that congress man lost his eye. I mean what did they expect. You had to role you windows up every time you came through that ghetto. Anyway, that was it for DC for a while. I must admit, we came a long way since those days.

I heard they were still having the free jazz concerts every week at Fort Dupont. I just missed the yearly Lake Abor Jazz Festival in Lake Arbor right up the street from where my mother lives. It ain't like I was going to drive back home to see it however. That event turned bigger than the Fort Dupont concerts I hear. It went from free to $15.00. But I hear it didn't stop those fine honeys from coming. It may have increased them. Yeah, I miss the DMV too. Now I'm still learning my way around the ATL, but I slowed down a lot. You know how that go.

Whooaa thats waaay before my time old skool lol.... I remember when I told my uncle that Backyard was the greatest gogo band ever, he cursed me out and told me not to touch none of budlight cuz he paid for it smh

My spots were the Dc Tunnel and the Black Hole (lawd the babies that was made up there smh lol)

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

Blessings sent to all journeying in 2024 so far
Chevron Dove wrote on cherryblossom's profile.
Sis Cherryblossom,
hoping that you are at peace where ever you may be.
Back