Black Entertainment : why i don't like martin lawrence

I see your point

i am dealing with the fact that many if not all of the black male actors have performed in a dress. i don't like that.

I despise the movies White Chicks

220px-White_chicks.jpg

Movie drives me crazy :em2100:

I think sometimes we hurl negative feelings towards celebrities that we do not know on a personal level. I don't like the big Mama roles because I think it is updated black face,and frankly don't find the movies very funny at all.

However I have a few actor friends in LA,they are not well known nor are they wealthy,hence they pick up waiter/bartender jobs on the side. One told me that Martin Lawrence came in to his restaurant of employment,sat in his section,and tipped him $150 on a not so large tab. I have heard from another actress that Martin goes out of his way to cast unknown Black actors in projects that he writes and produces,he may not cast all of them but at least he gives them a shot to audition,in Hollywood it is extremely difficult even to land an audition for a major production, if you're unknown in the business. Yet I know of another actress,she was performing in a talent showcase in Los Angeles,low and behold unexpectedly Martin was sitting in the back of the audience,he was scouting talent that night,he invited a few of the Black actors back to his personal residence . No they didn't get cast his production (at least to our knowledge),but a lot of the time casting has to do with the suits wanting of bigger names to fill theater seats,but just because you didn't get in that roll,does not mean it wasn't worth your time. Maybe you were too young, too,old,to tall,too short,to fat,too skinny,too light,too dark,or just had a bad read. These subtle hurdles do not mean you won't get called in again for the next project.They say that Martin really looks out for young and unknown Black actors of all ages, and experience levels. He is said to have a reputation for reaching out,and networking with Black industry professionals and performers,and is very serious about Black unity in Hollywood.

Hearing this changed my mind about the guy,no I don't care for his cross dressing roles (for the record I felt the same way about Robin Williams in Mrs. Doubtfire), but that does not mean we should judge his character,or hate on him. For every Big Mamas house he makes 100 mill off of,is more money that he can use to produce his own projects,and hire struggling actors,writers,producers,make up artists,talent agents,cooks,drivers,grips etc.

Peace

these guys are not out as gays they are doing it for the money.....
yes, i do defend gays right to be. i believe gays should not be hated. i do not hate gays.
i do hate the phenomena of black male actors dressing as females for "comedy". i don't find it funny.
i dislike tyler perry and i think his work is bad for black people but i do not want him killed by a hammer.
sorry if my feelings are not simple. i am a complex person.

okay.. first: let's put the hate, the hammers, the killing and all that away..
and there's no need to be sorry, we are all complex beings with complex
feelings. I'm just trying to understand where you are coming from. It's an
accumulative process.. and as a student of Context I have to put 1 and 1
together and check the logic whenever it equals anything other than 2.

getting back to the point:

You said:

these guys are not out as gays they are doing it for the money.

I find that really interesting..

So, if they were "out as gays" then these comedians dressed like women would
somehow cease to be "bad for black people"?

What's the difference? Don't all men have mothers? And can't they all put on a
wig and imitate their likeness? And wouldn't both renditions be equally harmful or
harmless? how could the details of the actors personal life change the way his
performance affects black people?

It would help if you could explain what you mean when you say "bad for black people."

the way you say it seems to imply that black comedians imitating women is bad
for us in some direct cultural kind of way.. and absent any confirmation by you, I
suspect that this badness you speak of has something to do with the development
of our young men.. but you couldn't be saying that straight men in dresses on the
big screen are bad for black people but men holding hands and kissing on a city street
is somehow good for those same black people that were harmed by the comedian in
a dress.. could you?

So, what do you mean when you say, these comedians imitating women is "Bad for black people"?

It would help if you could explain what you mean when you say "bad for black people."

the way you say it seems to imply that black comedians imitating women it is bad
for us in some direct cultural kind of way.. and absent any confirmation by you, I
suspect that this badness you speak of has something to do with the development
of our young men.. but you couldn't be saying that straight men in dresses on the
big screen are bad for black people but men holding hands and kissing on a city street
is somehow good for those same black people that were harmed by the comedian in
a dress.. could you?

So, what do you mean when you say, these comedians imitating women is "Bad for black people"?
if a gay person dresses as a woman they are doing what their drives tell them. they may feel they are feminine. it's honest.
a straight guy in a dress is just exploiting drag for money. it's like a white person in blackface. i don't like it.

what is bad for black people is the mantra "i'll do ANYTHING for the money".
this is the same "logic" that leads one kid to kill another for his tee shirt.
capitalism makes pimps and whores of us all. look at little willow smith.
i think that is bad for black people.

two gays holding hands on the street does not send that same message.

In the Spirit of Sankofa and Peace and Love!

i am dealing with the fact that many if not all of the black male actors have performed in a dress. i don't like that.

.......Join the club:)...cause you don't exist in a vacuum brother, but such diversionary tactics remove us from the real issue of Racism White Supremacy, according to Dr. Welsing, doesn't it?

And thanks for the BlogTalk update, good looking out.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back