Black Women : Why Do We Keep Running?

DESEGREGATION! That’s where it all started! Yes what we won in the courts we lost in culture! When we were segregated we all lived in the same area no matter how prosperous we were. Doctors, Lawyers, Bankers, Undertakers, School teachers, Preachers, Business shop owners, Rail Road workers, Factory workers, Porters, Maids and on and on. Yes there was a lil social structure within the community but we all lived in the same neighborhood. It kept the neighborhood stable and there were plenty of role models around during the 30’s 40’s and 50’s. Our black communities were booming bustling, but the 60’s and 70’s changed all that! The government trying to stifle the black movement allowed our communities to be flooded with drugs in hope of sedating us in to the coma of contentment. That’s when the Pimps Drug Dealers and street Hustlers be came prominent people moving next door to our other prominent people.

The cream started moving away and thus began the moving on up trend! Those of us that could not afford to move were left to watch the neighborhood detiriate and start to be taken over by other ethnic groups. When we had no place else to go we went no place else! And this trend will never change until those of us that have means come back and rescue those who don’t and start investing in our communities, move back into the hood. Its starting in Harlem NY but guess who is also coming to dinner (former Pres Clinton wasn’t forced to put his office in Harlem he chose to, and you would be surprised at how many white folks have followed, buying up all the brownstones) back in the 30’s and 40’s anybody who was anybody and black lived in Harlem on Sugar Hill.

Harlem is making a come back folks wanna live "UPTOWNE”! People like Magic Johnson have invested big money in Harlem (Hold UP! I gotta give big ups to Magic JOHNSON, this man has singled handedly started a trend all over the nation to revive our homesteads, and he is convincing large corporations to invest Magic has pointed out to them (like KEM said) that we are a 600 billion $ market (and they better recognize) Those of us who have remained there must hold it down until the cavalry comes! I like you Thandiwe I am staying! My family was one of the first to integrate back in the 60's. We were the 1st black family on the block! When I started my own family I moved back to be with my people and I am helping to return the hood back to the glory days. Now I can move if I chose I am far from stuck! I am one of the prominent people of this community. But after growing up in those white schools with white neighbors and dealing with all that hatred and racism being the only one and the first I discovered what Dorothy was saying "THERES NO PLACE LIKE HOME"!!!!HOME"!!!!

Well, I see that this post is 8 years old.

However, from what I hear from my relatives in Harlem, it's almost to the point that Black folks can't afford to live in Harlem.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back