Black Women : The Words We Use to Define Ourselves

The language we use (English) is the language of a people who lie about every aspect of life. It's hard to tell the truth using such a language which is designed to promote lies and not to express truths unknown to its native users.

Many of us know that the terms woman and female promote the lie of patriarchy. We try to get around this by using terms which define us by our reproductive organs. I don't mean to be difficult but I have a problem with the name womban and other such monikers. Here's why:

Last month one of my cousins was forced to undergo a hysterectomy because of fibroids in her womb that were so numerous there was just no way to remove them without removing the entire uterus. How then can she define herself by an organ she no longer has? Did she also lose the essence that connects her to other sisters?

And what about those like me who for whatever reason have just never been pregnant? How can I be connected by a word which describes an experience I've never had?

Is it possible that we as sisters can define ourselves by something more inclusive or do we need to go outside this idiotic language and come up with our own terms? Is there an African term?

Time and again, even though some were enslaved, the go betweens tended to be those who could understood and spoke many languages, way back in the day...

Are you implying or suggesting we are less able to do what our ancestors did as a given?

I hope not!

I was also led to believe our deeds must back up our words etc.

FYI

:10200:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back