Black Women : The Words We Use to Define Ourselves

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by river, Aug 8, 2008.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    The language we use (English) is the language of a people who lie about every aspect of life. It's hard to tell the truth using such a language which is designed to promote lies and not to express truths unknown to its native users.

Many of us know that the terms woman and female promote the lie of patriarchy. We try to get around this by using terms which define us by our reproductive organs. I don't mean to be difficult but I have a problem with the name womban and other such monikers. Here's why:

Last month one of my cousins was forced to undergo a hysterectomy because of fibroids in her womb that were so numerous there was just no way to remove them without removing the entire uterus. How then can she define herself by an organ she no longer has? Did she also lose the essence that connects her to other sisters?

And what about those like me who for whatever reason have just never been pregnant? How can I be connected by a word which describes an experience I've never had?

Is it possible that we as sisters can define ourselves by something more inclusive or do we need to go outside this idiotic language and come up with our own terms? Is there an African term?

2. truetothecause

truetothecause Well-Known Member MEMBER

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    GODDESS

is the first thing that comes to mind......

for...

M.E.
    :hearts2:

3. Jaisolovely

Jaisolovely Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3

So how do you define yourself?

4. Jahari Kavi

Jahari Kavi Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Self Development
    Ratings:
    +523
    I'm not going to comment just yet....I wanna see where this goes......

5. ang-EL

ang-EL Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +50
    Mobite is a good term for a sister as well. It is a word that connects you to your ancient roots through Ruth in the Bible.

On another level how do you define yourselves on a National level? Every one else in America is what their forefathers/mothers were first. Example; French American, Itallian American, Chinese American, Nigerian American...etc. Africa is not a Nation so African American is a fradulent term. Black is an adjative so it too is fradulent as a name for people......

6. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    I cannot define myself with the language we speak in a way that is all inclusive. As inaccurate as it is I just use the word woman since most of us understand that it refers to an adult human being with two X chromosomes. Like I said this is inaccurate because there ain't a woman on Earth living or dead who was born of a man. That raises the question is it possible to define ourselves without words? Since the essence of who and what we are preceeds all human languges. But the essence of who we are is neither male nor female, concepts that don't even take shape until the fourteenth week of pregnancy.

We could use the Yoruba word obìnrin. Although the man (ôkùnrin,) and woman share what seems to be a suffix the words do not the injustice done in English. Acknowledging that men and women share something in common that is not the same as having the make principle imposed on me and my own identity obliterated.

7. Jaisolovely

Jaisolovely Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    rambling

Maybe you are looking at it all wrong. We all know that the womb is not located where the rib is and that only the feminine principle can give birth to something. What is the etymology for the word "woman".... oh wait I'll look it up for myself. Also we have to look at the balance of both principles male and female. Wait, I need to look up "female" as well.....?

8. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    more rambling: need for a language

beggin your pardon, myQueens for my offering:

bottom line, myQueen River is absolutely correct - this "english" language seems to be only good for fighting, one-upmanship, the subtle put-down, etc. it ain't much good for expressing anything of Truth, and/or Beauty in the Existence of the All. (hmmm ... might those two terms actually be more synonomous than the "languages of man" suggest? "Truth in/of/is Beauty; Beauty in/of/is Truth"?)

"Queen", "Goddess", "Mother" - all come with/from that same basic "baggage": "Woman". <shrug> but until either another language is created, or an older/ancient language is "resurrected", we seem to be stuck. it always has seemed to me that there are some languges around this planet that come closer to touching the Truth/Beauty of "TheReal" than others.

"ignore" us; find/build, and then BE the Definition that YOU KNOW works for YOU. and please hurry: <smile> when you get your feet under you, we'll have some sort of Truth/Foundation to help [re]build Us/Family/Home/Heart/Hearth from! :bowdown:

please pardon my rambling.

9. kee

kee Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    peace, from the school of thought i like to call-- we CREATED this here,

there are many lofty ideas surrounding and encompassed in true blackness. if we are to say that we are the masters of creation from the universe to civilization to the worlds population(s) if all stems from us then we create the rules, when you relinquish that power, it gives room for the lie. as far as i can tell if blacks are who civilized this world then not only music (as seen in hip hop, country, blues, rock, etc ---which are all simply forms of expressing that thing we call music) then any derivatives owe master patent to us i.e. they are ours. this extends to language too. if we speak in wholism, let the words we use carry our definitions and mind set then we can communcate that thing we are describing. stop giving others power to "create" and "define" we can let it be. a broken/separated mind does not hold the truth nor authority. the power we give words manifests in reality.

please excuse the rough quote above... i dont know how to reply yet to certain aspects within a post (maybe this is right...either way i'm new, hi everyone :wave:)

10. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,325
    What comes of our mouth is defined by us, not the other way around.

Since we form the words, how can they be our definition in any language? They are not; so being called a female doesn't define who you are, but rather you give definition to the word female, such as all women of the world do.

This meaning if someone thinks "female" or "woman" stops at one woman in all her personality, abilities, looks, and so on, then another woman comes to show, "this is a female and woman, too", so they'd have to expand what they view to be female or woman, and the same is for any gender specific word.

They which are greater and the creator defines the lesser and the formed.