Black Muslims : The Holy Qu'ran

So far, we have covered two words in Arabic from Surah al-Alaq. These twe words are Iqra and bismi. Take together, we have Read in the name of, with Iqra=Read and bismi=In the name of. This is pretty good progress because we have learned seven Arabic letters as they appear in the two words. Before we complete the Surah, we will probably know all of the Arabic alphabet and how they are read in context. Thus, the word Iqra (Read) has special meaning to us here.

The next word in Ayat 96:1 is rabika, رَبِّكَ in Arabic. This means thy Lord. So now we have Read in the name of thy Lord. Reading from right to left, the first letter in rabikka is رَ, pronounced ra, the Arabic letter for “r”. Notice the ‘ above the letter. This indicates the vowel sound for “a” as in car. So the sound is “ra”. There is no connector when رَ is at the beginning of a word. Therefore, the next letter بّ is in the initial form as we see here: ر‎. We know this is بّ because it has a dot under it. Notice that is this بّ, we also have a ‘ above it. This means that the vowel sound is “a” as in car. Thus the sound is “ba”.

The final letter is ﻙ‎ which looks like this as the last letter in a word: ـك
These very encouraging and inspiring words are ٱقۡرَأۡ بِٱسۡمِ رَبِّكَ, which means Read in the name of thy Lord. Thus, Islam was first Revealed to the Holy Prophet Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon him) who had previously thought that he could not read. We will learn later in Surah al-Alaq that the Angel taught him how to read GOD’Word.

Thank you for your response Sistah Cherry Blossom. You have answered my question. BTW: If ya want a very good Translation that will explain things use the Abdullah Yusuf Ali translation. It contains Text, translation and commentary. Also, I don't recommend using Ahadith either. Although some can be verified via the Qu'Ran others can confuse and misguide. If you need help just ask.

As-Salaam Alaikum
Nasheed Hameen

Thank you much for that! :toast:

I think I found that translation!

The Quran Translation by Yusuf Ali

Is that the one you meant?

SURAH INDEX

@ AbdurratIn:

Sometimes I see the word "SuraH" and sometimes it is spelled without the "h," "Sura."

Which is correct?

It is impossible to transliterate perfectly from Arabic into English. I suppose this is due at least in part to the various dialects and various scripts in Arabic. Another problem is Arabic has more alphabets than Roman. One of the most difficult problems that I have is precisely that. One day, I will see one script and the next day I will an entirely different script meaning exactly the same thing.

Take my name for nstance which is Abdurrahman. When I tranliterate it into English directly as it is in Arabic I get Abdul Rahman. Or, Abdur Rahman or Abdir Rahman. Soem time tha e word Adul will apear as Abdel. The important thing are consonants, not the vowels. So, if I tranliteratye to an Anglo as Abdul Rahman, he may respond by calling me Mr. Rahman which means Mr. GOD. So, I do it like this to force them to call me Mr Abdul: Abdurrahman.

This is one reason I insist that study in Arabic. There ias just too much confusion associated with everything we get in English from Arabic.

It is impossible to trnaliterate perfectly from Arabic into English. I suppose this is due at least in part to the various dialects and various scripts in Arabic. One of the most difficult problems that I have is precisely that. One day, I will see one script and the next day I will an entirely different script meaning exactly the same thing.

Take my name for nstance which is Abdurrahman. When I tranliterate it into English directly as it is in Arabic I get Abdul Rahman. Or, Abdur Rahman or Abdir Rahman. Soem time tha e word Adul will apear as Abdel. The important thing are consonants, not the vowels. So, if I tranliteratye to an Anglo as Abdul Rahman, he may respond by calling me Mr. Rahman which means Mr. GOD. So, I do it like this to force them to call me Mr Abdul: Abdurrahman.

This is one reason I insist that study in Arabic. There ias just too much confusion associated with everything we get in English from Arabic.

Whoa!....Now, that's quite a lesson for today! (lol)

Cuz now, I'm a little confused......If the important thing is the "consonants," not the vowels, then how could "Abdul" be translated into "Abdir" or "Abdur?"

I can kinda see the "Abdel" because it has the same ending consonant, "L."

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

Blessings sent to all journeying in 2024 so far
Chevron Dove wrote on cherryblossom's profile.
Sis Cherryblossom,
hoping that you are at peace where ever you may be.
Back