Computers - Software Hardware : The Apple Mac-mini

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Shikamaru, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    Mac-mini

Now that is a nice little device :) .....

2. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    Shikamaru....are you a Mac or a PC?

3. Shikamaru

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    All the above.

I run iOS, Windows, Linux, Solaris, Android, and FreeBSD. Only OS I don't have or run is OS X. If its an OS, I run it in some form or fashion.
    As to hardware, I run laptops; tablets; smartphones; workstations; servers; set-top devices, NAS, and virtual machines. Only thing I don't have is a SAN .... yet.

4. thePreacher

thePreacher Banned MEMBER

Agent Of Change
    Ratings:
    +815
    I bought a MAC Mini as my first Mac in 2006 and have been a Mac guy ever since. My biggest complaint then was that you could not upgrade above 4G. But newer models now go up to 8G. I have seen used ones pop up on EBay for as little as $200 which is cheap for a Mac. Apple markets them to Windows users as the cheapest way to buy into the Mac world because you can use your existing VGA/DVI monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

5. SlickBeast

SlickBeast Well-Known Member MEMBER

Australia
    Programmer/Game developer
    Ratings:
    +361
    I don't touch apple products. Only thing I have from apple is itunes to watch movies.

6. Shikamaru

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    Do you have the AppleTV device?

I put iTunes in a VM. Now I have an iTunes server. Runs great. Can stream my DivX and Xvid movies through to any TV in the house through my AppleTV devices.

Love Netflix too.

7. SlickBeast

SlickBeast Well-Known Member MEMBER

Australia
    Programmer/Game developer
    Ratings:
    +361
    No I use itunes for PC. They are talking about itunes for android as well. I might check Netflix, see if it's cheaper there. I might get the AppleTV. How much is it? $99?

8. Shikamaru

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    Yep... only $99 dollars. Make sure you have a TV with HDMI.

I like to keep my systems clean by placing iTunes in its own cage i.e. a virtual machine.

Netflix is AWESOME. I can stream movies to any device, anywhere, anytime. Love it :).

I'm a purist; therefore, I will not download iTunes on my Android ... LOL.

9. Gorilla

Gorilla Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    The Mac Minis are nice, and if I decide to have something still running OSX in the next few years it seems like my best option. Right now I own a pretty old Macbook 3,1 that's aging well except for some build quality issues and only being supported hardware wise up to OSX Lion (Mountain is not supported and Lion was removed from the App Store for some reason). Am I going to stay in Apple's ecosystem? I don't think I will, but if I decide to a mac mini seems like a decent option. As for my old Macbook with a case that's cracking and palm rest cracks that are covered up with some stickers, it's going to be a pure Linux box when Apple finally decides to stop supporting Snow Leopard (even though it's older than two releases).

My next laptop may possibly be something from Lenovo or the Dell XPS (Project Sputnik style)/something similar when I decide to make the purchase.

10. thePreacher

thePreacher Banned MEMBER

Agent Of Change
    Ratings:
    +815
    I am using a 2007 Macbook whose display died a couple of weeks ago. I am now using an external DVI monitor, but this has made me aware that the day is coming when I am going to have to buy another Mac. And I see the new Mac Mini can now go up to 16G ram. Plus quad core. You can even have 'em lo-jacked. I gotta get me one of these ...

I get your reluctance to upgrade from Snow Leopard. That is what I am using as well. Since you wanna go pure Linux on your next machine, what do you think of using Mac Ports to get a Linux interface into your existing Mac? My only having 4G now raises some performance issues with running Linux in a VM, but mac ports is a viable alternative for Nix stuff I want which does not natively support OS X:

http://www.macports.org/

When my Macbook was down for repairs, I picked up an old Dell Optiplex for $95 [even though I hate Windows and everything it stands for] because I figured I needed its DVI monitor anyway. After the usual hours and hours of wasted time loading XP, then SP3, then the other stuff [like a virus scanner] which you have to have with Windows but which MS failed to include in XP, I installed Cygwin which is the Windows analog to Mac Ports --- a Way to get a Linux UI into a Windows machine. Cygwin prevents me from getting too close to the Dark Side [MS Windoze]:

http://www.cygwin.com/

"Yes. A Jedi's strength flows from the Force, but beware of the Dark Side. "