Black People Politics : Ohio lawyer may spend five days in jail for wearing a Black Lives Matter pin

Liberty

BANNED
Aug 28, 2015
Attorney Andrea Burton was cited by Youngstown municipal court judge Robert Milich for wearing the pin while representing a client in court on Friday

5184.jpg

A northern
Ohio attorney could serve five days in jail, pending an appeal, after a municipal judge held her in contempt of court for wearing a Black Lives Matter pin.

While representing a client in court on Friday, attorney Andrea Burton was cited by Youngstown municipal court judge Robert Milich for wearing a pin that, she said, was covered by the US constitution’s first amendment.

“He indicated to me that he didn’t know whether I was trying to seek attention from the news, or whatever the case, but that legally, I wasn’t allowed to wear it,” Burton, 30, told a local NBC affiliate. “And I deferred, and said that I’m respecting my first amendment right, that I’m not neutral in injustice, and to remain neutral becomes an accomplice to oppression.”

Read more

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jul/26/ohio-lawyer-jail-black-lives-matter-pin

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

Blessings sent to all journeying in 2024 so far
Chevron Dove wrote on cherryblossom's profile.
Sis Cherryblossom,
hoping that you are at peace where ever you may be.
Back