Black People Politics : Ohio lawyer may spend five days in jail for wearing a Black Lives Matter pin

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by Liberty, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Liberty

Liberty going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +3,224
    Attorney Andrea Burton was cited by Youngstown municipal court judge Robert Milich for wearing the pin while representing a client in court on Friday

[​IMG]

A northern
    Ohio attorney could serve five days in jail, pending an appeal, after a municipal judge held her in contempt of court for wearing a Black Lives Matter pin.

While representing a client in court on Friday, attorney Andrea Burton was cited by Youngstown municipal court judge Robert Milich for wearing a pin that, she said, was covered by the US constitution’s first amendment.

“He indicated to me that he didn’t know whether I was trying to seek attention from the news, or whatever the case, but that legally, I wasn’t allowed to wear it,” Burton, 30, told a local NBC affiliate. “And I deferred, and said that I’m respecting my first amendment right, that I’m not neutral in injustice, and to remain neutral becomes an accomplice to oppression.”

Read more

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jul/26/ohio-lawyer-jail-black-lives-matter-pin

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    :11200: hey, that's longer than the cops get for killing a black person.......

3. Liberty

Liberty going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +3,224
    Word..