Black People : NON-HBCU univ. graduates more Black than any HBCU

I think HBCUs have some major work to do. I'm a student at GA State(the school mentioned in the article) and I'm also a graduate of community college with more than 95% of it's population consisting of Black students.

I can say with high degree of certainty that HBCUs are failing their students. Not necessarily on the academic side (they do still graduate the lion's share of Black students) but definitely on the employment and entrepreneurship side. Also, they do very little to facilitate beneficial relationship between students and alumni.

When I compare what I see going on at HBCUs in ATL versus what goes on at GSU, I feel bad the students at the Black schools because they're alumni isn't as strong as mine and isn't as engaged as mine. Being able to interact on an individual basis with power players - whether they are CEOs of public companies or small business owners - is powerful. It makes job hunting after graduation miniscule.

HBCUs have graduated some illustrious (and rich) alumni. Yet, I know for a fact that GSU's (which is mostly full of no-names) alumni out-funds that of any HBCU.

It's sad to think that more opportunity is afforded to Black students at non-HBCUs.

It's called the "GOOD OL' BOY SYSTEM."

It's called "WHITE PRIVILEGE."

It's called "NETWORKING." --- And traditionally and historically, WHITES are more apt and liable to attain certain employment levels through it.

Yes, there are always EXCEPTIONS; but by-and-large, you could take almost any TOP Black graduate of any HBCU put against even a LOW g.p.a WHITE graduate of GA State and that WHITE kid is gonna get the job.

Please do not be deceived that GSU is "full of no names."

The "BOARD OF REGENTS" is the controlling/governing body for the ENTIRE "University System of Georgia." --- including GA STATE.

MEET YOUR BOARD OF REGENTS:

bor_fy12.jpg

The Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia for Fiscal Year 2012

The Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia was created in 1931 as a part of a reorganization of Georgia’s state government. With this act, public higher education in Georgia was unified for the first time under a single governing and management authority. The governor appoints members to the Board, who each serve seven years. Today the Board of Regents is composed of 18 members, five of whom are appointed from the state-at-large, and one from each of the 13 congressional districts. The Board elects a chancellor who serves as its chief executive officer and the chief administrative officer of the University System.

The Board oversees the 35 colleges and universities that comprise the University System of Georgia, Skidaway Institute of Oceanography and The Georgia Public Library System. These institutions enroll approximately 318,000 students and employ approximately 41,680 faculty and staff members to provide teaching and related services to students and the communities in which they are located.
http://www.usg.edu/

NOTE the ONE Black man on the Board.

....Moreover, GA State also has a historical connection with GA TECH. So, I'm sure some names and clout and "networking" still goes on by and thru its staff/faculty, as well.

... so much for your "full of NO NAMES."

I think HBCUs have some major work to do. I'm a student at GA State(the school mentioned in the article) and I'm also a graduate of community college with more than 95% of it's population consisting of Black students.

I can say with high degree of certainty that HBCUs are failing their students. Not necessarily on the academic side (they do still graduate the lion's share of Black students) but definitely on the employment and entrepreneurship side. Also, they do very little to facilitate beneficial relationship between students and alumni.

When I compare what I see going on at HBCUs in ATL versus what goes on at GSU, I feel bad the students at the Black schools because they're alumni isn't as strong as mine and isn't as engaged as mine. Being able to interact on an individual basis with power players - whether they are CEOs of public companies or small business owners - is powerful. It makes job hunting after graduation miniscule.

HBCUs have graduated some illustrious (and rich) alumni. Yet, I know for a fact that GSU's (which is mostly full of no-names) alumni out-funds that of any HBCU.

It's sad to think that more opportunity is afforded to Black students at non-HBCUs.

Im not going to say that they are 100% failing the students or even 50% may be pushing it. However I do agree wholly that the alumni associations for the most part are weak and this is due mostly to the fact that although we have a great connection with the staff and faculty, institutionally the university that I attended did not create that bridge from student to employment and that needs to happen. This was the case at my university for many students. Secondly how can the alumni be strong and encourage to give back if they are unemployed?? Notice that the best institutions in this country are NOT federally funded. They are funded privately the bulk of which comes from ALUMNI DONATIONS. We need to think about that for a second and then think about who is funding black colleges, the bulk of which are land grant federally/state funded institutions. Then think about the public school system its history and how well that works. Then you will have the answer to your question. The bottom line is HBCUs need to be privately funded and taken out of the hands of the state, the question is how do we do that???

I heard this sad argument in person from Micheal Eric Dyson about his OWN son no less!!! Now I agree that the colleges are not obsolete but they have certainly lost focus and vision. They are so busy trying to keep up with whites that they are falling behind in catering to the specific needs of their students and more important nation building and creating leadership (which they do none of). Getting back on point I believe that if a kid couldnt keep a B or better and doesnt have the focus of becoming a doctor, nurse, astronaut or lawyer they dont need to be in college anyway. It would be a waste of time and money. Thats just my opinion, especially when the job market is so competitive that even the best cant even get the top job it instead given to the best of the best lol. The problem is that degrees over saturate the market today and if you didnt get one in the top fields from one of the top schools you can forget about a great salary (100k or more). But you will look reluctantly toward paying that student loan which could be twice that. SMH...Im not done I have more to say I'll be back lol

And WHY are our children NOT succeeding academically as they should in order to compete for the job markets?

Is it all the fault of their elementary and secondary schools?

Where should "nation building" start? ---Just WHO has failed/is failing our children??

And as far as grades go, some of the most successful WHITE college graduates were C students, at best.---But, WE know that WE always gotta BE BETTER/DO BETTER than them just to BREAK EVEN.

"Everybody wants a revolution but nobody wants to lead."

"It takes a village to raise a child."

And WHY are our children NOT succeeding academically as they should in order to compete for the job markets?

Is it all the fault of their elementary and secondary schools?

Where should "nation building" start? ---Just WHO has failed/is failing our children??

And as far as grades go, some of the most successful WHITE college graduates were C students, at best.---But, WE know that WE always gotta BE BETTER/DO BETTER than them just to BREAK EVEN.

"Everybody wants a revolution but nobody wants to lead."

"It takes a village to raise a child."

I would say that 75% of the problem rest squarely on the white power structure if not more. Yes parents have the responsibility as a mother is childs first teacher and more importantly only a fool would expect his enemy to educate his child...Well there are a lot of **** fools out there. Unfortunately most of us dont have the finance or even the knowledge to home school even if we do,some think we are obligated by the state to send them to school. However if one is lucky enough to have a parent who has picked up a book other than what the white man has allowed him/her they are in good hands, good luck to the rest of em.

I would say that 75% of the problem rest squarely on the white power structure if not more. Yes parents have the responsibility as a mother is childs first teacher and more importantly only a fool would expect his enemy to educate his child...Well there are a lot of **** fools out there. Unfortunately most of us dont have the finance or even the knowledge to home school even if we do,some think we are obligated by the state to send them to school. However if one is lucky enough to have a parent who has picked up a book other than what the white man has allowed him/her they are in good hands, good luck to the rest of em.

After Segregation, almost ALL of us have been largely educated by and within the white power structure.--- So, what is so different NOW from the hundreds of thousands Black high school and college graduates (let's just say) between 1960 and 1990 and TODAY?

What is the difference between the countless Black high school and college graduates THEN who were the FIRST in their families to graduate high school, much less college.....What is the difference between these many Blacks who were the CHILDREN of parents who could barely read themselves and TODAY?

I had classmates reared by their grandfather and grandmother who had 6th and 8th grade educations.--But, those classmates are both college graduates and in successful fields.

Most of us don't come from the "TALENTED TENTH."

So, what is the difference between the generations before and TODAY as it relates to academic performance and higher education?

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back