Black People : Inequality for All: Robert Reich Warns Record Income Gap Is Undermining Our Democracy

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by RAPTOR, Oct 7, 2013.

1. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,097
  2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    too late, it's already gone…..

3. WhatNeedsToBeDone

WhatNeedsToBeDone Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +43

Very good point.

It's mind-boggling how [non-rich] conservatives are so afraid to increase taxes on the rich when it's been proven that the wealth gap is getting larger and the wealthy have generally been the only group to recover from the recession. Most of people have this false notion that they will one day be rich when in reality that's extremely unlikely so they are afraid to make high income people pay more. Corporate manipulation and brainwashing at it's finest.

Even if you look at community property value histories during the recession; poor&working class communities took the biggest dive and generally have still not recovered at all; while high income/upper middle class communities took a notable dive too(though still not nearly as big) but now have generally fully recovered and some have even gained more equity than they did pre-recession.

You can actually view property value history on city-data.com and you can see for yourself by comparing a low income town with a high income town in your area and see how they fared. Chances are they will play out like I have mentioned.

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    :11100: It's not mind-boggling, it's mind control……..

5. Alarm Clock

Alarm Clock Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,030
    So gentrification is going on, in NYC, Chcago, LA, Phillie every major city in the nation cause WE see it that way but White corpoarations see it as real estate bargains!

The Only brainwashing is that we do not see that in out own neighborhoods:11300:

This is where the Black community national Black community needs to stop talking about this "whoa is me" crap that White liberals want us to Kumbaya with them about!

Malcolm X told us in 64 that we should have a ten billion dollar Black Agenda Lobby in DC so we buy politicians just like anyone else!

And if we followed what Garvey, Elijah and he said about Black Nationalism after that first 4 years of that idiot Bush, we would not be pity partying democracy, with some White man, or worrying about a government shut down, or the impending cuts that will come from the new Republican administration in 2016

6. WhatNeedsToBeDone

WhatNeedsToBeDone Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +43

I like your point about the real estate bargains/gentrification thing.

More working/middle class black residents who live in the 'fast-growing urban centers'/'high-demand cities' should attempt to buy the real estate that they live in. I have a relative in the Manhattan neighborhood of Harlem who bought their 1 bdr condo in the early 1990's for ~$100k; now it's worth ~600k.

By strong urban centers, I mean strategic areas in cities who have undeniable high likelihoods of having spikes in property values. According to most sociologists, populations are trending towards urban centers again as opposed to suburban areas (due to many ppl are getting tired of long commutes, lack of convenience, etc); there was an article about increasing suburban population rates that highlight this trend. I would especially recommend the residents of NYC, DC, central Houston and Baltimore to do this. Most of the black people in the city of San Francisco got screwed over by not acting..