If You Love Cereal But Hate Milk Here's an Alternative

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by river, Jan 23, 2008.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    I once had a college roommate from Germany She told me the Germans use orange juice instead of milk in their cereal. This is a great way to enjoy cold cereals that aren't laden with sugar or artificial sweetenerrs--Cheerios, Shredded Wheat, bran flakes, Corn Chex. I pour oj on raw Quaker oats. The wholesome taste of the oats is really good and the fiber really corrects plumbing issues. :D

2. Jaisolovely

Jaisolovely Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    Any other suggestions?

Now that sounds nasty. Orange juice in your cereal?.....eww

3. Zulile

Zulile Well-Known Member MEMBER

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    Try it Jaisolovely!
    OJ on a grain cereal (like muesli).. yummy!
    Also love kwark (yogurt type thing) on grains...
    can never go back to milk ;)

4. Jaisolovely

Jaisolovely Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    Well I might but I dont like to waste food! There isnt a brand of oj that I really like; I rather drink apple juice than oj.

5. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    iHey jaisolovely,

If you already don't like oj this might not work for you. But maybe now you might think about trying something you do like as an alternative to milk.

Think about it. The first person who thought of mixing mashed up fruit with mashed up peanuts then spreading it on bread probably got a lot of yucks and ewees from his friends. But now a pbj sandwich is an American standard.

I challenged my taste buds to go beyond the shores of America. I found other people eat well or even better than we do.

6. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    So that's what kwark is!

Doesn't sound as bad as one may think.

A few months ago I started taking triple fiber supplement. The nutritionist told me it is better mixed with apple or orange juice than milk. If you take grain or oak cereal and blend it you get the same effect. Fiber is fiber. So I started taking this triple fiber mixed with apple an/or orange jucie and fresh fruit. Its kinda think shake but very good in taste and serves as a natural cleanser. Only one problem though. I am diabetic and cereal has a high glycemic index as does orange juice. So I would use lo cal apple juice or better yet, cranberry juice. I haven't gone back to eating cereal with milk since, and have no problems with mucus development from ingesting a dairy product. Since I also used to mix some yogurt in it I will try to find some kwark. I think it can serve as a natural source of vitamin B12 or B6.

7. Fine1952

Fine1952 Happy Winter Solstice MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,781
    Hmm. Interesting!

8. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Hey brotha Omo,

I've been told that the calcium in milk forms a chemical bond with pills rendering them ineffective. I suppose this would be true of vitamin supplements as well if they are in pill form.

Once I cut out cheese and started eating oatmeal what seemed to be a chronic problem with digestion just disappeared.

I made this decision when my aunt told me about a friend of hers who had lost his leg after undergoing bypass surgery on his aorta. He had developed an aneurism on his aorta right before the point where it branches off to the legs due to high blood pressure caused by high cholestoral. It was an eight hour surgery which meant his legs were without blood for eight hours. Only one of them survived. That was enough to make me stop thinking of cheese as a "necessitty."

9. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

Cheese is a difficult one for me but Im working on it. I still gotta have some pizza once a month.

As far as the pills go, thats the purpose of blending them. And why I started using the juice instead. Something I forgot is sometimes I use a fiber supplement like Metamucil.

The aneurism thing runs in my immediate family, on my dad's side and I probably will have a similar problem if i dont get my weight and triclyderide level down.

Same with ice cream. And I only eat yogurt now once in a while.

Kwark/quark itself is a cheese product and hard to find in the united states. In europe its mostly a dessert and it is similar to cheesecake. After doing some research I dont think Im missing much because of the higher fat content.

Thanks for posting this. Got me a little more concentrated on what I need to be doing on a regular basis.

10. tyab14

tyab14 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +78
    Have you ever tried just rice milk or almond milk with some kind of oat cereal? Rice milk seems like it has a close texture to milk (in my opinion).