Black Entertainment : Common, Pharrell, and ‘The New Black’: An Ignorant Mentality That Undermines the Black Experience

Being a politician takes lots of practice and smooth talking, bringing back an initial comment of trying to give a "P.C." response... "black folks" cringe, "white folks" grin. His delivery was not well received, correct?

Thus... "maybe he should stick to something he does best, or get more practice at speaking politically within the era of his new notariaty", which was not saying he shouldn't speak publicly on critical issues.
And how many politicians you (dis)agree with? How many said something that left you like, 'sayyy'wuuuut?' It is interesting to me that celebs are told to 'stay in their lanes' when
they say something worthy of criticism. But when they say something 'we' can agree with, we are like 'right on' (e.g. bill cosby).

Everything influences how many weak minded individuals think, even some of the strong minded individuals have weak moments and can be victim of influential words and thoughts. An opinion can be personal without it having to be universally accepted.
That is true, yet in that same channel we find personal opinions that are accepted. Why do you think espn continues to run to stephen a. smith all the time on matters dealing with race (black folk). Why is fox a media juggernaut? Don't underestimate repetition.
Do we really debate these real questions, are we left hanging in the balance, not sure whether creating a new nation or assimilation is a personal or collective need?
I do not see the relevancy in the above. "New nation"? "Assimilation"? ...Huh?

Martin and Malcolm were presented with these same questions... even though some want to suggest "it was a different time"... does this then make it a different discussion?
...Reads like a question you may wanna put to that "some"(one) else.

What did he say that is worthy of a "boycott"?
It doesn't matter. You brought it up. Just giving my take on it,
so now I'm moving on.

Going after heavy hitters/corporate media wont do anything because there is too much collusion, therefore it is easier to go after (boycotting) the little peons instead?

Self defeating, no?
I can't say. There are people out there
smarter than I just might 'break the code',
that'll get masses movin'. "Self defeating", is
accepting that it can/will never happen, I opine.

The "Pro Black" concepts were about working together.
But when there are elements trying to snatch the movements (of which we are becoming weak at):
  • Orange is the New Black
  • Gay is the New Black
  • Millennials are the New Black

This is what we really should be focused on, as opposed to what Pharrell, Common, Nas, Jay-Z, KRS, Rakim, Lord Jamal, etc says.
Interesting. Don't recall anyone telling 'us' what we should (not) be focused on when cosby had
our attention. It seem to me, again, that when folks disagree with a celeb(s) is when we wanna dismiss
them as being mere entertainers/celebs. The powers that be won't give them the platform, if they
thought it was a waste of time. Do they, those powers, know something we don't know?

And those "_____ is the New Black", they are being addressed. Just
not on corporate mainstream media much. And if they are, they
are given about as much time as boyce (and intellectual likes), was
in speaking critically to "empire".

Where are all the black networks???
That question has several or more answers, for which I am
sure you know at least one.

By the way, thanks for responding... this is a sensitive subject for some, and many don't care to interject in dialog in it, knee jerk responses are expected (as I was guilty of, because of sound bite and clips presented for sensationalism).
Cool. No problem.

by Stereo Williams

Common, while not countering Stewart’s statement, offered his perspective on the way to heal wounds
that have existed on American soil for centuries.

“We all know there’s been some bad history in our country. We know that racism exists,” the star
conceded, before adding, “I’m…extending a hand. And I think a lot of generations and different
cultures are saying ‘Hey, we want to get past this. We’ve been bullied and we’ve been beat down, but
we don’t want it anymore. We’re not extending a fist and saying, ‘Hey, you did us wrong.’ It’s more like
‘Hey, I’m extending my hand in love. Let’s forget about the past as much as we can, and let’s move
from where we are now. How can we help each other? Can you try to help us because we’re going to
help ourselves, too.’ That’s really where we are right now.”

“Me as a black man, I’m not sitting there like, ‘White people—y’all did us wrong,’” Common continued.
“I mean we know that that existed. I don’t even have to keep bringing that up. It’s like being in a
relationship and continuing to bring up the person’s issues.”

Read the rest: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...ity-that-undermines-the-black-experience.html

The fads and trends today's rappers rise and fall-- as do their alleged influence on our young (or not so young) folk-- whereas none of them are activists/theorists/religious leaders/elected black pubic officials...

I. e., what might matters to you, hardly matters much to folk like me, so do back your claims with more than what the talking heads (commercial media spokespersons) are amused by and/or hardly makes them 'experts', not even on what blacks in general are concerned/worried/etc. about, in 2015...

FYI

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back