Black Entertainment : Common, Pharrell, and ‘The New Black’: An Ignorant Mentality That Undermines the Black Experience

RAPTOR

REGISTERED MEMBER
Sep 12, 2009
by Stereo Williams

Common, while not countering Stewart’s statement, offered his perspective on the way to heal wounds
that have existed on American soil for centuries.

“We all know there’s been some bad history in our country. We know that racism exists,” the star
conceded, before adding, “I’m…extending a hand. And I think a lot of generations and different
cultures are saying ‘Hey, we want to get past this. We’ve been bullied and we’ve been beat down, but
we don’t want it anymore. We’re not extending a fist and saying, ‘Hey, you did us wrong.’ It’s more like
‘Hey, I’m extending my hand in love. Let’s forget about the past as much as we can, and let’s move
from where we are now. How can we help each other? Can you try to help us because we’re going to
help ourselves, too.’ That’s really where we are right now.”

“Me as a black man, I’m not sitting there like, ‘White people—y’all did us wrong,’” Common continued.
“I mean we know that that existed. I don’t even have to keep bringing that up. It’s like being in a
relationship and continuing to bring up the person’s issues.”

Read the rest: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...ity-that-undermines-the-black-experience.html

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back