Black People : Columnist Says Winfrey Is 'Furious' at Allegations

Akilah

REGISTERED MEMBER
Aug 11, 2003
Da' Gump
Occupation
Scheduling Coordinator for large Health System
Oprah Winfrey said she is "furious" at allegations that her absence at the recent funeral for Ebony and Jet magazines founder John H. Johnson was a snub of the pioneering black publisher.

A column published Thursday in the Chicago Defender, a historically significant black daily newspaper, questioned why Winfrey didn't attend Johnson's Aug. 15 funeral in her hometown of Chicago. Former President Bill Clinton, the Rev. Jesse Jackson and many notable black media personalities attended the service.

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/special4/article.adp?id=20050826131909990014

It's too Black of Oprah to attend Mr. Johnson's services. It was "too Black" for Oprah to participate with Dr. Claud Anderson via economic package for Black America, then I would assume it's too Black for Oprah to attend Mr. Johnson's services.

Attending Mr. Johnson's services would raise the eyebrows of Oprah's white suburbian, prescription drug induced, soccer mom constituency. That's her base. Oprah won't jeopordize her base if hell froze over.

That's ironic when earlier in her career she made a name for herself as a dark skinned over-weight black women who overcame the odds. I guess once you overcome the odds (Blackness) you don't want to deal with them any more.

I guess she compared what happened to Arsenio Hall and made her choice.

We got to reassess our standards of success. Everyone who succeeds on the white man's terms at the game he wants us to play becomes useless to us.

I'd like to give our Sister the benefit of the doubt.

Perhaps she could not make it there, even realizing that it might be met with such that it has.

We are so quick and willing to believe the worst when it comes to our people.

:heart:

Destee

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back