Black People : Columnist Says Winfrey Is 'Furious' at Allegations

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Akilah, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Akilah

Akilah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Scheduling Coordinator for large Health System
    Ratings:
    +36
    Oprah Winfrey said she is "furious" at allegations that her absence at the recent funeral for Ebony and Jet magazines founder John H. Johnson was a snub of the pioneering black publisher.

A column published Thursday in the Chicago Defender, a historically significant black daily newspaper, questioned why Winfrey didn't attend Johnson's Aug. 15 funeral in her hometown of Chicago. Former President Bill Clinton, the Rev. Jesse Jackson and many notable black media personalities attended the service.

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/special4/article.adp?id=20050826131909990014

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Oprah can get mad at the allegations if she wants, but her absence was notable.

3. Mad Skillz

Mad Skillz Well-Known Member MEMBER

Real Estate
    Ratings:
    +251
    It's too Black of Oprah to attend Mr. Johnson's services. It was "too Black" for Oprah to participate with Dr. Claud Anderson via economic package for Black America, then I would assume it's too Black for Oprah to attend Mr. Johnson's services.

Attending Mr. Johnson's services would raise the eyebrows of Oprah's white suburbian, prescription drug induced, soccer mom constituency. That's her base. Oprah won't jeopordize her base if hell froze over.

4. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    That's ironic when earlier in her career she made a name for herself as a dark skinned over-weight black women who overcame the odds. I guess once you overcome the odds (Blackness) you don't want to deal with them any more.

I guess she compared what happened to Arsenio Hall and made her choice.

We got to reassess our standards of success. Everyone who succeeds on the white man's terms at the game he wants us to play becomes useless to us.

5. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    I'd like to give our Sister the benefit of the doubt.

Perhaps she could not make it there, even realizing that it might be met with such that it has.

We are so quick and willing to believe the worst when it comes to our people.

:heart:

Destee

6. Wisdom7

Wisdom7 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    :hearts1: :hearts1: I think the fact that Oprah made it to Africa and has brought so much love to our brothers and sisters over there more than excuses her for not being able to attend a funeral. She pretty much has started a movement in which a lot of people wouldn't touch or be associated with and has many "rich white folk" redirecting their monies there. For that reason Oprah gets much love from me! :hearts1: :hearts1: :hearts1: :hearts1:

7. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    even it was notable she may have greater reasons as well
    but it would have been respectable for her to have attend
    in honor of one of the finest black pioneer.

8. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I'm all for giving black folk the benefit of the doubt, and Oprah has donated millions of dollars to South Africa which I've given her props for:

http://destee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22833&highlight=oprah+south+africa

However, John Johnson was "THE" pioneer for Black media! He opened the door that Oprah walked through and took over. Her absence from his funeral does raise eyebrows. This is particularly true since both are (were) Chicago based....it wasn't like Oprah would have to travel across the world to get to the funeral.

9. nasco

nasco Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Though many people may disagree with Oprah in many ways including what some say is her apparent disconnect with the realities of the "state" of so-called black America, she is perfectly free to decide her own course of action for any given set of circumstances. She owes no one an apology, so to those griping "media talking heads" and their followers - Get Over It.

10. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    I love my Black People...

for we so love the little things in life. :D

I can't see how Oprah not attending his funeral could be labeled as "noticebly absent." They didn't work together on a lot of projects where their names would be linked. They weren't always seen together. She wasn't his daughter or his wife. So, her absence wouldn't be noticeable to me.

Yeah, he opened the door for her and many others. If that's the reasoning, then every Black person in media should have been there. But, I'm pretty sure they weren't.

If Oprah was absent because of strategic decisions to please d' White man, then it will play on her conscience. Let her conscience whip her butt for not doing what she knows in her heart she should have done...and that's paid respects to the Black man who opened so many doors for her and so many others in various forms of media.

Peace,

Love

and Collard Greens. :D