Black People : Can Consciousness & Wealth Co-Exist?

Hmmm....

imhotep06 said:
Date: Sunday 3/02/2008
Time: 6:00 PM Central Standard Time
Category: Culture
Call-in Number: (347) 326-9377

We are sorry for the technical difficulties from the first show which forced us to start later than scheduled. But we have that all fixed now. Be sure to tune in this Sunday March 2nd for a very sensitive and thought engaging discussion. So call-in and lets dialogue for a minute.

Asar Imhotep
http://www.***************

Simba Simbi radio program
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/simbasimbi

Topic of Discussion:
Can Consciousness AND Wealth Co-Exist?

The number one problem facing grass roots, African-Centered organizations is funding. Some say it is because of the message and narrow market, that prevents organizations from finding adequate funding. Is this true and if so, what can be done to change this? Can wealth and African-Centered consciousness co-exist on an organizational AND and individual level? This will be a call-in show, so come with plenty of questions.
Listen to Asar Imhotep on internet talk radio

mocha HMOC Poet-Trees mocha-versity

First, I will answer yeah,

Secondly, this has been a criticism of mine but nevermind that. But it goes back to the Nguzo Saba and the concepts of Ujima and Umoja. The idea of extended family Kinship or Familyhood and Cooperative economics. Outside of this concept then it amounts to personal wealth, which is anti-thetical to the Mutual Benefit of the collective. This requires a change in Life Styles. Otherwise, it is not truly African-Centered.

It can

but rarely does.

"It's easier for a camel to get through an eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven"

And he aint never lied.

Nobody wants to face the truth because everybody wants to bling.

Aint going to happen.

The only way most people on this earth can survive is the way they always have...

Community=communisn

In any other system, most people can only be two things...

Slaves or Wards.

Might not like it. Might wish it wasn't that way. But eventuaslly, that's what it always boils down to--even in so--called beacons of democracy.

Most people survived the Great Depression of the early 1930's by going Aboriginal in their Counties and hoods.

That's the only way they are going to survive the coming one.

All these black Daniel Boones are going to find that out soon enough when they lose they mercedes, and are back living in Mom's house

Community=communalism

mardukson said:
but rarely does.

"It's easier for a camel to get through an eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven"

And he aint never lied.

Nobody wants to face the truth because everybody wants to bling.

Aint going to happen.

The only way most people on this earth can survive is the way they always have...

Community=communisn

In any other system, most people can only be two things...

Slaves or Wards.

Might not like it. Might wish it wasn't that way. But eventuaslly, that's what it always boils down to--even in so--called beacons of democracy.

Most people survived the Great Depression of the early 1930's by going Aboriginal in their Counties and hoods.

That's the only way they are going to survive the coming one.

All these black Daniel Boones are going to find that out soon enough when they lose they mercedes, and are back living in Mom's house

This is quite different from communism which is a european ideology.

African societies were essential communalist, based on Kinship.

I appreciate all of the feedback. Make sure you listen on Sunday and call in to give your opinions.

But until then, why does it seem like African-Centered, very "conscious" African people can't amass the capital to make the kinds of changes they desire here in the United States? Everyone claims the community doesn't support them. Is it really the community, or is it because they do not provide a service that the community needs short term which could yield higher returns for the organization?

Greetings imhotep06,

Bro. Istlota gave us a very interesting point, as well as others. I think it also matters who is involved in that "co-existence" meaning are we speaking about how it co-exists within ourselves, or how it co-exists within a nation.

In a nation, some of us can be "wealthy" and some of us can be "conscious" and we can co-exist together, forming a bond of respect. When we look at the most conscious among us, our scholars and teachers, those who pass on their knowledge and training to us. Some of them do "ok", but we can hardly call them wealthy. The only place I personally see it existing, is within a Nation. The Nation of Islam might have some bragging rights in that regard. And when someone is ready to invent The Nation of Christ, they will have bragging right too. But for now, the Pastors might be wealthy, but they are very rarely conscious. I don't know where we would place Pastor Ray Hagins in terms of wealth. I would call him an "African-Centered" Pastor, along with a few others around the country.

I think the African-Centered community is not supported simply because "becoming" African-Centered is not supported. We are not being told 24-7 that being "conscious" is good of us, at least not collectively as a people. We are told collectively to be good Christians. Good consumers and Good Americans. You know, all of those things do not sit well with true African Centered folks. Not saying that there are no African Centered good Christians, because there are.

However, even their Churches are not promoted higher than the other religious centers that keep the negro slave mind alive. And it's that mind itself that has been the problem. Some of us make in a week what takes our Brothers and Sisters in Africa months to make. We throw away enough to feed a grown Man, his Wife and two children on shoes and clothing.
If you can pay all your bills for the month and have money left, according to the world- YOU ARE wealthy. So this also deals with how we define wealth and consciousness too.

The African Centered community should design services for their overall communities. I think that would be a wonderful idea. In Atlanta, our NOI Brothas are on the corners selling fruit. I am personally thankful. And since they have a farm they can offer two bags full of fruit for $5. Which is a steal, and a healthy one at that. I would like to see more of that. I would love to see more conscious people creating the products and services that we need.
Saying we love Black people is one thing. Doing something that says we love Black people is a different matter entirely.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back