Africa : Arab Racism in Africa

Blaklioness said:
Actually that question could be correctly classified as 'semi-rhetorical'....I have my views but so do others. I wanted to hear theirs.
"Semi" still makes it rhetorical. This is why I asked how you felt about all religions to clarify because it was all but obvious in your question.

My comments did include the admission of SELF-guilt in case you didn't catch that.
I can't catch something that is not there. Stating "Although Black/African people have many issues with which we need to deal" and ignoring that one of the main issues is the very one I am trying to address (i.e. self-hatred vs. "evil, mind-controlling organized religion"). We have no excuse in 2006 to continue to deflect the responsibility for our own self-hatred.

I'm sure a similar argument can be made that, like Islam, Christianity can be separated from the racist agenda of its core practitioners.
That depends on who you consider to be "core practicioners." And yes, there are people who make that argument. Usually those people don't have a white Jesus on their wall.

However, the fact remains that religion has been used as a tool of oppression......
If we go to the root of it I think we'll find white supremacy and racism, not religion. There was a Supreme Being before there were white folks, so look to the new man on the planet if you are looking for the culprit and not religion. I do agree that some religious doctrine is oppressive, especially when that doctrine teachers you that the color of your skin is a curse and therefore you are destined to be a slave (which is not the case with Islam btw).

only a small percentage of the world's religious practitioners dare to question, challenge, and revolutionize their instititutional beliefs... they're attempting to make their religion work FOR instead of AGAINST them. That is certainly not the case for most people.
I agree, it is not the case for most, and I would like to think I am in the group that questions and challenges.

Blaklioness said:
True on the first point and sadly if those beliefs are working against them.

True on the second point and wonderful if they are truly attempting to revolutionize their religious beliefs.

AGAIN, no religious beliefs should allow people to believe that suffering on this plane will guarantee prosperity on another. THAT is a sign that a religion is being used for immoral reasons.

I agree to a point. If religion is being used to justify suffering without encouraging any change to end it, that's a problem. But reminding people of their eternal rewards offers a sense of hope in the face of that suffering.

Blaklioness said:
...no religious beliefs should allow people to believe that suffering on this plane will guarantee prosperity on another. THAT is a sign that a religion is being used for immoral reasons.
I agree 100%

karmashines said:
That being said, I highly doubt the majority of black Muslims would espouse or support the type of racism Arabs purported in their religion. The presence of the NOI, (a religious/political perspective that offers mindsets that would appeal to most of the Nationalists here), should be evidence that people have the ability to practice religious ideals according to their situation, even if parts of those ideals were once used for purposes of evil.
:bowdown: In fact, if there was no Arab racism I think the NOI would have a tough argument to justify its own existence. I wonder what Bro. Aqil thinks about all this :?:

uplift19 said:
"Semi" still makes it rhetorical. This is why I asked how you felt about all religions to clarify because it was all but obvious in your question.

I can't catch something that is not there. Stating "Although Black/African people have many issues with which we need to deal" and ignoring that one of the main issues is the very one I am trying to address (i.e. self-hatred vs. "evil, mind-controlling organized religion"). We have no excuse in 2006 to continue to deflect the responsibility for our own self-hatred.

That depends on who you consider to be "core practicioners." And yes, there are people who make that argument. Usually those people don't have a white Jesus on their wall.

If we go to the root of it I think we'll find white supremacy and racism, not religion. There was a Supreme Being before there were white folks, so look to the new man on the planet if you are looking for the culprit and not religion. I do agree that some religious doctrine is oppressive, especially when that doctrine teachers you that the color of your skin is a curse and therefore you are destined to be a slave (which is not the case with Islam btw).

I agree, it is not the case for most, and I would like to think I am in the group that questions and challenges.

Maybe reading between the lines might help. Since self-hatred doesn't generally POP into the soul of a person, finding ways to excuse the source of the problem isn't exactly strategic is it? Acknowledging HOW a problem was initiated should never mean ignoring how the problem is perpetuated. I do hope that is clear.

Blaklioness said:
Maybe reading between the lines might help. Since self-hatred doesn't generally POP into the soul of a person, finding ways to excuse the source of the problem isn't exactly strategic is it? Acknowledging HOW a problem was initiated should never mean ignoring how the problem is perpetuated. I do hope that is clear.
I am crystal clear, which is why I said "look to the new man on the planet if you are looking for the culprit." A system perpetuates an idea long after the man who originated it is dead. The system of white supremacy is institutional and permeates through much of everything, not just religion. It is so much more damaging within religion because our ideas of self and God are rooted in religion. When I look into a thing, I like to go to the root of it for proper understanding.

It is also important to recall that Arab is a nationality and not a "race" so a Black person living in Arabia is technically a "Black Arab." The same as white people in South Africa call themselves Africans. My point was that Arab is often substituted for Islam/Muslim when it should not be.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back