Black Education / Schools : Why Was It Called The Emancipation Proclimation?

Senegal

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jun 7, 2016
I always wondered why they called it that. Why that specific word "emancipation"? Why not The Freedom Proclamation or the Liberation Proclamation? How about Abolition of Slavery? Well I did some research and found that emancipate comes from the latin word emancipat- ‘transferred as property'. Who were we transferred to?

I always wondered why they called it that. Why that specific word "emancipation"? Why not The Freedom Proclamation or the Liberation Proclamation? How about Abolition of Slavery? Well I did some research and found that emancipate comes from the latin word emancipat- ‘transferred as property'. Who were we transferred to?

now that's interesting!

From reading, over the years, I think the enslaved were transferred from chattel slavery to a different types of slavery.
Free but, can't walk down the road without papers showing who you working for, or be arrested. There was the chain gang and Jim Crow Laws.
When the enslaved Blacks were freed white people didn't know what to do with them. Crazy confused white folk, the first thought was to send free slaves back to Africa. Couldn't reason that one thru. From reading, the freed males were turned over to the military.

Not copying and pasting.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back