Black History : Sarah Breedlove a.ka. Madam CJ Walker

Isaiah said:
Wow, Mr. Folklore, that's pretty harsh, don't you think? I know brother James can be mad caustic in his analysis, but I don't think the brother is bitter about Madame C.J.'s success as an entrepreneur... I believe we do have to look closer at our heroes as it is not always cut and dried whom we're looking at on the surface...

I don't want to be an apologist for James or Madame C.J.... I just feel that her accomplishments weren't all positive, and James is pointing that out... You know and I know that there's no way that we can say that our Beautiful African women straightening their hair is in any way a positive thing... Comparing it to crack usage is too strong, as well... Would that we could strike a happy medium, and say that she was a sensational entrepreneur who invented something that turned out to be somewhat detrimental to African woman???

Peace!
Isaiah

She was an Entrepreneur a business woman. She did not invent I will say it again did not invent the straightening comb. So that is out the way....what do this thread have to do with straightening hair. Because

she invented a pomade ok ! yall get this
Its like folks dont read the links not the text of replies nor understand the purpose of the thread first its about our history as a people not your opinion
you can't change what have been done.

Far as your first reply Brother Isaiah thank you for understanding the (well maybe) understand the reason of this thread. Because as of now I am really not sure you do. since yall want to make this about african amercian straightening thier hair.

And Brother Pan's comment was a good one How many men disagree, but have dated a african amercian woman that straightenings her hair?

Bascially its like calling the kettle black

and Brother MrFolklore I understand your points you made... but one have to wonder if they are hating on something they really didn't take time to read just point out the negative. This site is about learning embracing and understanding our culture not tearing it down....so thank you for your reply.

Oh yeah...straight hair = crack :hammer: whatever

Now I mean no harm in my reply but get with the topic of the thread.

Peace
Angel

mzblkangel said:
And Brother Pan's comment was a good one How many men disagrees but have dated a african amercian woman that straightening her hair?

Basically its like call the kettle black
if it means anything, i've not dealt with straight hair females for many years.

it's one of the factors that i look for.

What we need to keep in mind is the time period in which this all took place. Black people and exspecially Black women were not suppose to be creative and business oriented. They were deem stupid amongst many other things.

She took a lemon and made pomade! Yes, she sold hair straigtening products but that was not her invention. I don't believe that if she knew for one minuite the negative effect that it would have on the psyche of the the Black people today, that she would have endorsed such products.

She help women to feel more confident and beautiful in a time when they were feeling ugly and helpless. It worked for the most part and then somewhere it turned the other way. Some women started to hate their overall beautiful self and wanted no part of it. That was not her doing or intentions. Black women were hating themselves long before that.

Her courage and determination to succeed in a racist/male chauvinist society, where lynchings, riots, and segregations was normal practice, is phenomenal. The odds were totally against her and yet she was unyeilding. She made an enormous contribution to Black women. She showed them that it was possible for them to take a piece of the american pie.

CJ Walker, a Hero in my eyes!

PurpleMoons said:
What we need to keep in mind is the time period in which this all took place. Black people and exspecially Black women were not suppose to be creative and business oriented. They were deem stupid amongst many other things.

She took a lemon and made pomade! Yes, she sold hair straigtening products but that was not her invention. I don't believe that if she knew for one minuite the negative effect that it would have on the psyche of the the Black people today, that she would have endorsed such products.

She help women to feel more confident and beautiful in a time when they were feeling ugly and helpless. It worked for the most part and then somewhere it turned the other way. Some women started to hate their overall beautiful self and wanted no part of it. That was not her doing or intentions. Black women were hating themselves long before that.

Her courage and determination to succeed in a racist/male chauvinist society, where lynchings, riots, and segregations was normal practice, is phenomenal. The odds were totally against her and yet she was unyeilding. She made an enormous contribution to Black women. She showed them that it was possible for them to take a piece of the american pie.

CJ Walker, a Hero in my eyes!

Sister Angel, I understand the posted topic, and I acknowledge the greatness of the sister's entrepreneurial brilliance, as I said... But can we deny that the straightening of both male and female hair in our communities is a thing we, today, have issues with? I don't put all of that on her, but I acknowledge both sides in this issue... Some are most positive, some are negative, and I don't think it a crime if one sees the negative as being more pertinent to them... I cannot see folks saying that because one sees that negative, they are somehow THE PROBLEM as it were...

Again, I acknowledge our sisters business genius as something for which we should all be proud of... As for African women straightening their hair, yes, I have dated, gone out, been married to 'em, because HAIR was not THE most important thing about them to me... That is not the point... The point is that we now live in an era when we should understand that, and yet still do not... Sisters still straightening their hair because a terrible message was sent to them long time ago, and their passing that on to their children.... While we acknowledge the memory of our sister, we acknowledge that this is part of her legacy, as well... Greater folks than she have had to deal with the totality of their lives being dissected in this way... It is all good as long as we can connect with her in a balanced way... Sorry if I offended in taking this perspective...

Peace!
Isaiah

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back