Black People : Phillis Wheatley: Precursor of American Abolitionism

karmashines

REGISTERED MEMBER
Feb 26, 2005
Born in 1753 in Africa, Phillis Wheatley was kidnapped and sold at a slave auction at age seven to a prosperous Boston family who educated her and treated her as a family member. Rescued from an otherwise hopeless situation by the sympathies of the Wheatley family, Phillis learned English with remarkable speed, and, although she never attended a formal school, she also learned Greek and Latin.

http://www.forerunner.com/forerunner/X0214_Phillis_Wheatley.html

phillis wheatley...

karmashines said:
Born in 1753 in Africa, Phillis Wheatley was kidnapped and sold at a slave auction at age seven to a prosperous Boston family who educated her and treated her as a family member. Rescued from an otherwise hopeless situation by the sympathies of the Wheatley family, Phillis learned English with remarkable speed, and, although she never attended a formal school, she also learned Greek and Latin.

http://www.forerunner.com/forerunner/X0214_Phillis_Wheatley.html
yes very remarkable woman,who wrote to thomas jefferson and altough he admired her writing skill,that racist still couldn't bring himself to admit that blacks were as intelligent as whites.

Yeah Phllis Wheatley was a very intelligent woman but she was also grateful that she was taken from Africa ....I mean she did call Africa the "land of errors, and Egyptian gloom" and also wrote "Father of mercy, 'twas thy gracious hand Brought me in safety from those dark abodes." and in another poem she opens with " Twas mercy brought me from my pagan land, taught my benighted soul to understand" .......I apprciate her for what she accomplished and her drive to learn everything she could about the world around her but I've never been a big fan of Phillis Wheatley....that's just my opinion however..

MississippiRed

MississippiRed said:
Yeah Phllis Wheatley was a very intelligent woman but she was also grateful that she was taken from Africa ....I mean she did call Africa the "land of errors, and Egyptian gloom" and also wrote "Father of mercy, 'twas thy gracious hand Brought me in safety from those dark abodes." and in another poem she opens with " Twas mercy brought me from my pagan land, taught my benighted soul to understand" .......I apprciate her for what she accomplished and her drive to learn everything she could about the world around her but I've never been a big fan of Phillis Wheatley....that's just my opinion however..

MississippiRed

Very true!

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back