Black People : Oakland-woman sends dozens of underprivileged kids to college with her own money

Amnat77

REGISTERED MEMBER
Dec 11, 2006
UK..not for long
Occupation
professional.
In 1987, Oakland real estate agent Oral Lee Brown adopted a first grade class and committed to sending each eligible student to college. She didn't know where the funds would come from, but she was set on seeing underprivileged kids have a chance for higher education.

When the time came, almost all of the 23 students went on to college thanks to "Mama Brown," who had tucked away a nest egg saved from her real estate income.

Now, Brown's foundation continues to make dreams come true for Oakland students, doling out college scholarships every three years.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/20/oral-lee-brown-oakland-wo_n_799389.html

I know her.. she goes to my mother's church.. she's a very very shrewd
business person.. Real Estate.. I know she took a beating with the drop in the
market though.. she's not rich.. she's just committed.. and organized in her
intentions.. I used to rent a building from her back in '01/02'.. it was then that
one of her students she had committed to pay through college was killed in
a drive by shooting down of East 14th in the 80's.. she was pretty tore up
about it.. she's dedicated though.. and her office is right in the heart of all the
turmoil.. other companies are scared to be down where she is.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back