Black People : Identity:The perplexity of defining yourself.(please read)

karmashines said:
Yes, I am aware of your view of blackness which you have a right to. It won't sway my views, which I also have a right to.

Anyway, there are a lot of black people period that form relationships with people on the basis of liking them as people and not whether they are black or not. That is something that is going to happen when you reside in a country where the majority is white and/or allows immigration of other groups. It happens more now because blacks are not legally barred from working at white companies, going to white schools or living in white neighborhoods. It is possible to be of that mindset and still acknowledge racism and do something about it. It is possible to be of that mindset and see the importance of economic independence. It is possible to be of that mindset and realize the importance of strengthening the black family and black relationships.

As far as mixed folks being allowed in black organizations, I see nothing involved with simply being mixed that would go against what most black organizations fight for, unless the person identifies solely with the other side (which they probably wouldn't do if they join such an organization). But if they're going to be called out for not believing ALL non-blacks are enemies well, then that organization needs to get people that think otherwise to join and not invite anyone else.

Lastly, in reference to separatism, I didn't say only black espoused that view... I said I don't consider it an exclusively black mindset. I think most blacks in America share a common body of experiences, so some opinions will be mainstream. Extreme viewpoints on either spectrum (Nationalism, conservatism, Ir, etc.) aren't mainstream, in my opinion.

I'm not sure you're getting my point....Is it possible to roll over and do something about the racist in your bed?; there are implications for that----primarily having to deal with the man or woman in the mirror. Please be realistic....MOST racists aren't wearing white bedsheets and standing on the corner calling Black people n---ers. Racism/nonblack "supremacy" has evolved into something way more sophisticated and covert than that. MOST Black people (especially ones involved in ir) simply find it inconceivable that a nonblack person could mate or be married to a 'black' person and not be racist. Well, I maintain that, if you understand the plantation mindset of the Black masses, then it IS possible---indeed probable---for this to occur. Are you saying then that 'blacks' seeking to produce certain physical features in their offspring ....traits like light skin and the proverbial 'good' hair...are attracting nonracist mates?? Please...in this world, you get what you pay for...believe it.

Blaklioness said:
I'm not sure you're getting my point....Is it possible to roll over and do something about the racist in your bed?; there are implications for that----primarily having to deal with the man or woman in the mirror. Please be realistic....MOST racists aren't wearing white bedsheets and standing on the corner calling Black people n---ers. Racism/nonblack "supremacy" has evolved into something way more sophisticated and covert than that. MOST Black people (especially ones involved in ir) simply find it inconceivable that a nonblack person could mate or be married to a 'black' person and not be racist. Well, I maintain that, if you understand the plantation mindset of the Black masses, then it IS possible---indeed probable---for this to occur. Are you saying then that 'blacks' seeking to produce certain physical features in their offspring ....traits like light skin and the proverbial 'good' hair...are attracting nonracist mates?? Please...in this world, you get what you pay for...believe it.

I would hope a black person involved in activism that may be in an IR would not be involved with a racist person. And yes, I am well aware that racism is more than the KKK burning a cross in your yard. In fact, I would say most of the racism being fought in America (don't know how it is in Africa except for what has been shared here) is of the subconscious thought/action and the law.

And while you say MOST black people in IR think whatever, well, I came from a board where MOST of those type of black people said otherwise. A non-black mate of an activist type black person would have to acknowledge and denounce the racism their race has done.

As far as light skin and hair, yes, there are some blacks in IR that are concerned about that... doesn't mean it applies to ALL. And I could also say that there are full-blooded blacks that also are concerned about that silliness when looking for black mates.

As far as your point, I acknowledged it by saying if an organization cannot allow non-Separatist viewpoints, blacks that don't view all non-blacks as enemies, then that organization needs to invite only those that think that way.

karmashines said:
I would hope a black person involved in activism that may be in an IR would not be involved with a racist person. And yes, I am well aware that racism is more than the KKK burning a cross in your yard. In fact, I would say most of the racism being fought in America (don't know how it is in Africa except for what has been shared here) is of the subconscious thought/action and the law.

And while you say MOST black people in IR think whatever, well, I came from a board where MOST of those type of black people said otherwise. A non-black mate of an activist type black person would have to acknowledge and denounce the racism their race has done.

As far as light skin and hair, yes, there are some blacks in IR that are concerned about that... doesn't mean it applies to ALL. And I could also say that there are full-blooded blacks that also are concerned about that silliness when looking for black mates.

As far as your point, I acknowledged it by saying if an organization cannot allow non-Separatist viewpoints, blacks that don't view all non-blacks as enemies, then that organization needs to invite only those that think that way.

I would hope that "activist" blacks who are in ir would have sense enough to recognize that black survival on every level depends on Black men and Black women getting together. Otherwise, like I've mentioned, what's to become of the 'blacks' they're trying to make life better for? I've said that before and am saying it again because I genuinely don't understand what kind of investment someone who has chosen to marry or mate outside of the race thinks she or he has in black relationships. I worked with a woman who had literally raised all of her children to marry and mate with nonblacks....ALL of them. She has no black grandchildren.....by design. Now she will maintain that she's black and proud..but it is evident that that simply couldn't be the case. How "proud" could you be yet not want to see your own image perpetuated?? If I want something different---to go AGAINST the grain of white supremacy---why should I embrace someone like this woman or her children and grandchildren as 'black'? Isn't that like encouraging more of the same behavior by creating an environment of tolerance around it?

Blaklioness said:
I would hope that "activist" blacks who are in ir would have sense enough to recognize that black survival on every level depends on Black men and Black women getting together. Otherwise, like I've mentioned, what's to become of the 'blacks' they're trying to make life better for? I've said that before and am saying it again because I genuinely don't understand what kind of investment someone who has chosen to marry or mate outside of the race thinks she or he has in black relationships. I worked with a woman who had literally raised all of her children to marry and mate with nonblacks....ALL of them. She has no black grandchildren.....by design. Now she will maintain that she's black and proud..but it is evident that that simply couldn't be the case. How "proud" could you bet yet not want to see your own image perpetuated?? If I want something different---to go AGAINST the grain of white supremacy---why should I embrace someone like this woman or her children and grandchildren as 'black'? Isn't that like encouraging more of the same behavior by creating an environment of tolerance around it?

I maintain it is possible to be proud of who you are, be in IR, and take action to elimintate racism. I maintain that black biracials are no likely to act any differently than any other black person born and raised in primarily black environments. The only thing that might make them different is being exposed to another culture. Whether or not they identify more with that culture is dependant on their personality. And for the record, there are full-blooded blacks that may also abandon their black identity by not only believign the stereotypes but not taking any action to fight them. There are full-blooded black conservatives with black spouses that many activists might dimiss, for example.

As far as image, it's interesting because some of that image IRs produce is no different than what I look like or what you look like.

As far as accepting biracials, activist organizations will continue to go on and allowing their presence whether you accept them or not. Many black people will continue to accept them especially if they look black and identify with black culture whether you accept them or not.

And like I said, if people are just that irked by blacks in IR or biracials, then the organization need not allow them, period. Nothing one says or does is going to get them to divorce their mate, disown their kids or (if they're biracial) not identify with their black side. Doing this will keep everyone on the same page to accomplish whatever needs to be accomplished.

But if this is not done, then time can either be spent arguing about how anti-black they are or time can be spent trying to find ways to work together with whatever common ground one has with that person to achieve freedom from white supremacy.

karmashines said:
I maintain it is possible to be proud of who you are, be in IR, and take action to elimintate racism. I maintain that black biracials are no likely to act any differently than any other black person born and raised in primarily black environments. The only thing that might make them different is being exposed to another culture. Whether or not they identify more with that culture is dependant on their personality. And for the record, there are full-blooded blacks that may also abandon their black identity by not only believign the stereotypes but not taking any action to fight them.

As far as image, it's interesting because some of that image IRs produce is no different than what I look like or what you look like.

As far as accepting biracials, activist organizations will continue to go on and allowing their presence whether you accept them or not. Many black people will continue to accept them especially if they look black and identify with black culture whether you accept them or not.

And like I said, if people are just that irked by blacks in IR or biracials, then the organization need not allow them, period. Nothing one says or does is going to get them to divorce their mate, disown their kids or (if they're biracial) not identify with their black side. Doing this will keep everyone on the same page to accomplish whatever needs to be accomplished.

But if this is not done, then time can either be spent arguing about how anti-black they are or time can be spent trying to find ways to work together with whatever common ground one has with that person to achieve freedom from white supremacy.

I maintain that if an individual is unwilling to investigate the racism in their own mate, then their so-called 'activism' is limited....and severely so. I'm aware that there are full blooded blacks who abandon their black identity.....they're FREQUENTLY found in ir.

If a black organization allows the biracials to enter it....FINE...if the agenda of those individuals is in line with the organization then there won't be a problem. However, if such an organization is nationalist (and invite them in)....it won't be for long---choices made, consequences gained.

I've found few biracials in this day and age who aren't easily identifiable...FEW. If you could depend on them not being readily distinguishable from the general black populace, I guarantee you, in the age where white supremacy is holding a death grip on the minds of Africans, there'd be fewer of them.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back