Science and Technology : I Never Really HATED Anything Until Now

river

Watch Her Flow
REGISTERED MEMBER
Mar 22, 2004
Where the Niger meets the Nile
Occupation
Author
My webhost lets me give users permission to upload files to my FTP directory. Unfortunately, Firefox and Internet Explorer 7 don't have the interface that allows the user to enter the necessary log in information. Here is where I start to hate IE. I have IE7 on my puter. IE6 is unable to install as long as I have IE7 but every time I try to delete IE7 it undeletes itself. Its not in my Add/Remove Programs list so how do I get rid of this pernicious headache? Also I notice IE makes Spybot work over time.

Good! Even though I've developed an attitude that "hate" only messes up the one that exercises/embraces the hate, I can only say that I am glad to see this pernicious piece of that overwhelming pile of computer control generating this emotion. Perhaps this will get even more prevalent as the masses fall for the hype of vista ... "don't! don't! don't believe the hype!"

It is not surprising to find this bit of "anecdotal" evidence that M$ "won't allow" IE to be uninstalled. Way back when, M$ was dragged into court for attempting to tie IE into Win95. MS pledged to not do that with Win95 while doing exactly that with Win98 ... and has only tied it in even tighter.

Having not found an uninstaller in the add/remove programs applet (i've never really trusted that applet anyway; it doesn't seem as if it has ever really removed anything ...), .... (er ... does IE even have a "program folder" on the start menu anywhere? or is it just a program on the start menu?), is there an "unwise.exe" in the "Program Files -> Internet Explorer" folder? (emphasised due to this being the only bit that directly responds to the actual question in the original post.)

river said:
Here is where I start to hate IE. I have IE7 on my puter. IE6 is unable to install as long as I have IE7 but every time I try to delete IE7 it undeletes itself. Its not in my Add/Remove Programs list so how do I get rid of this pernicious headache?
The best way I've found to "get rid of this pernicious headache" is to get rid of Microsoft products altogether. Sadly, however, "the industry" seems to be locked into goose-stepping to the bagpipes of the Win32 platform and most of the stuff that one wants/needs to do "requires" one be tied to that platform. Unless one is willing to do a bit of individual thinking/acting, one is stuck with it ... sort of like this whole bit about being stuck in a "white supremelunacy" world without being able to see any way to get out from under the "oppression" that we seem to be unable to get out from under ...

In other words: sometimes one really must do some of one's thinking for one's Self!

"if one wants to walk free, one must get out of the boat!" oops. <grin>
"if the puter looks more secure on the other side of the fence, it's because they prolly aren't doing winblows."

Seriously; download, burn and try some of the "LiveCd" Linux distros. They will NOT interfere with what is on your hard drive; they will be a bit slower launching some things because the apps will have to be uncompressed and loaded into RAM to run. But, for the most part, one will find that the majority of the functionality that one uses one's puter for is all there. Take a look through some of the apps listed here and see if there are open source/free applications that satisfy "your" software "needs".

Windows XP
1.) 1st install CCleaner (http://www.ccleaner.com) great utility to clean up bad installs + misc stuff. / anyways…

2.) Under control panel add/remove programs go to "add/remove windows components 'UNCHECK' internet explorer.

3.) Then using CCleaner goto TOOLS, then find "Windows Internet Explorer 7" and remove using CCLeaner. / Reboot

4.) Now go back to Add/Remove programs then Add/Remove Windows components put a CHECK back under Internet explorer. / Reboot

5.) DONE, You're back to running Internet Explorer 6

kemetkind said:
Windows XP
1.) 1st install CCleaner (http://www.ccleaner.com) great utility to clean up bad installs + misc stuff. / anyways…

2.) Under control panel add/remove programs go to "add/remove windows components 'UNCHECK' internet explorer.

3.) Then using CCleaner goto TOOLS, then find "Windows Internet Explorer 7" and remove using CCLeaner. / Reboot

4.) Now go back to Add/Remove programs then Add/Remove Windows components put a CHECK back under Internet explorer. / Reboot

5.) DONE, You're back to running Internet Explorer 6

OH! That's what that program is! I once downloaded it after reading the description for it, but never installed it anywhere.

Thanks for the info!

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back