Black History : How important is your mother tongue?

Isaiah said:
Brother Pan, I was struck by these two emails, as we've been discussing these kinds of things at the forum... They seem to speak more to African perception of whom we African Americans are than the reality of whom we are... I makes me to wonder whether learning African languages, and indulging in African Ethnic Culture would even serve to disabuse Continentals of the perception that we are "cultureless..?"

This is giving me a whole new perspective brother Isaiah. I'm sure our inability to speak or connect with an African language/dialog, does add weight to the belief of some continental Africans that we are cultureless.

doing my home work tonight willingly and ready to learn all i can
and speak what i should know how to speak ............................

This should become a class so we can learn the words of our
forefathers ...........who can teach this ???

$$RICH$$ said:
doing my home work tonight willingly and ready to learn all i can
and speak what i should know how to speak ............................

This should become a class so we can learn the words of our
forefathers ...........who can teach this ???

I wish I could brother Rich, but I can't. Africa has soo many languages that it is difficult. For example Nigeria has over 250 languages/dialect. Often different languages exist across each ethnic group, many times dialogs are different in each town/village (even when the language is technically the same). My wife's tiny country of Equatorial Guinea, which is little bigger than the state of Maryland, has several different languages (Spanish (official), French (official), pidgin English (a trade language), Fang, Bubi, and Ibo . My in-laws, who belong to the same ethnic group (but grew up in different villages), spoke different languages. They were able to communicate because they both spoke Spanish (later my mother in-law learned my father in-law's dialect). In addition the other ethnic groups in the country, such as the Fang also have their own language (no doubt with the dialect differences from village to village). Such is the daunting task of learning an African language, especially when we aren't sure what ethnic group we belong to. Any language we learn would only be used by a select group of people. The sad irony is that I think it is good to learn African Languages to get closer to the culture. However if one's goal is to be able to better communicate with Africans, the best language to learn is French. French is the one language which is spoken in practically every country in Africa.

Thank you brutha Pan , I'll seek somekind of class and learn what i can
I have two friendz that came to the states from africa not sure what part
or the proper name of language they speak but surely i am going to ask .

This to be very very important for blacks of all backgrounds to know and understand
something burning deep inside me that i learn this if anyone can teach what little
they know will be a plus to me and my family again thankz brutha Pan , i may take
a class in school for it ......i want to know the realism of this language.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back