Black History : Gordon Parks Museum Exhibit

cherryblossom

REGISTERED MEMBER
Feb 28, 2009
NY Museum plans exhibit of Gordon Parks photographs

WRITTEN BY ASSOCIATED PRESS
TUESDAY, 15 JANUARY 2013 10:39

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) – The State Museum is marking the 100th birthday of photographer Gordon Parks with an exhibit of his works.

The show opening on Jan. 26 showcases six decades of Parks' photographs. It will include his most famous photo, American Gothic, Washington, D.C., which shows a black cleaning woman standing in front of an American flag with a broom and a mop.
2013_0115_AmericanGothic_lead.jpg

American Gothic, Washington, D.C.' by Gordon Parks (1912-2006). Image courtesy Wikimedia Commons.

.....The State Museum display is organized by the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture. The exhibit includes images from the Farm Security Administration and Office of War Information collections at the Library of Congress.

Read more: http://acn.liveauctioneers.com/index.php/features/antiques/8996-ny-museum-plans-exhibit-of-gordon-parks-photographs#ixzz2I5scb0zl

i met him once when i was young. he was encouraging.

That's awesome, Bro. James! Yes, I'm sure meeting another Black man who was your elder in years also with a love of photography was quite an experience for you!

We can't even imagine the obstacles and challenges he had in his life-time as a Black photographer in the racist/Jim Crow years he lived through but he still pressed on.

I mean, think about it... He was 20 y/o in 1932. So, from his 20s until his death at 93, he lived/saw/photographed our living history, telling our story through his camera lens....and for much of that time, it was an exception for a Black man to be in his profession.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back