Honoring Black Ancestors : Dorothy I. Height

Washington post office named after Dorothy Height
By Clutch Magazine

3:34 PM on 12/17/2010

President Barack Obama kisses Dr. Dorothy I. Height during a meeting on Martin Luther King Jr. Day in the Roosevelt Room of the White House, Jan. 18, 2010. (Official White House photo by Pete Souza)

On Wednesday, President Barack Obama signed the H.R. 6118 bill, which gave the United States Postal Service office on Massachusetts Avenue in Washington D.C. a new name: the Dorothy I. Height Post Office.

Height, who passed away this past April at the age of 98, was one of the most significant civil rights leaders of her time. Height served as chair Emerita of the National Council of Negro Women and as the 10th National President for Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated. Height worked relentlessly to secure equality for blacks, women, and the poor while working to desegregate the YWCA.

http://www.thegrio.com/black-history/washington-post-office-named-after-dorothy-height.php

dorothy-irene-heights-102nd-birthday-born-1912-6004906183884800-hp.jpg

102nd Birthday

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back