Black People : Black People and Sarcasm? Is this a Black thing???

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by IntuitioninMD, Dec 24, 2004.

1. IntuitioninMD

IntuitioninMD Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    I am not surrounded by Black People most of the time... but when I am... I have noticed that my people exhibit a lot of SARCASM - which is a type of avoidance behaviour (negative). I am trying to now figure out if Black Men or Black Women are more sarcastic? What is the purpose of SARCASM? A lot of our people address serious issues with SARCASM? WHy? From Webster:

Main Entry: sar·casm
    Pronunciation: 'sär-"ka-z&m
    Function: noun
    Etymology: French or Late Latin; French sarcasme, from Late Latin sarcasmos, from Greek sarkasmos, from sarkazein to tear flesh, bite the lips in rage, sneer, from sark-, sarx flesh; probably akin to Avestan thwar&s- to cut
    1 : a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain <tired of continual sarcasms>
    2 a : a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual b : the use or language of sarcasm <this is no time to indulge in sarcasm>
    synonym see WIT

Do you know people that are ALWAYS sarcastic?
    Are you a person that people accuse of always being sarcastic?
    If so, why do you use sarcasm? What are you avoiding? Why can't you be direct?

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Wow I guess if you are constantly surrounded by humorless white folk, you probably couldn't appreciate the wit & wisdom of Black People. Sarcasm is a form of humor, it can be used ease tension or entertain (as most jokes do). Sarcasm can also be used as a response to a question that has little merit. I think an important issue is not whether or not black folk are more sarcastic than other folk. I think the issue is that you have such little exposure to "your" people that you don't know what characteristics are & aren't representative of them. I find this to be quite sad! As a grown woman with a child no less, why have you not made a stronger effort to know your people? Why do you feel more comfortable around other people than you do your own? I work with white folk as well, some I even get along with! But I talk better with my own...I laugh harder with my own...I share more with my own...I feel more comfortable with my own! Your only attempt to learn about black people shouldn't be frequenting this forum.

P.S. I hope this isn't taken as sarcasm, but IntuitioninMD...PLEASE stop with the dictionary definitions in every thread! It isn't necessary we know what things mean! In the rare occasions that we don't we either ask or reach for our own dictionary (most of us have them)!

3. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    To add to what Brother Pan is pointing out, Sister Intuition, You yourself demonstrate alot of sarcasm too. I don't know if you are aware of this or not, but you do. I think most people respond with sarcasm at one time or another.

One can choose to be offended by it or read in between the lines to receive the message for what its true worth. Its all in the preception or the focus of each individulal.

What I notice about myself, Is when I respond sarcastically its usually done to defend my own feelings. However, this doesn't hold true for everyone.

4. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    One cannot take upon oneself an occassional excursion into the dark communities and cast judgements about said dark community based on the conventions of the pale community to which one is accustomed. If one does such one is bound to misinterpret what one hears and sees in the darker regions of the country. And never venture deep down in the jungle where they actually play that ghastly game referred to as the dozens. Why the last time I went there I had to call for my smelling salts.

Oh but this is precisely what you were talking about isn't it. Forgive me dear for you see I suffer from constant collisions with those dastardly dark folk and I'm afraid I've picked up on some of their ways--including sarcasm.

What I'm trying to say is this condescending attitude you exhibit will always meet with sarcasm in the Black community. Your letter above contains its own guaranteed rejection--I don't know much about you people but I'm here to tell you what your problem is and all you have to do is admit to having the problem that I see from the outside.

5. IntuitioninMD

IntuitioninMD Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    This is interesting. Considering most of the threads that I have created are VERY serious and direct. It seems that your responses are more a form of denial... or is it that you are redefining sarcasm and sarcastic behaviour which is negative.

I admit... there are times that I have used sarcasm but most of the time - more like.. 90% of the time... I DO NOT.

Rather than answering the question.... about Black people and sarcasm, you decided to give me EXCUSES for why I either do not know that our people do in fact use sarcasm all the time or... attack me because I can admit that most of the time... I am not around Black people. I will add though... that I attend a BLACK church and my daughter goes to a BLACK PRIVATE school... but our lifestyles are still very much different than a lot of Black people. I do not have situations where they are afraid to directly address an issue. These people like myself - most of the time do not use sarcasm to indirectly say what we cannot say DIRECTLY.

Also, sarcasm is not allowed in any meeting that I am part of... in CORPORATE AMERICA.

Sarcasm - means that a person is usually to chicken to say what they really want to say.... so they decide to say it in a joking manner so it can be easily accepted - but if it is not accepted that sarcastic person can ACT like he or she was just playing.

Some of our people sarcastically called each other the N*(&*R word...

We should all always strive to be better.. RIGHT!?!?!?

6. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Sistah dear you have a gigantic chip on your shoulder and have been daring us to knock it off since you got here. Has no one told you that using all caps is considered shouting in a message board?

You say we are giving you excuses. Excuses for what? I do not labor under the impression that anyone here owes you an explanation for what you do not understand so we have no need to offer you an excuse.

Going to a black church and school has obviously not given you an understanding of black people so your interaction with people in those institutions can't be too deep. No no, don't tell me--some of your best friends are black, right.

Chocolate girl, climb down. You could get along with everyone if you just climb down.

7. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    sarcasm:: is not a black thing, but a common thing for all races
    used to express what they are saying or feeling in a humor way
    not only do black folks use the N word but it's very well known
    that white people use it in a very sarcasm way and laugh.

No one use such sarcasm in business meetings when at work
    but in the working force everyone have a moment to share some
    humor using a little sarcasm around the office / plant / in the building
    brunch time and so on don't be death ear when white folkz are calling
    you a N word because 89% of the time they are making that statement

Sarcasm :: a cutting or contemptuous remark it can be ironic criticism or reproach
    it also can be used playfully in a manner of a joke which laughter is shared but never
    is it a black thing but a form of thing used by all people yet commonly used by whites
    comdy is full of sarcasm which is a comic style humorous entertainment to express.

I must add that i am very humorous yet playful and never hurt the person or my people
    in any manner or such my use is not to avoid but to share laughter on a subject / place
    or thing at that moment it's not a daily use but when the time is right to add such sarcasm
    i do and we all enjoy it , right now as i speak there is a thread that is humorous sarcasm
    going on and no one is hurt or been attacked but we enjoying it and having some fun behind
    it all .....It's not what you say but how you say it which makes the world of differents

this should answer your question about sarcasm.......PEACE !

8. MzBlkAngel

MzBlkAngel Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +219
    This is so true...very good point Rich the delivery is very important in any communication level

Peace
    Angel

9. watzinaname

watzinaname Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +122
    I am one of the most sarcastic people that I know....That being said, when someone says that I am, it is rarely a negative comment, it is rather that I'm saying something matter of factly, I am a very dry wit. And it is funny that this subject should come up, the last person to tell me that I was sarcastic was a white person who loved the way I wrote about her child's day...I've met quite a few sarcastic white people as a matter of fact....So no, I don't think it's a Black thing.

10. gempis

gempis Well-Known Member MEMBER

strength coach
    Ratings:
    +32
    I've never heard sarcasm referred to as 'avoidance behavior.' That's really a stretch. It's a form of irony in speech, and those who use sarcasm are usually more than able to get their point across and not 'avoid' it.

Further, you can't say only black people use it, or that it's a black thing. I know many many white folks who are about as sarcastic as you can get.