Black People : Black People and Sarcasm? Is this a Black thing???

IntuitioninMD

BANNED
Nov 5, 2004
I am not surrounded by Black People most of the time... but when I am... I have noticed that my people exhibit a lot of SARCASM - which is a type of avoidance behaviour (negative). I am trying to now figure out if Black Men or Black Women are more sarcastic? What is the purpose of SARCASM? A lot of our people address serious issues with SARCASM? WHy? From Webster:

Main Entry: sar·casm
Pronunciation: 'sär-"ka-z&m
Function: noun
Etymology: French or Late Latin; French sarcasme, from Late Latin sarcasmos, from Greek sarkasmos, from sarkazein to tear flesh, bite the lips in rage, sneer, from sark-, sarx flesh; probably akin to Avestan thwar&s- to cut
1 : a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain <tired of continual sarcasms>
2 a : a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual b : the use or language of sarcasm <this is no time to indulge in sarcasm>
synonym see WIT

Do you know people that are ALWAYS sarcastic?
Are you a person that people accuse of always being sarcastic?
If so, why do you use sarcasm? What are you avoiding? Why can't you be direct?

Wow I guess if you are constantly surrounded by humorless white folk, you probably couldn't appreciate the wit & wisdom of Black People. Sarcasm is a form of humor, it can be used ease tension or entertain (as most jokes do). Sarcasm can also be used as a response to a question that has little merit. I think an important issue is not whether or not black folk are more sarcastic than other folk. I think the issue is that you have such little exposure to "your" people that you don't know what characteristics are & aren't representative of them. I find this to be quite sad! As a grown woman with a child no less, why have you not made a stronger effort to know your people? Why do you feel more comfortable around other people than you do your own? I work with white folk as well, some I even get along with! But I talk better with my own...I laugh harder with my own...I share more with my own...I feel more comfortable with my own! Your only attempt to learn about black people shouldn't be frequenting this forum.

P.S. I hope this isn't taken as sarcasm, but IntuitioninMD...PLEASE stop with the dictionary definitions in every thread! It isn't necessary we know what things mean! In the rare occasions that we don't we either ask or reach for our own dictionary (most of us have them)!

To add to what Brother Pan is pointing out, Sister Intuition, You yourself demonstrate alot of sarcasm too. I don't know if you are aware of this or not, but you do. I think most people respond with sarcasm at one time or another.

One can choose to be offended by it or read in between the lines to receive the message for what its true worth. Its all in the preception or the focus of each individulal.

What I notice about myself, Is when I respond sarcastically its usually done to defend my own feelings. However, this doesn't hold true for everyone.

One cannot take upon oneself an occassional excursion into the dark communities and cast judgements about said dark community based on the conventions of the pale community to which one is accustomed. If one does such one is bound to misinterpret what one hears and sees in the darker regions of the country. And never venture deep down in the jungle where they actually play that ghastly game referred to as the dozens. Why the last time I went there I had to call for my smelling salts.

Oh but this is precisely what you were talking about isn't it. Forgive me dear for you see I suffer from constant collisions with those dastardly dark folk and I'm afraid I've picked up on some of their ways--including sarcasm.

What I'm trying to say is this condescending attitude you exhibit will always meet with sarcasm in the Black community. Your letter above contains its own guaranteed rejection--I don't know much about you people but I'm here to tell you what your problem is and all you have to do is admit to having the problem that I see from the outside.

This is interesting. Considering most of the threads that I have created are VERY serious and direct. It seems that your responses are more a form of denial... or is it that you are redefining sarcasm and sarcastic behaviour which is negative.

I admit... there are times that I have used sarcasm but most of the time - more like.. 90% of the time... I DO NOT.

Rather than answering the question.... about Black people and sarcasm, you decided to give me EXCUSES for why I either do not know that our people do in fact use sarcasm all the time or... attack me because I can admit that most of the time... I am not around Black people. I will add though... that I attend a BLACK church and my daughter goes to a BLACK PRIVATE school... but our lifestyles are still very much different than a lot of Black people. I do not have situations where they are afraid to directly address an issue. These people like myself - most of the time do not use sarcasm to indirectly say what we cannot say DIRECTLY.

Also, sarcasm is not allowed in any meeting that I am part of... in CORPORATE AMERICA.

Sarcasm - means that a person is usually to chicken to say what they really want to say.... so they decide to say it in a joking manner so it can be easily accepted - but if it is not accepted that sarcastic person can ACT like he or she was just playing.

Some of our people sarcastically called each other the N*(&*R word...

We should all always strive to be better.. RIGHT!?!?!?

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

Blessings sent to all journeying in 2024 so far
Chevron Dove wrote on cherryblossom's profile.
Sis Cherryblossom,
hoping that you are at peace where ever you may be.
Back